• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Using Television "Soap Opera" Mode

Judge

V.I.P Member
Anyone us this on their widescreen tv sets?

Samsung refers to it as "Clear Motion". Sony calls theirs "Motion Flow" technology. 30 frame per second viewing (video) as opposed to 24 frames per second (film) that makes everything like like high-definition video. Ultra realistic. Artificially increased refresh rates.

Most people seem to dislike it intensely. But it is weird to use on very fictional sources...like sci-fi films and dystopian futures.

Sounds cool. Unfortunately not a feature on my Samsung wide-screen (it is a slightly older model so that may be why)

Sounds cool. Unfortunately not a feature on my Samsung wide-screen (it is a slightly older model so that may be why)

You might have to dig into your menu to find it. On mine it's buried in the "picture options" section. Not really sure how long this sort of technology has been out there.

You might have to dig into your menu to find it. On mine it's buried in the "picture options" section. Not really sure how long this sort of technology has been out there.
Yep its not in there. There is 'dynamic' mode, 'normal', 'natural'(or something like that) and 'movie'-movie gives stuff a sludgy instagram filter the only thing I find it good for is streaming programmes and movies where the picture is a bit pixelated and jerky, the movie mode smooths it slightly but not as much as you're describing. My TV is new-ish but pretty sure it is an old model as it was very cheap :)

Yep its not in there. There is 'dynamic' mode, 'normal', 'natural'(or something like that) and 'movie'-movie gives stuff a sludgy instagram filter the only thing I find it good for is streaming programmes and movies where the picture is a bit pixelated and jerky, the movie mode smooths it slightly but not as much as you're describing. My TV is new-ish but pretty sure it is an old model as it was very cheap :)

Yeah, those settings have nothing to do with your set's refresh rate. It sounds like your tv is only capable of a 60 hz native refresh rate. Most of the smaller or cheaper widescreen sets still use it.

Which if the case, you won't have an "Auto Motion Plus" submenu which in effect allows you to raise this refresh rate artificially to reduce judder and pixellation. But in doing so it does create the "soap opera effect". Much clearer picture though...but as I said most people have a hard time getting used to it. Most of the time I keep mine at the "clear" setting which really doesn't make the most of it. But on occasion it's just fun to switch over to 30 frames per second viewing. Especially on some very fictional programming. Weird to see CGI so clear and crisp at times. Really funky....:cool:

My tv is almost three years old, but it's a higher-end model (smart tv) capable of 120hz at 1080p.

Here's a chart showing the artificial refresh rate capabilities of various tv sets:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/fake...otion-rate-vs-sony-motionflow-vs-lg-trumotion

Don't fret about it though. You may see this at a tv store and discover it's a visual effect you really don't like. A 60 hz refresh rate makes motion a little blury at times, but it's not all that bad. The pixellation with extreme action is what really annoys me.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom