• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Vitamin D and Autism

I would be cautious of Mercola and organisations linked to him, all the above links seem to be linked to him in some way too. He is part of a quack movement who believe a number of things cause autism, including vaccines. I do think though based on my own research that some people with autism are more prone to very low vitamin D, due to genetic reasons. Also vitamin D does play a role in mood, mental clarity, the immune system and a number of other health issues so it is definitely worth taking a supplement if advised to.

I would be cautious of Mercola and organisations linked to him, all the above links seem to be linked to him in some way too. He is part of a quack movement who believe a number of things cause autism, including vaccines. I do think though based on my own research that some people with autism are more prone to very low vitamin D, due to genetic reasons. Also vitamin D does play a role in mood, mental clarity, the immune system and a number of other health issues so it is definitely worth taking a supplement if advised to.
Likewise. I consider Mercola's theories to be quackery.

I don't know if it has to do with my autism, but I know I don't get enough vitamin D - because there are people outside and they watch me for no reason and I can't stand it. Even my own family. If I'm going to be outside, I have to be alone.
I have been taking advantage of the times they go out to run errands, though, mainly because my chiropractor is concerned. Fortunately we have a fence around our current backyard.

I started a thread on it since a number of people have inquired:

https://www.aspiescentral.com/threads/sportsters-medical-issue.16613/

The lab work was fairly routine, though I was impressed that he doctor caught the D deficiency. Most usually admonish me about my cholesterol or tell me that my PSA levels are good, etc. Since taking the D I have noticed that I sleep better and that my skin is starting to clear up.

Anyway, my thread should explain what's happening with me.

Skin starting to clear up? What skin condition was it. I only ask because in January I had an outbreak of psoriasis on my left leg, and I don't mean just "common mild psoriasis" I mean like SEVERE red patches and lesions. I had never had before so I was extremely worried because I know it's a sign of immune system dysfunction (to a degree). When the winter was over (and it was a LONG one here in Ontario lasting almost to mid May off and on) my skin completely healed. I have been out in the sun constantly exposing my legs and arms ect. lately and my skin is so healthy it is glowing.

My doc told me my vitamin D was low, and to take 1,000 iu 2 x day.
I had no idea this could help my mood so much! Buying a good brand also makes a difference.

Vit D helps with energy and immunity. We all know how much energy it takes to deal with NT humans. Our brains need to work overtime all the time to deal with the bovine excrement that people thrown at us

Butterfly, I took 2,000 Ii for months and still tested low, no noticeable improvement.
Switched brands, and WOW. Big improvement! Something to consider, as bioavailability varies significantly.
Much better moods, sleep, and happy joints!

Butterfly, I took 2,000 Ii for months and still tested low, no noticeable improvement.
Switched brands, and WOW. Big improvement! Something to consider, as bioavailability varies significantly.
Much better moods, sleep, and happy joints!
Warmheart could you suggest which brand or type has good bioavailability? (If that is okay on the forum)

I have been taking 5000IU of D3 of the fast release liquid caps. Though it hasn't helped my Autism, it sure has helped the co-morbids I have associated with Autism. I don't hardly have any anxiety anymore and don't go into meltdowns as much or as severe. My blood pressure is back down to normal now.

I would like to comment on Dr. Mercola. He does have a lot of good articles, but yet others I question when they are about something that he sells a product for. So the only thing we can do is do our research and make comparisons. I'm in a couple of facebook support groups on statin alternatives and I think that may be where I found out about Vitamin D3. Don't want to take just any D Vitamin.

Doctor retested me though and said with 2000 IU I am getting enough. I always use the same brand.

The improved sleep is the thing I have noticed the most. I thought my sleep issues was because I'm starting to push 60, plus I've never slept well. Even as child I didn't sleep well.

Anyway, after a few days of D3, I noticed that I was sleeping well. I'd go into a refreshing, deep REM sleep. I even woke up once panicked, because it had been so long since I had slept that good. My friend, D3.:D

Yessiree. I get anywhere from 8 to 10 hours of sleep now. And before I started taking D3 I was lucky to get even 4 hours of sleep. I had forgotten the sleep part. Sportster, I'll be 70 in September so I know how getting older affects us.

Kestrel, I buy the Swanson brand. It's affordable, and I really do feel better taking that, than the grocery store brand I had been buying previously. I think the website is www.swansonvitamins.com . Each product has customer reviews, which I like to consider.

New Threads

Top Bottom