• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Trying to get people's attention

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
As a photographer I am ultimately an amateur (in the sense that it has always just been my hobby), not talking about ability level

This month is our annual Photography Festival month, and typically a few encounters with other photographers, especially ones with photo shows for the month... I attend some of the opening receptions and try my best to do a little networking, but always find that if I'm not a "Pro" photographer it often becomes a case of - "Who are you?"... I'll even add them sometimes on social media, make a nice comment related to a conversation we had, and most often never hear back at all, like I'm a nothing person, as anonymous as ever, nothing ever happens...

Or maybe because my socializing skills are lacking, I do realize that an artist at their reception is busy talking to multiple people, including people who are their friends and family... Just that attempts to connect go nowhere, when I see vast networks of pro photographers, everyone knows everyone, except me of course...

(Edited)

So, I can't really express my opinions on this without including a ton of prerequisite information, observations, and anecdotes. So I'm not going to do all that unless prompted. What I will say is: it's not you, it's them. People don't go to these things to socialize or express their creativity. Instead, they are looking for people to trade favors with and, if you can't do anything for them professionally, they won't pay attention to you - and they can be very rude about it.

Last edited:
To rich people networking has a very different definition.

I'm not certain everyone I'm referring to is necessarily rich, but they are very well connected... And I will admit that I am a poor man in a rich mans hobby, always have been... And I do struggle with socializing with a crowd at receptions, especially when they are larger crowds

I am a poor man in a rich mans hobby
*also see my edited post above*

I'm glad you are aware of this. It's not about money per se, but attitude - lots of snob appeal and social pageantry. People trying to "make it" in the business aren't trying to be great photographers, but great marketers who happen to have a camera.

I urge you not to feel outcast as a creative, but as a businessman. Very few of those people are there for the photography and won't talk to you unless they can get something.

Another "rich person's" hobby I picked up over a decade ago was cycling. I quickly found out how elitist cyclists are, how much they prefer gatekeeping over riding, and how many of them seem willing to die to prove a point. I love riding my bicycles, but I don't want anything to do with other riders because they aren't in it for the same things I am.

I've found it's the same with photography.

Sounds like the business side of things has a touch of nepotism involved, it's not what you know, it's who you know.

I know an older NT guy with an extensive resume and many good connections who also complains about seldom getting replies. People are just overwhelmed with opportunity these days.
If you are going to meetings, it is probably better to ask other people about their work than to try to interest them in yours. Oddly, the more they talk to you, the better they think they know you. I guess they at least know you won't blow up on the topics covered.

I want to note my earlier comments about cyclists are referring to American, recreational cyclists. Not commuters or those in countries where bicycles are not so much a status hobby.

it's not what you know, it's who you know
IMO it's more about knowing how to perform in social interactions. Most of socializing (and therefore success) lies in portraying oneself as trustworthy and consistent to a specific person/group. Of course, this is deceptive and morally ambiguous behavior, which is why it takes certain types of people to thrive in these spaces.

Real artists will talk shop with anyone because they know perspective and insight can come from absolutely anywhere. But hopefuls and posers will dismiss anything/anyone that doesn't meet their unsophisticated expectations - they aren't confident enough to make their own assessments, so they rely on superficial social beacons to (mis)guide their efforts. There's no rationale to feeling down because of these people ignoring you.

Do you have to identify yourself as pro or amateur?

You could just say you specialize in photographing vintage cars, for example.

if you can't do anything for them professionally, they won't pay attention to you
Very much this, yes.

Real artists will talk shop with anyone because they know perspective and insight can come from absolutely anywhere.
Yes and no. My policy when I share a photo online is that if someone wants to know how I did something, I will completely disclose my technique. I only achieved my skill level because others took the time to teach and mentor me. It is now my obligation to pay that forward.

When it comes to socializing with other photographers, I try to avoid socializing with complete newbs who will spend the entire visit peppering me with questions. If I hang with another photog these days, it's only after I've looked at their work and have decided I respect it, their vision, and their skill. (Tip of the hat to @Sherlock77 here.)

I don't care if someone is a pro or a hobbyist. Either your portfolio speaks for you or it doesn't.

Last edited:

When it comes to socializing with other photographers, I try to avoid socializing with complete newbs who will spend the entire visit peppering me with questions. If I hang with another photog these days, it's only after I've looked at their work and have decided I respect it, their vision, and their skill. (Tip of the hat to @Sherlock77 here.)

I don't care if someone is a pro or a hobbyist. Either your portfolio speaks for you or it doesn't.

Yup... Maybe I pull out the "hobbyist" card too much and cause people to pre-judge me too often, I suppose I tend to define things quite strictly sometimes...

And I do enjoy going to art shows/photo shows, the most recent one was an art gallery space with four floors of exhibits of photography, I do enjoy what people create...

New Threads

Top Bottom