• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Trouble Discerning Hunger/Fullness Cues?

Wow, im 32 and ive NEVER been able to 'name' any feelings or sensations that happen in my body. I wasnt diagnosed until I was 21, but that came with lots of research and I finally figure out why I was never able to 'name' emotions I was feeling (Autism! Ding!); turns out, that extends to all bodily 'feelings' for me. Its a really pain in the bum.

"Im feeling... something? a thing? of some kind? could be physical? or mental? or both?"

and then I have to go through a checklist to see what it could possibly be, god forbid anything serious (well, more serious then the **** ive already been through in my life) happens internally, my spleen could separate and drift off through my body and i'd be sitting here like "maybe im tired? or thirsty?".

I rarely know the sensation of hunger. Yet I am not underweight, in fact, a bit over.
Don't know how long it would take to feel hungry. I usually just remind myself I've got to eat
something for health.
Thirst is what I feel almost all the time.
I have no idea if this is anything medical. My tests are all normal for blood, etc.
It could be emotional. Depression can cause lack of appetite or over eating either way.
But, usually there is weight loss associated with loss of appetite.
I've wondered about this myself and don't know the answer.
This has been a rather interesting read for me.. I’ve never had issue enough to bring it up again with my GP since initially bringing it up at the age of 13 when all routines fell away and I made the realization..

My GP thought I was exaggerating trying to get out of school at the time and so didn’t pursue with any earnest intent at the time, and I don’t have a lot of faith in him since then.

I get the sensation of hunger -maybe- once a month thereabouts.. but it still seems more like just wanting to experience the flavour of a passing delectable scent.. not so commonly fulfilled.

I can usually eat without much question past being awake for a greater portion of day but as well, am not able to sense being full unless I feel entirely bloated or in pain..

I can usually only eat breakfast, lunch or even majority of attempted snacks; on good or very good days, otherwise faced with fluctuating bouts of overwhelming nausea, and excessive salivation and swallowing in attempt to eat when feeling so out of sorts already.

I do have to try to remember to eat, and over the years have learned to track daily excercise to assess calories burned/needed regularly otherwise I can creep below a healthy weight easily, if not for routine or those around me reminding.

Thirst I have no issue with, usually more thirsty than those around me but not to excessive extent, and yes being a coffee lover I have removed it from my diet for several months, as well as many other practices over the years trying to sort it out somewhat..

Starting to be hopeful towards diagnosis possibly providing solution after reading this. I have a lot more to look into now, thank you all for being so informative.

I have a strong tendency to not feel hungry or to really not feel like eating even though I’m getting weak and lightheaded due to lack of nourishment. Still trying to find solutions to that. But I also am hypersensitive to sensations like fullness, and cannot eat a large amount of food at once, my body will refuse to swallow. I do far better with several snacks/light meals rather than 2-3 large meals as is commonplace. But at the same time, I’m trying to limit sugar/carbs because I’m still trying to lose the last bit of weight I gained from chemotherapy.

I have basically the opposite of alexithymia, I‘m hypersensitive to most things including pain and most body signals, and I have trouble expressing emotion because it’s so intricate to me and I can’t find the words to describe it adequately.

New Threads

Top Bottom