• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Two great rock concerts ruined by distraction anxiety

Edward764

My favorite form of entertainment is rock concerts. I have been to about 35 of them over the years. About 25 of my concert experiences have been positive and free of significant distractions, but about 10 of them, including the two this week, caused me high anxiety.

These 10 concert distractions, like many in my later years in the classroom, do not seem related to others sensing my vulnerability, but it seems there are other forces in the universe we do not understand that create these odd realities. I am alive today due to many of these odd realities, but am grossly under achieving and unsatisfied due to other odd realities. Many are odd by themselves, and some odd due to their frequency.

After feeling wired for about four weeks, I finally felt this last Tuesday that I was snapping out of it, as I greatly anticipated a Brit Floyd concert. I saw them last year without distraction and they were fantastic. This time, I went home despondent and wired.

I purchased a small four dollar popcorn, but the clerk said she was out of small boxes, so she game me the large $11 tub for no extra charge. Little did I know this generous move would ruin the concert. When I returned to my seat after intermission, half the popcorn was spilled in front of my seat. I didn't eat it since it was stale.
During the best part of the concert, my feet were slipping in greasy stale popcorn, which concerned me when we stood up for applause or letting people by.
As with most of the 1000 plus specific distractions I have experienced in life, the anxiety came from not enjoying my 2nd favorite song of all time to the fullest, and that I was alone as the only concert guest with popcorn under my seat.
I was therefore miserable and wired the next day due to another "What are the odds" moment. The rational part of me knows this is not a big fricken' deal and nothing to be upset about the next day, but the irrational part of me prevailed.

Last night was worse. I saw an absolutely fantastic Jethro Tull concert, and was convinced at the beginning that this would be a distraction free night.
But during his first song, the arena starts swaying, like a giant raft on a boat. We were feeling the 7.1 earthquake from Ridgecrest.
I called my folks to see if they were OK, and then about 10 minutes later, a terrible chill came over my body, and this great concert was then ruined. It dawned on me suddenly that there was no way to know if my apartment avoided damage. I was concerned about a tilted lamp that I was afraid would tilt over and start a fire.
I was also worried that my 15 cassette tapes that have the first 30 years of my autobiography might be ruined since they were in a bookcase near the front, and could topple on the floor with the case falling on them. I also knew I would not get home for another four hours, and there was no one I could call to check up on things since I live alone. I was miserable during a great concert.
I should add that I am fully aware of the fact that I am one of luckiest people on this planet with regards to avoiding major disasters. I would never trade any of my 1000 + unlikely satisfaction destroying life events for even one more normal destructive malady, such as being maimed in a car accident or an earthquake. It is as if I have a guardian angel watching over me, and I count my blessings every day. I think this is why I will never go insane. I will never take my great survival fortune for granted.

There is one concert distraction that happened about 12 years ago, and I would like to know if the fellow next to me was sensing my vulnerabilities, or would have been discourteous to anyone. I was trying to enjoy a great triple concert at Mandalay Bay, when the strange fellow next to me starting pounding his empty water bottle on our shared seat handle throughout the concert. Of course if I was not such a whimp, I would have politely told him to stop, but I let him do it for three hours.
I did not know him, but was he somehow able to size up my vulnerabilities in about five minutes?

It dawned on me suddenly that there was no way to know if my apartment avoided damage. I was concerned about a tilted lamp that I was afraid would tilt over and start a fire.
I was also worried that my 15 cassette tapes that have the first 30 years of my autobiography might be ruined since they were in a bookcase near the front, and could topple on the floor with the case falling on them. I also knew I would not get home for another four hours, and there was no one I could call to check up on things since I live alone. I was miserable during a great concert.

That would have bothered and distracted me too.

I should add that I am fully aware of the fact that I am one of luckiest people on this planet with regards to avoiding major disasters.

It's good to reflect on those things. There are differences between what we know to be true and what we feel I guess. Meaning for example that I know how fortunate I am, yet I still have feelings and annoyances over many things.

the strange fellow next to me starting pounding his empty water bottle on our shared seat handle throughout the concert. Of course if I was not such a whimp, I would have politely told him to stop, but I let him do it for three hours.
I did not know him, but was he somehow able to size up my vulnerabilities in about five minutes?

Sounds to me like he was simply unaware of how annoying he might be. I have from time to time asked people to stop doing things like that...but it is hard to do. The last time I went on a airplane the people behind let their child kick the seat for half an hour. I couldn't take it so I turned and scowled a few times. It continued, then I said something. People just don't think sometimes. I'm sure I'm the same :/

Glad you were okay - and I'm assuming your home and belongings too - in the earthquake.

The only thing responsible for your underachieving is yourself.

When these distractions ruin it for you, you're allowing them to ruin it for you by fixating on them.

We must live close to each other! I also felt the earthquake, but it was not strong where I am, just a gentle rocking.

I was so glad to read about your rational side in that bit in the middle!

The only thing responsible for your underachieving is yourself.

When these distractions ruin it for you, you're allowing them to ruin it for you by fixating on them.

We must live close to each other! I also felt the earthquake, but it was not strong where I am, just a gentle rocking.

I was so glad to read about your rational side in that bit in the middle!

I am in general agreement, although not with the word "only".
I had a great job interview about 13 years ago, and was told that they wanted to hire me, and that I was missing the last qualification. The job was 52 miles away.

I went back next year with this qualification, and I was given an 11am interview that I marked in my calendar.
I arrived 45 minutes early at 10:15, but they had me down for a 10am interview. I could not prove it was not my mistake, but I got a late courtesy interview, and obviously was not hired.

That would explain the loss of one job, not any overarching lack of success. Whether or not that single setback defines your life is up to you.

Oh no, I sound like a motivational speaker! :eek:

Replace the word "only" with "ultimate", and I would be in agreement.

I was already about 50 years old when I had this single setback. so it is one variable.

New Threads

Top Bottom