• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Very Late Diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome: How Seeking a Diagnosis in Adulthood Can Change Your Life

Very Late Diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome: How Seeking a Diagnosis in Adulthood Can Change Your Life 2014-10-15

Brent

Administrator
Brent submitted a new resource:

Very Late Diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome: How Seeking a Diagnosis in Adulthood Can Change Your Life - How Seeking a Diagnosis in Adulthood Can Change Your Life

As awareness and understanding of Aspergers Syndrome and Autism Spectrum Disorder increases, more adults are identifying themselves as being on the spectrum and seeking formal diagnosis. This book discusses the process, the pros and cons, and the after-effects of receiving an autism diagnosis in adulthood. Outlining the likely stages of the journey to diagnosis, this book looks at what the individual may go through as they become aware of their Asperger characteristics and as they seek...

Read more about this resource...

Hi Brent!

Did you read this book? What did you think?

I was diagnosed at 47, so the topic is immediately interesting to me.

Must admit I didn't like this book at all. Its full of "woo" and is very impractical in it's advice, suggesting things like "try moving to another country and changing your name" and "become a shaman, a DJ or a royalty based author" which are just daft for most people.

It makes huge generalisations. It says thinks like "All Aspies have great concentrations skills" which isn't actually true. At one point suggests that female aspies actually have an easy time of it because society is set up to benefit them!!!!!!!!

It relies heavily on quotes from other authors and contains a three page commercial plug for his own private therapist.

I can see why this guy wrote it and I sympathise - it was great therapy for him but I don't think his therapist should have suggested he publish!

So far I don't see self-awareness as "changing" my life so much as coming to an understanding of it. But I still consider this a form of progress.

My diagnosis definitely changed my life. I used to think I was good at understanding people and interpreting social cues. My diagnosis made clear I had deluded myself and vastly overrated my interpersonal skills. It allowed me to make sense of my social problems and understand my past social blunders. Now I know my social skills are below average and this knowledge has given me humility. I can admire and watch people with excellent social skills and accept their superior ability without feeling diminished.

My approach to life is to strive for absolute honesty in all my relationships. I want my actions and words to reflect what I think and believe without a hint of deceit. Moreover I work hard to accept everyone exactly as they are without critical judgement. I trust people even if I know nothing about them. I have stopped worrying about what might happen and accept whatever fate dishes out.

So could my dad become a better person if he sought diagnose?

I suppose, as with all resources... "read the book and find out" ;)

All kidding aside; what exactly makes one needing to be "better" person? Can someone become a better person if he or she works on problematic areas? Most likely. But as with all things of change, the person has to want to change it themselves. When talking autism spectrum, a diagnosis is merely a tool for some to gauge they're "a bit different" something that doesn't neccesarily have to be wrong or a problem.

For me personally, a diagnosis as an indication for change it much like new years resolutions; why does one need an event to start a timeline of change? If you're a terrible person, or you're dealing with a person you consider needing to become "better" (whatever that might mean) there's nothing wrong in working on it right now; no diagnosis needed. Quite sure plenty of people not on the spectrum could work on certain qualities as well.

The other side however is this, and especially when it comes to mental health; wanting to change sometimes requires coaching and support in varying degrees. From all the people I've dealt with who are on the spectrum, none receive the proper support to make changes and maintain them. And as with plenty of people, some really need a bit more support that's on top of it all; we're not all people that can change things solely by ourselves, regardless if there's a different neurology.

Must admit I didn't like this book at all. Its full of "woo" and is very impractical in it's advice, suggesting things like "try moving to another country and changing your name" and "become a shaman, a DJ or a royalty based author" which are just daft for most people.

It makes huge generalisations. It says thinks like "All Aspies have great concentrations skills" which isn't actually true. At one point suggests that female aspies actually have an easy time of it because society is set up to benefit them!!!!!!!!

It relies heavily on quotes from other authors and contains a three page commercial plug for his own private therapist.

I can see why this guy wrote it and I sympathise - it was great therapy for him but I don't think his therapist should have suggested he publish!
It’s a terrible book.

New Threads

Top Bottom