• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

USA Self Employment Program

The Penguin

Chilly Willy The Penguin
If you live in the USA and want assistance to start your own business, the Self-Employment Assistance program might be good for you. To enroll, you must be eligible to receive regular unemployment insurance. Details of this program are at Self-Employment Assistance, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor . Currently, only Delaware, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New York, Oregon, and Rhode Island offer this program. If your state does not offer this program, it's recommended contacting your congressman to convince your State to enroll into this program. I found two articles, Self-Employment Assistance Benefits - Is Your State One of the 7 Offering Them? | OPEN Forum and https://www.sba.gov/blogs/laid-and-want-start-business-self-employment-assistance-programs-may-help that explains about the program.

There might be other business programs in your local area. To inquire, contact business associations, your city, state or federal government. If you do find a new business program that is not listed below, please help expand this list.

Here in Tennessee, we have the Department of Human Services, which helps qualified people to train for and find and retain employment. I have been taking advantage of this service over the past couple of years and my experience has been nothing but positive.

Sad thing? I didn't even know it existed! I had to actually call the Social Security office after my therapist mentioned it to get any information about it whatsoever. I fear many people are unaware of such programs, when it could help them so much.

Sad thing? I didn't even know it existed! I had to actually call the Social Security office after my therapist mentioned it to get any information about it whatsoever. I fear many people are unaware of such programs, when it could help them so much.

It the same here for Canada. Many services people don't know that exist for their own country.

As far as self-employment programs, I am unaware of any that exist here, but there might be a particular extension or program of the DHS of which I am unaware.

[edit: DHS here does NOT mean "Department of Homeland Security," lol.]

What happen is one day I was speaking to a friend in Florida. She said she wished self-employment program existed like one does in Canada. After 30 minutes of me doing Google search, I found information which I shared in this post. Though I was hoping all your States have the program like we do in Canada.

If I wasn't as set as I was, I don't know if I'd be willing to check if my state has some variation of it or not. The last time I went down to get help getting a job, they basically just took me to a row of computers, signed me up for the state's official job board, and told me to start posting my resume. o_O
Best bet around here is to find a good staffing agency.

New Threads

Top Bottom