• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Problem With Online Dating

DTFrontMan

I thought I would talk about this here for people who are interested, as I imagine there are a few people around who are looking to online dating sites in the hope of finding a significant other. I'd been part of a few sites for a while and I've made friends as well as formed a couple of relationships, and while they do have their merits there are some serious flaws which I feel are more serious for those on the Autism spectrum. So if you do decide to partake in these websites I think that it will help to keep these things in mind.

1.) All of these sites rely on very impulsive first impressions, they boil things down to their most basic parts when putting you in the view of others while giving them the tools to rate and criticize. For those with social disorders their difficulties in communication can easily take the front line, which means that any issues one may have can easily become the first things people notice about them. This is true in person but websites often lack the added buffer of events and surroundings.

2.) They are setup in a way that encourages people to keep looking when met with someone that doesn't live up to their idea of perfection, with all of the search results they have access to people become more inclined to continue their search for someone better. The tools they have for rating get put to use based on uninformed decisions, people can get a rank of 1-5 stars before even taking part in a conversation. They end up with a system that promotes the act of being judgmental and un-accepting of flaws, keeping people from discovering the true persona of who they're looking at.

3.) The nature of online interaction in general is that of minimal consequence, there is less reason to remain civil and courteous when behind a screen than looking someone in the face. As a result people don't feel bad about completely ignoring responses or stopping communication mid conversation without explanation, and they are more comfortable being rude when they have the desire to be.

4.) I can't speak for females obviously, but a word of advice for males is to remember how other guys can be and expect those of the opposite sex you converse with to have encountered such people tenfold what they would in person. There are plenty of guys on there just trying to get laid without looking for anything serious and they don't have much reason not to be vocal about it. This is something I imagine leads to preconceptions in females, a well mannered "hello" can be seen differently after a long line of attempts at one night stands and rude remarks.

5.) Remember that people will put their best foot forward, in the event that you start forming a relationship don't rely solely on the things on their profile or the stuff they tell you. This is in contrast to and a result of the second point I made, because people know they will be ranked on surface features and looked over because of flaws they are encouraged to be deceiving in order to gain response.

With that said, some websites are better about these things than others. Pay sites of the "non adult" variety like eHarmony in general are your best bet if you're looking for something serious because you're putting your money where your mouth is. Others who are looking for a serious relationship are more likely to look closely if they are able to determine you're looking for the same thing, just saying so isn't good enough because people can basically say whatever they want in order to get their foot in the door. When a site doesn't require payment (probably even those that do), the best option you have is to fill out as much as you can as honest as possible. If you're not taking the time to adequately tell people about yourself don't expect to catch peoples' interest, finding someone you're compatible with isn't about rushing and the lack of time invested can easily be seen as eagerness to encounter. Take the tests these websites provide, answer questions raised by other members and build up some information for them to reference.

Here are my opinions on some of the more popular dating sites...

Plenty of Fish - Uses what I started calling "the shotgun approach". There's not a whole lot to the site and people don't really tell much about themselves on their profiles. Of all the sites I've tried it relies the most on impulse judgement, it's success depends on you conversing with a large number of people in the hopes that one will be better than the rest. I had the most conversations on here by far but they were also the most shallow.

OkCupid - I've used this one the most with the best results but it is a lot of work and rather hard to receive response (for me at least). They have a lot of features which can help you along the way and give people a better idea of who you are, it's quite a bit more sophisticated than PoF but because it is also free there are still quite a few who aren't taking it seriously. I also imagine that it's more geared towards a younger crowd for those reasons.

Match - While it's a pay site I feel it has the most potential of any I've used, though I didn't use it for long and didn't get the chance to take advantage of as much as I'd like. The cost seems to make a difference in their professionalism and it's very much geared towards forming lasting relationships, with the highest number of genuine and mature people I've come across.

I hope that this information helps people in search of that special someone, and I should say that I don't mean to discourage. It's my personal opinion that the best way to find someone you connect with is to do so through friendship before moving forward and these sites make such things a bit hard. I've actually deleted my accounts without anything to show for it (after some bad experiences) with the thought that I'll be better of forming a relationship in person, I think that it's easier for people to read intention through interaction than through letters in an internet browser. At some point I may sign up again and take a different approach with these things in mind, but hopefully others can benefit from them in the meantime.

Last edited:
Good points all around. However:

4.) I can't speak for females obviously, but a word of advice for males is to remember how other guys can be and expect those of the opposite sex you converse with to have encountered such people tenfold what they would in person. There are plenty of guys on there just trying to get laid without looking for anything serious and they don't have much reason not to be vocal about it. This is something I imagine leads to preconceptions in females, a well mannered "hello" can be seen differently after a long line of attempts at one night stands and rude remarks.

Rude pickup lines aren't exclusive to men. Anyone of any sexual orientation can be the architect or recipient of such treatment. (I'm not saying that you're being deliberately exclusionary. I'm just broadening the scope of your advice.)

All that aside, I've actually only ever had a significant other, or even a date, because I talked to someone online---my boyfriend. It wasn't through a dating site, though, and we were friends for something like a year before we realized our feelings. So I guess one could call it non-traditional online dating.

I think the most critical aspects of online dating will always be the same. That it is imperative for the people involved to physically meet.

Otherwise it leaves the door open for one or both people to be catfishing, or potentially incompatible on a level not contemplated.

What you can wonder on dating sites in general is how serious are about this. Some people are just in there for some adventures, whilst others might be more serious about it. Yet no one will admit they're looking for something short term, since that wont attract a lot of audience.

