• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Turned down for diagnosis.

I need the diagnosis foremost to get help. I need a social worker to give me a report saying my housing situation is unsuitable as being social housing, there seems to be a higher risk in my flat complex, of anti social males being housed here. I have had various problems with such who bully me.

It will also confirm me and give me validation regarding the lifelong problems l have had, all very common here. But of course l will survive without a diagnosis and will continue to say l am on the spectrum where appropriate. Unfortunately l come across as very capable because of my intelligence.

Isn't housing anti-social males along with normal people a frigging problem in the first place?! Western insanity at it's finest.

Keep pushing is all I can say. Mental health is filled with incompetent know-it-alls and you just gotta keep rolling the dice until you come up with something. I think my first diagnosis was psychopathy, then schizoid and a bunch of others. Autism didn't come up until at the end.

This is disheartening. l will never try to be tested because it seems hit or miss. And l maybe misdiagnosed with some other mental illness like cat-mania -DSM page 423, watching too many YouTube videos on cats exceeding 3.49 mins. without taking bathroom breaks. It was just added last Friday, should be in next edition. lol

Last edited:
This is what happens when you meet so-call professionals relying on old, outdated and unreliable text book cases and testing methods, and not actual real world expereince of autistic people and their variety of skills and abilities. It's another one of those myths that autistic people don't have imagination. That would mean: they don't have a sense of humour, they can't tell stories, they can't enjoy fantasy or any kind of fiction, can't write poetry or write books. Which is plainly just not true. What is comes down to is NT professsionals diagnosing a condition that they don't epexerience for themselves, so how can they really ever relate to ir or really know what it is? They don't, so they rely on their test and case studies, which might be representive in some way of a few people with autism, but certainly not all people.

This is what happens when you meet so-call professionals relying on old, outdated and unreliable text book cases and testing methods, and not actual real world expereince of autistic people and their variety of skills and abilities. It's another one of those myths that autistic people don't have imagination. That would mean: they don't have a sense of humour, they can't tell stories, they can't enjoy fantasy or any kind of fiction, can't write poetry or write books. Which is plainly just not true. What is comes down to is NT professsionals diagnosing a condition that they don't epexerience for themselves, so how can they really ever relate to ir or really know what it is? They don't, so they rely on their test and case studies, which might be representive in some way of a few people with autism, but certainly not all people.

But to have spectrum clinicians composing and authoring the DSM would mean it probably would go from 400+ pages to 10, 000 pages because we would classify every nuance of human behaviour and then some. Plus we could add a coloring book at the end along with favorite recipes just to round out content all in the name of science.

I don’t think 90% or more of psychologists/psychiatrists have any business granting or denying an autism diagnosis. It’s just too nuanced and complex. It should only be diagnosed by psychs/docs who have made a speciality of it.

The original poster being denied a diagnosis for the reasons he/she specified is astonishing. Did those clowns even read the DSM? It says NOTHING about lacking imagination. It says autistic people (kids, I presume) often don’t have any interest in engaging in imaginary play with other people. As in, many of us prefer to play alone in our own little worlds of imagination. I’ve always had a prodigious imagination, much more developed than my NT peers’, and I’m definitely not alone according to other threads on this site.

As for eye contact: abnormalities in eye contact is listed as an example,—one of several,—of deficits in social communication. Some people have no trouble with it at all. Others do have trouble but don’t mask it for whatever reason, and still others do mask it and thus appear to have no issue.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom