• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tourettes vs Aspergers

cdt

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone could clear something up for me please?

My partner believes he has Tourette's. I believe he has Asperger's. He fits the profile of AS (almost to a T) but also experiences tics and echolalia.

From my reading, I have found that it is Asperger's which sometimes presents with Tourette's symptoms. However, my partner watched some random documentary 5 years ago which told him that it is in fact Tourette's which presents with Asperger's symptoms. Because of this, he refuses to entertain the possibility that he is on the spectrum. We are having problems in our relationship that are fairly typical of the sort experienced by many NT/Aspie couples. I need support and advice, and I think he does too. But his refusal to admit the possibility that he may be wrong, coupled with the fact that he absolutely will not get an official diagnosis (doesn't want it on his medical records) are preventing us from making any headway. So, if any of you nice people have any insight into the way(s) in which Tourette's and Asperger's interact/overlap, it would be much appreciated.

Tics are fairly normal for ASD, it might be physical, but it might also just be shouting words or something else. That's about all I can contribute here.

Tics are fairly normal for ASD, it might be physical, but it might also just be shouting words or something else. That's about all I can contribute here.

Thank you, that's what I thought. Do you know if AS symptoms are typical for Tourette's? Or even just a possibility?

Thank you, that's what I thought. Do you know if AS symptoms are typical for Tourette's? Or even just a possibility?
I've come across this topic somewhere in the past, but I'd be only making things up I feel. I'm sure someone on the forums will be able to give you more info.

I've come across this topic somewhere in the past, but I'd be only making things up I feel. I'm sure someone on the forums will be able to give you more info.

Ok. I'll leave this out here then, and hope that someone in the know wanders past with a bit more info. I'll have a look through the forums as well. Thanks for commenting. It's my first time on the site and everyone seems lovely :)

I can relate with never being wrong (the absolute fact in your own head that you are right, no argument will prove you otherwise short of the creator itself coming down from the sky and showing you a mountain of evidence) no matter how unreasonable it actually is at the time. I really do work on that myself, just because every now and then (once every decade or so) I do get my facts inverted and I look stupid if I can not admit the mistake.....

New Threads

Top Bottom