• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Unhealthy "Aspies"

Hi AutistheFrog Welcome to Central :) I have muscular-skeletal conditions that are related to my ASD, purely as a result of poor balance & co-ordination, which led me to have a lot of falls over the years. Also, my inability to judge the speed of things sometimes means I've been hit by vehicles a couple of times. I think I may have quite a high pain tolerance threshold & so can't always be an accurate barometer of when to seek medical treatment, which has been detrimental to my health previously too :)

I've heard a lot of people (doctors, researchers, mothers etc) talk about how kids with asperger's often have health issues. From my observation it works much like the autism itself in that it's more of a susceptibility and statistical offset towards Murphy's law. A low Fortitude Save from base stats if you will.

I have a number of issues that plague me and often I've been told by experts and doctors that these issues are more common to people with asperger's. For example: It's not very likely that someone would develop lactose intolerance out of nowhere in their mid-20's but it's most common among aspies. We are said to have weak stomachs.

Consider briefly the idea that many things often associated with asperger's (which is a syndrome, not a disease) such as bipolar, BPD, OCD, ADD, depression, anxiety and the like. While asperger's itself is only qualified as a collection of common symptoms (being a syndrome) it could be theorized that it is merely a category of common synergetic results of a collection of other psychosis. Then one can look as those psychosis and see that they lie in raw chemistry as an imbalanced production/reception of chemicals needed to feed the brain.

Then could it not be such a far stretch to think there may be an indirect yet definite correlation between a chemical deficiency causing the brain to starve of its function to also affect the stomach or bones? Even more indirect yet still valid is the cause/effect relation between the mind and the body. Look at how an introverted artist may be more susceptible to scoliosis from the constant "nose in the pad" life, lack of physical development and less ambition for things like sports. While there is no gene for "artist" just like there is no gene for "asperger's," I believe a correlation to the physical can and does exist.

I have heard and seen more cases of aspies with some physical issues than not. Exceptions are always out there but I'm talking more of susceptibility, not hard-coded genetics.

Some illnesses, particularly gastric illnesses, are stress-related, and as we tend to suffer from stress more than N/T people, that could explain at least some of the issues discussed here; but I'm no doctor, so I could be wrong.

New Threads

Top Bottom