• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

'Understanding the Workplace' course for autistic women

Aeolienne

The National Autistic Society is running a two-day course on 'Understanding the Workplace' for autistic women. Various dates are available, all at their London HQ in Islington (around the corner from Angel tube station). I've booked for March.

More information

These things really annoy me, it should be a course for "Understanding the Workplace" for autistic PEOPLE!

So all autistic men are apparently perfectly fine and don't need any support in understanding the workplace? Well this must be true since I would be refused entry simply because I am a man and this is the mentality that the NAS are now teaching. I'm sorry, but unless they also have exactly the same course for men this is totally sexist and you'd expect much better from an autistic charity, not that the NAS do a lot anyway and when they do they do this, please click here for more on what I think of them in general.

PS: I feel like calling them to give them a piece of my mind.

Last edited:
I assume the idea is that men and women have different issues and can present autism very differently, and since most resources and support and very much male focused (due to the lack of understanding of female autism) having resources specifically for women balances things out a bit...

I assume the idea is that men and women have different issues and can present autism very differently, and since most resources and support and very much male focused (due to the lack of understanding of female autism) having resources specifically for women balances things out a bit...
I've never ever seen any men only autistic courses or anything else for autistic men only where women have been excluded. If they think that the course material is different for autistic women, then there should be an autistic men only course too because just as many men are also affected in the workplace, but I don't believe there is enough specific material just for women that warrants excluding men in this case, most of the material would apply to all autistic people and if there was anything specific it could be covered quickly or perhaps even men and women could get into different groups. The course is titled, "Understanding the Workplace" in general where both men and women work in masses of different roles, it's not about the differences between autistic men and women, if for instance we watched a video about understanding how office politics worked it would be equally helpful to both men and women. As it stands autistic men are totally excluded entirely because they're born a man even though they need this just as much as women. Of course if they did an autistic men only course where women were not allowed to attend, people would be crying out that it was sexist and they wouldn't dare do it for that reason, but not the other way around and yet the principle of it being sexist is exactly the same. Equal rights should mean equal rights.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom