• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

trust

dsfu

Hi.

I am wondering if anyone has any strategies for learning how to trust people both to help you and make sure that they can trust you as well?

I am also wondering how to trust people enough to be able to take risks with people and be vulnerable enough to show them who you are?

Thank you.

Now that I'm in my 60s I use what I call "split the difference". I calculate the "All" and the "nothing" and then I put my toe in the water and when people want more of me I give them a bit more.

I can't control their reaction; but I have learned the hard way not to reject willing people. Most of the interim period has been hanging on by the skin of my teeth (if that's a cheery enough note). ;)

I might add, I also learned the hard way not to add mawkishness and broodiness to the situation where I was seeking company and sociability.

So-called ordinary people are just as adverse to complications as I am - so it turns out!

I tend to find that as soon as you trust people they burn you. Maybe trust in some forms is a burden to some and they don't want that burden.

If trust is something you are struggling with then it could be easier to take baby steps to ease yourself in. For example, rather than saying "I trust this person wholeheartedly", you could start small with "I trust that the person I am considering will/ won't (insert action)". Or with yourself, you can say "I trust that I am strong enough to cope should (insert possible scenario) occur."

In terms of getting people to trust you, that would depend entirely on a number of factors, such as who they are and why you want them to trust you (in what capacity). Generally speaking, people are more willing to trust those who are reliable, who are relatable, and who have proven from past situations that they are worthy of that trust. It is knowing that the other person is there for you, and that you don't have to worry about them falling through. Again, it depends on what they are trusting you with.

Until very recently i have little protection or filters as regards to who to trust, my theory of mind (inability to see/know others would think/act differently to myself) put me in a venerable position that left me often hurt and confused, now begins the drip ,drip to test who i say what to,a kind of testing of trust at a slow pace and increased boundaries in the knowledge that some people take a honest respond of my words as a opportunity to use that for their fun or advantage.

I have no clue how to know who to trust. I also don't have Theory of Mind stuff happening so I just brace myself when talking to all of them. I guess at people saying certain words, almost like code language, to present who or what they are. But I don't know. Unfortunately that also means I don't know how to present to people to say I'm such and such type of person, you can trust me. I think I'm pretty trustworthy and mostly honest but I think most people aren't, so they find it baffling that you'd be honest.

As for "split the difference", I thought that meant meet somewhere in the middle. Guess not.

In my experience, taking it slow doesn't help at all. People can and do lie to you through an entire lifetime.

Trusting can be purposeful. I eventually twigged that people can trust me not to be more intense and clingy with them, than it might (genuinely) suit them at any moment.

I had to develop my vocabulary and my depth and range of conceptual thinking.

People that insist on being dull, I have to give up trying with them. It is hurtful & turmoilsome.

People that are willing, I find I can train them - for example, by negotiating how I want to answer "how are you" (by giving the answer, which they might have kidded themselves they didn't want, or by waving without making eye contact, or however).

People accept me at face value so l am very lucky. I have been hired in jobs where trust is important because of cash handling. My new boss hired me and it is for a job where honesty is extremely important.

My brother was a detective for a major city and was the tech guy to keep online site for a very famous software company up and running so l guess it runs in my family of being trusted with most anything.

Last edited:
I think it depends on what you mean by trust. As adults, offering and earning trust are often reciprocal processes. Both people have to accept that we all have faults weaknesses and bad days. Both people have to have boundaries, but to be willing to be flexible to an extent as they learn each other's vulnerabilities. Taking it slow, and not expecting too much all at once, as trust is a slow growing and building process.

One way we can get a handle on our own issues in this area can be to get an understanding of our own current levels of attachment security. This theory helps us understand that the experiences we have as babies, children and adults all affect us to produce our current working model of relating, which we then apply.

If my background has been difficult in areas of relating to others, therefore, my current working model I apply in relating will show low trust in others. Depending how I reacted to that, I may have developed a thick skin and so I think I m ok in this area, it's them who are untrustworthy, or a thin skin, so I think I am unworthy, everyone is better than me in all sorts of ways.

Thirdly, if things have been really tough, as they often have for people with autism who have additional confusion due to slow processing and other communication issues, I may have little faith in myself or others either.

We can work on our own self esteem, assertiveness and self image, join a class, go to therapy, read and practice self development, watch videos etc, to raise our own confidence in ourselves, while also adjusting our judgements or expectations of others. This will improve our abilities to have realistic, compassionate and tolerant views and expectations of others and of ourselves, so that our working model of how things are changes to enable us to form healthy adult attachments.

