• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Video game movie "curse"

Adora

I was thinking why has Hollywood have had difficulty making a successful movie adaptation of a popular video game,while some may have had some moderate success the majority have failed badly,im just wondering what would be needed to make a good video game based movie,because they seem to not able to break this so called "curse".

Oh my. Mario Bros movie was super horrible during the 90s. Nothing related to the game.

I just think Hollywood are not meant to make games based on movies.

The number one reason is, not being interactive like the games they portray.. It creates a disconnect between the game and movie. How many times have you said "wow this is nothing like the game"? The rest are pretty much ways to save money, which can break any movie. Missing the premise of the original story, rewriting essential plot points to avoid expensive locations, sets or effects. Bad scripting with cliche jokes, situations,etc. Cheap fx/stunt gimmicks that wind up looking totally unbelievable. Low budget actors or good actors but in the wrong role.

Google "German game movie scam" for another interesting reason.

So, what do we need, $100,000,000 + budget, good script writers from the team that created the game if possible,directors that arnt just there to get paid, talented actors in the right roles, next gen special effects, A one size fits all way to interactively participate. that doesn't add to the price of the movie ticket, DVD, stream, etc.

That, and the writing for most games is pure garbage. Games succeed on other things besides creating a consistent, compelling universe, populating it with characters you invest in, and having them act out a believeable storyline.

I'm fairly sure I would watch a Borderlands movie. If they let the games' writers work on the script that is.

Mario Bros movie was super horrible during the 90s.

I fully accept that it's a terrible film, but I'm the only person I know who actually enjoyed that film :tearsofjoy:

One of the worst video game films I've ever seen was 'Doom'. They even put first person bits in it...

I really don't know. I think it's probably to do with the effort that goes into telling a story in said universe.

Having said that though I watch the VR trailer for the Assassin's Creed film. I think what they thought they was doing was exciting but when the action started on the ramparts in was all the same. A load of assassins and guards and all the assassin's were doing was kicking these guards off the walls. That's all they did. I didn't particularly want to watch the film in the first place but after that I was really bored out of my head.

There'd be far fewer horrifically bad videogame movies if Uwe Boll were dead.

Just sayin'.

Yeah, that guy is ridiculous. The fact that he makes so many bad movies 'loosely' based on games and even challenged several of his critics to a fight because they didn't like his movies just shows how pathetic he is.

Here's two online reviews of his video game movies - Alone in the Dark and Bloodrayne.

That Street Fighter movie starring Jean Claude Van Damme, Kylie Minogue and the late Raul Julia, why?! The only casting they got right was Raul Julia as Bison IMO.

The Mortal Kombat movies were good though, at least they were true to the plot of the games.

That Street Fighter movie starring Jean Claude Van Damme, Kylie Minogue and the late Raul Julia, why?! The only casting they got right was Raul Julia as Bison IMO.

Raul Julia was dying of cancer at the time, and only agreed to play M. Bison as his kid/s were huge fans of Street Fighter and he knew it would be the last film he was in.

New Threads

Top Bottom