• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tyson's Run

Ken

V.I.P Member
I just watched the movie, Tyson's Run on Friday.
I'm curious if anyone else here has watched it and if so, what do you think.
It's about a 15 year old autistic boy that was inspired to run a marathon in order to make his father not be so disappointed in him.

My thoughts a little later. I'm at work and have to go...

I haven't seen the film yet, it sounds interesting. I look forward to reading your ideas on it.

Whew, a brief breather...

I noticed the movie Tyson's Run was showing in a local theater. I looked it up and was intrigued. I was also intrigued by the fact that Major Dodson, the actor playing Tyson, is also autistic. My wife and I went and watched it.

I thought the movie appeared to be very low budget. I felt the acting and production was really bad and much of the scenes were contrived and lacking realism. I was surprised when my wife, at the end of the movie, said she thought it was good and that she enjoyed it.

In any event, it is a good story. I did see myself in some of Tyson's traits, but not all. I guess that's normal as autism is a spectrum. For example; Tyson did not seem apprehensive at all to raise his hand in class. I don't think I ever raised my hand in class - ever - throughout all my school years. I was terrified at just the thought I might get called on. Tyson also seemed OK to just start talking to strangers. Not me ever. Tyson was depicted as having an interest in astronomy. That was (is) me. I also got chairs pulled out from under me. I never had a girl friend. I was less popular than Quasimodo. No girl ever wanted to sit next to me much less show any affection or help. I did get married, but that did not happen in any conventional boy meets girl manner. Too long a story for here. My father hated me far more than Tyson's father. Tyson's father was just disappointed. My father, however, did enjoy bullying me. In all my life, my greatest bully, by far, was my father. I never had any thought of any possibility that I could do anything that could make him proud. Nor did I want to.

My takeaway of the movie is: to never count anyone out - not even yourself. Everyone has the option of being surprised at anyone's achievements - even your own.

Oh, just wanted to add another of Tyson's traits that I have; he arranges his food on his plate. I have always done that - always.

This film sounds interesting, I hadn't heard of it before, I hope to see it soon.

Your points about your father are heart rending, @Ken that person did not deserve to have a child. Shame on him.

New Threads

Top Bottom