Give and take, ups and downs, good days and bad days, recriminations and forgiveness, talking things through, mutual respect for differences, tolerating aspects of others, and so on, this is the reality of secure relating.

Trusting can be purposeful. I eventually twigged that people can trust me not to be more intense and clingy with them, than it might (genuinely) suit them at any moment.

I had to develop my vocabulary and my depth and range of conceptual thinking.

People that insist on being dull, I have to give up trying with them. It is hurtful & turmoilsome.

People that are willing, I find I can train them - for example, by negotiating how I want to answer "how are you" (by giving the answer, which they might have kidded themselves they didn't want, or by waving without making eye contact, or however).

Did you say "train" in your answer? Like train people? Like do you view people as less then human? Like you get this bone as soon as your trained? Maybe just try asking them nicely. Sometimes l feel in such a situation but l let it go because maybe that's how that person relates to other people. I don't necessarily agree with it but l don't believe it's worth arguing about because l don't like to argue. But l don't like it.

Did you say "train" in your answer? Like train people? Like do you view people as less then human? Like you get this bone as soon as your trained? Maybe just try asking them nicely. Sometimes l feel in such a situation but l let it go because maybe that's how that person relates to other people. I don't necessarily agree with it but l don't believe it's worth arguing about because l don't like to argue. But l don't like it.

No !!! ;) I meant, respectfully mentor those who show generous interest. Did I not use the term negotiate? There's a lot who aren't, so I have to drop them, as I mentioned.

Some people reject me if I am too tongue tied to do what they want, those are the people I drop.

Averse to manipulation as I am, why would I want to do the same to anybody?

Pre 2019 and Bong, air line pilots sought training? Am I missing a sudden narrowing in the meaning?

No !!! ;) I meant, respectfully mentor those who show generous interest. Did I not use the term negotiate? There's a lot who aren't, so I have to drop them, as I mentioned.

Some people reject me if I am too tongue tied to do what they want, those are the people I drop.

Averse to manipulation as I am, why would I want to do the same to anybody?

Pre 2019 and Bong, air line pilots sought training? Am I missing a sudden narrowing in the meaning?

I understand better now. So l misunderstood. I'm a puddle of confusion today. It's self-isolation, my brain is starting to rot. Thanks for clarifying.

I understand better now. So l misunderstood. I'm a puddle of confusion today. It's self-isolation, my brain is starting to rot. Thanks for clarifying.
More tea & crumpets quick (Queen or no Queen).
I must say, I have lots of time, and few people to interact with. If I'd still been working I'd still be on the back foot in these matters like I always was. I only rehearse everything because I've time to. It's anticipating rather than manipulating, and the nicer people appreciate it as such.

Hi.

I am wondering if anyone has any strategies for learning how to trust people both to help you and make sure that they can trust you as well?

I am also wondering how to trust people enough to be able to take risks with people and be vulnerable enough to show them who you are?

Thank you.
Trust is earned over time. There are no short cuts. As far as trusting people to help you: make sure you are asking someone capable of helping you & then accept the help they give you. Good luck.

To me trust comes down to survival mode. If there is a nuclear holocaust, do you trust the person next to you. If you don't, then that's bad. I have limited trust passes l pass out. I take my watch to the jewelry shop, l temporary trust this person to do their job and give me my watch back. In relationships, it's your life at stake. So my trust passes are highly reserved and almost nonexistent (because l value my life). My boss- l trust they have some integrity so l issue a temp trust pass. But at anytime of trusting people, l need to be able to step in where their choices hinder my survival or health. So for me trust isn't really earned- there are varying degrees of trust that l am willing to extend. So l don't trust a lot of people, because logically, it doesn't make sense too. And l understand that people would totally disagree with me on this. I also believe as you age, you should trust way less, because older people become more compliant which really means more trusting which means more elder being abused and taken advantage of.

Last edited:
Interesting how the general answer is I don't trust anyone or only to the level I have too.
Perso ally I don't even try anymore, I expect people to be selfish and self centered.
I'd love to know if it's just us being honest or if everyone really feels the same way and just won't say or admit it.

Interesting how the general answer is I don't trust anyone or only to the level I have too.
Perso ally I don't even try anymore, I expect people to be selfish and self centered.
I'd love to know if it's just us being honest or if everyone really feels the same way and just won't say or admit it.

Like roll around in the dirt, dog eat dog world. Like it seems there are more groups of people working together to scam. And in a poor economy with fewer jobs at the bottom, there are more people fighting to get a few jobs using every tactic.

New Threads

Top Bottom