• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Very basic Python coding, what beginner book to get on Amazon?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Above.

Found a Python coding app on the Chrome Web Store, now looking for a very basic book on Python coding so I can try and teach myself.

I did see one for about £6, but I don't know if it's any good.

I did a search on Amazon earlier for "basic Python coding" and found some books including the one I just mentioned.

Can anyone recommend a good book? Or even any free stuff from Google?

Try learnpython.org

The best way to learn python is to just start cracking on it. Also, there may be some python user groups out there that can help. Also, Udemy has a few python masterclasses that start from scratch. Wait till they are on sale, though.

I'll just echo the bit that says the best thing you can do is to just start hammering away at it. Books are great and all, but simply DOING it is going to be the most important part. Try whatever book looks good, and if it turns out not to be.... remember that you can always just try a different one. Some are just better than others obviously but you cant be sure until you've tried one.

I will say one other thing: Prepare to handle failures and mistakes. No matter how smart one is or how determined, anyone learning something like this is GOING to screw up alot during the process. It's just part of the experience. There will be frustration and confusion everywhere. Hell, even once you do know what you're doing that's still going to happen sometimes. So try to be ready, mentally, to deal with that and push past it. All programmers and game designers and whatnot have to deal with this one... no exceptions. If you should start feeling bad or frustrated about the whole thing, you're NOT alone in that. Everyone that does this sort of thing has been there, myself included (frequently).

Just keep hammering away at it despite that, and dont expect the process to be a fast one. Learning something like this is slow and sometimes tedious. But that's programming for you.

I can tell you one thing though: the moments of success are going to be soooooo satisfying. You're gonna love that part.

Good luck, sir. Feel free to talk about your progress as you go!

I'll just echo the bit that says the best thing you can do is to just start hammering away at it. Books are great and all, but simply DOING it is going to be the most important part.

Exactly. Also, try to find projects you might be interested in. Python has a very, very wide range of applications, so as you learn try to direct your studies of that language in a direction you want to go.

Well I downloaded a Python app for Chrome I found last night, and typed in a very basic "Hello World!" script, and it worked, well all I typed was PRINT "Hello World!" and then RUN.

I've seen a book I want on Amazon UK about games with Python including Tic Tac Toe (Noughts and Crosses) and other stuff.

@Observant thanks for the book, I'll print it out.

No problem! Let me know if there's anything I can do to facilitate your journey into Python3.x. If there are any Python Meetup groups in your area I would highly suggest linking up with them as well. I've got a local group that has a lot of Python programmers that are also in bioinformatics and machine learning, so its always fun to see different applications for the same language.

Right now I'm focusing on this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Doing-Math-P...959792&sr=8-3&keywords=doing+math+with+python

One more thing: If you are gonna purchase a physical book, I highly recommend this one: https://www.amazon.com/Practice-Programming-Addison-Wesley-Professional-Computing/dp/020161586X

There's plenty of people who know how to code, but there are considerably fewer people who know how to code in a way that can be easily understood by other people.

I saw a book in Watarstone's yesterday for £25.99, then I saw the exact same book on Amazon for £18, ordered it, looked on Amazon for something else and found a beginner level book for less than half the price so I cancelled the £18 one (just in time, it was being prepared for dispatch, would've come today) and ordered the cheaper one, which will come some time today thanks to my Prime account.

New Threads

Top Bottom