• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

the world is still beautiful

Pats

V.I.P Member
62121005_10215002658848401_8769017423819964416_n.jpg

Power was out most the day, but my grandkids still didn't want to go home. They found happiness even in the dark. And so can we.

I used to lived up in north Idaho and power outages are a common occurrence there, especially in winter. What's really cool about power outages is that everything goes silent. No humming, No machine noises, etc. You never really know the meaning of dead silent until you experience a power outage in a rural area. You can hear all the sounds of nature and it's even cooler when there's a full moon out at night.

I used to LOVE power outages growing up! Living in Miami, FL meant that thunderstorms knocked out the power quite a bit. We had these cool hurricane lamps that burned oil with a big glass tulip shaped dome protecting the flame and we would take them out and put them on low all around the house. I loved hearing the wind and rain torrenting outside.

Often, I wish technology wasn't so reliable. And ubiquitous.

Power outages were common when I was a kid, not so much now. They're not that bad though, sometimes it's good to get back to basics.

When the power would go out at my old house, it was like an excuse to be camping. I was running the woodstove so no worries about heat, and I had some light. Also burned some candles. If I really wanted I could cook stuff on top of the woodstove.

The new house has an 8kw Generac that kicks in after 10 seconds and will run the whole house normally. It's good because it keeps the pellet stove running, which needs a power source. Other than that, I don't really care.

Yes, I also love a storm - strangely relaxing. I'll be outside watching it while my dog is hiding in the closet. And I don't mind the power outages until it starts running on for days (usually an ice storm so it gets a bit cold, too). But a day without power can be fun. I thought it was funny watching the grandkids playing with the barbies by flashlight and once in a while one of them would turn off their flashlight and say Barbie's power just went out. lol And I had plenty of food and snacks I didn't need to cook because they are picky eaters and I have a little bit of everything.

You know, it's attitude. We can make the best out of things or we can brood and complain. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom