• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Trouble following movies

Interesting replies. I'm glad I'm not the only one. My daughter has been begging me to take her to see the new Star Wars. I'm not sure what happened in all the other ones except some shooting and light saber fights, oh I do remember Luke finding out Darth was his father.

Kestrel- "Han solo sets off in the millenium falcon and races to Luke's Aid and then....."
Everyone Else- "SHUUUUUUT UUUUUPP!!"

LOL:D

I occasionally fail to recognize faces (actually I'm terrible with someone I haven't met many times before as it takes a few for me to recognise that we know eachother), the funniest time was when I was visited by a team leader in my store and I initially treated him as a customer (having already met and spoke with him days earlier), but likewise I can also amaze myself by recognizing people (people I've not seen in man years or more) just by seeing them from behind or sometimes just hearing their voices or something else other than their face.

I'm guessing you couldn't do a subtitled foreign film then?
One of my favourite movies is actually a foreign film with subtitles : Winter Light by Ingmar Bergman . I also like Wild Strawberries also by Ingmar Bergman .

Yes, when I watch movies I have two problems: prosopagnosia and paying attention. I find is hard to distinguish between similar looking actors and this makes me very confused, and then my mind tends to wander so I miss some important detail and find that I no longer understand what's going on. I also sometimes have difficulty understanding speech. Movies with complicated plots such as political thrillers are hard to watch and I avoid them. I think NTs have these issues too, but they are a lot better at picking up the plot again afterwards and filling in the missing pieces than I am. I often read an online plot summary to understand what's going on better, or watch the movie again; I pick up more the second time round.

For me, action movies are the hardest. The action scenes are just a rush of activity, and I can't tell what's going on or follow the plot.

Do you all struggle to recognize people in real life too then (i.e faces) or is it just within the realms of fiction??

I definitely do, when I first met my boyfriend we became friends on facebook, and even though I did (and do) find him very handsome I could never just picture what he looked like in my head. So I'd picture his facebook profile picture and that would jog my memory.

The problem I have following movies is largely that I can't tell the characters apart. Especially since boyfriend likes to watch movies that tend to be all-white cast, with most actors in their 20s-30s, and the guys are all short haired and a little scruffy and the women have long brown hair with no bangs. It's like some kind of hotness uniform and I don't know who's who.

For me, action movies are the hardest. The action scenes are just a rush of activity, and I can't tell what's going on

I think it just depends in how many frames per second it's shot in and how much the director has actually thought about his/her audience, but sometimes everyone struggles and before you know it you're at the end of the action bonanza.

Mr. Cat Nice profile pic ;).

Last edited:
It's not the visuals that bothers me, it's that the acoustics are usually atrocious and designed to blast your eardrums into mothballs. I can never understand what anyone says because of the background rattling and music. I have trouble when watching telly for the same reason. Newer TV models seem to favour loud music over the spoken word, so I can nae hear any danged thing except the fangled music blasting my neurons to Neverland.

I have a really hard time with movies that involve a lot of buzz cuts, so that excludes much of the action genre. Yeah, I have a hard time telling people apart if they all have the same haircut. Different skin tones don't help. Seriously.

When watching movies, or many TV shows for that matter, we have regular breaks. Every 10 mins I'm pausing the TV to ask my wife to confirm what's going on!

New Threads

Top Bottom