• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Trivial and 'Relevant' Issues

Aspergers_Aspie

I believe there is so much of people trying to 'embrace' trivial issues and not willing to pursue and promote issues that do matter, i.e. climate change activists, anti war activists and animal rights activists.

I believe there is so much of people trying to 'embrace' trivial issues and not willing to pursue and promote issues that do matter, i.e. climate change activists, anti war activists and animal rights activists.

I agree. I've noticed this with small trivial sub-issues. For example, I have a friend who was a rabid supporter of plastic straw bans - despite the fact that they directly harm the disabled community AND the fact that plastic straws make up a tiny fraction of ocean trash. This person worked with elderly and disabled people, so should have known better, but she was hyper-focused on straws for some reason. I'm certainly not against reusable straws (or just not using them to begin with)...but this sort of environmental tokenism drives me batty - it allows us to pat ourselves on the back and feel really good about what we've done to "solve" the problem...while not actually doing much of use to solve the problem. Once we've "done our part" to "address the problem" (by doing something trivial), people have a tendency to forget that the rest of the problem exists, and that's a much bigger problem, in my opinion, because it leads to apathy.

Plastic straws have been a big issue around here lately too.
And a lot of the neighbors make a big deal out of trivial things that make them appear to be
moral and good people.
I fear the image is what they care for more than the overall condition of the planet.

New Threads

Top Bottom