I've tried dating websites in the past. It's a mixed bunch. I seem to end up with certain types of people and that makes me think what it is, and how I end up with that bunch (since it wasn't what I was looking for). Overal though, I like these websites IF... and this is the big IF, the members there are actually validated and thus real people. Spending time talking to someone who pretends to be someone else (perhaps even another gender) and goes to these sites just for kicks or boredom is stupid IMO. It's a waste of time. By now I know that online dating is an actual way to meet people, since I can't rely/hope to run into someone interesting in my area. And as with online, some people are hesitant to meet up. This exact same thing happens with people in real life. I dare you to walk up to potential partner of your choosing and tell him/her "here's my address, meet me there at 8 for some fun". Chances are only a marginally small group will actually show up. And those are the same people that will be up for an adventure over a first impression.

From all the points you describe; I identify though. But truth be told, I'm like that when dating offline as well. Perhaps not at such a shallow and superficial level as these websites, but it's surely there.

Something that baffles me on these websites often is how there are people on there looking for someone and state "I have a busy life because of my job, thus I have no time to find someone"... how do these people expect to have a functioning relationship with time devoted to eachother?

I met my current girlfriend online on what one would call a dating site. Though I didn't get in touch with her over the notion that we should date. I just thought her story was funny and I'd comment on it and that led to an exchange of email and whatnot. The most important thing however from her perspective was; take a change, meet up with a total stranger and see if it's as much fun. Of course she was a bit cautious, but I guess you won't find out how deep the rabbit hole goes if you never decide to jump in there. As for myself; I throw every caution in the wind and just go out. If people don't like me, fine. Just let me know and I'll move on.

Something that baffles me on these websites often is how there are people on there looking for someone and state "I have a busy life because of my job, thus I have no time to find someone"... how do these people expect to have a functioning relationship with time devoted to eachother?

LOL...that's true. It's like telling potential partners that you really don't have time for them in the first place.

"Contact with my own species has always been disappointing." - Captain Nemo, "Mysterious Island"

Good points all around. However:

Rude pickup lines aren't exclusive to men. Anyone of any sexual orientation can be the architect or recipient of such treatment. (I'm not saying that you're being deliberately exclusionary. I'm just broadening the scope of your advice.)

Yes I agree, everyone is perfectly capable of being rude. Though it's been my understanding that more unwanted sexual advances are done by males than females. A good reference is sexual harassment claims in the work place where only 16% of which are made by males, leaving 84% being directed towards females as of 2011 (most recent study I can find done by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission). Considering what I mentioned about there being less consequence in an online environment the occurrences there are probably much more frequent, the ratio of males to females could also be different as a result I can't imagine that difference being too extreme. As a male myself it's not really a statistic I enjoy hearing about (I'd like to think people are better than that), but it still something I find myself considering.

From all the points you describe; I identify though. But truth be told, I'm like that when dating offline as well. Perhaps not at such a shallow and superficial level as these websites, but it's surely there.

I'd seen some posts by you on the subject and figured we'd share some opinions. I know that the things I mentioned also take place in person, scanning a bar for example looking at people to potentially converse with is along the same lines as browsing through search results. We all do that to some degree either to our knowledge or subconsciously, quickly looking someone over before making a general assessment. Online though we are presented with more information to judge which seems like it should be a good thing, rather than looking over someone's physical appearance we're also able to evaluate their idea of themselves. In my opinion though this leads to a much more personal level of judgmental behavior, that automatic 1-5 star physical rating given in the bar turns into a rating of that person's persona or life summary as told by them.

What's most concerning to me is the options this gives people and how they use them. If you're going to a bar/club you're going to see at tops 75-100 people of all types (just an estimate I don't go to bars so I'm kinda clueless there), yet these websites can potentially give you many 1,000s of results based on your criteria. In that smaller group you have a better opportunity to determine how people act, you'd be more inclined to give someone a chance due to limited options in the given situation forcing you to look deeper into each individual potentially finding something you like under the surface. With the larger group there's much more information to process in determining who's worthy of your time which I think lends it's self to a sort of social A.D.D, you have to form quicker opinions of people in order to assess the crowd and determine your preferences. I think it's somewhat comparable to the size of classrooms in schools and the affect it has on the learning abilities of individual children... Kids with different ways of learning may flourish better than the rest if the information is presented to them in a way that makes sense, but it's harder to determine their personal needs if there's many others taking your attention.

It's just my opinion though, the things that attract me and the issues I have specifically probably have a big impact on that. I've met people through dating websites and found a girlfriend because of them (she cheated on me within a few months but that's not the website's fault), and I've formed a 5 year long relationship with someone I met on a forum like this (she cheated on me too but that wasn't the forum's fault). So I know what it's like actually finding people online and totally understand the merits it has, I just really think it has flaws that become more serious for people like myself that consider themselves complex and not to be figured out in a glance.

Here is a nice humorous outlook that raises some of the issues I've brought up...

Last edited by a moderator:
I"m too tired to give a good response to your post. But I believe you are way off course. I've had 750 people following me on EharmonyAdvice.com. Before that my experience includes Udate, Yahoo dating groups, Match.com, Eharmony.com etc et cetc.
All of the good gender FAIR male PAID authors on Eharmony were run off...most websites are politically correct & therefore squash the male point of view.

Nuff said. There is no fairness per the genders; the Grand Canyon gulf of miscommunication between the sexes is exploited...and further generated. There will never be any truth when there is a political agenda....POF has MANY more men than women. Eharmony had MANY more Women than men. Match.com was more of the same Politically correct agenda. Truth is not what is real but who controls what is thought to be real.

Ok Cupid-didn't they have the same politically correct forum? ALL DO...the male feelings are crushed.

I thought I would talk about this here for people who are interested, as I imagine there are a few people around who are looking to online dating sites in the hope of finding a significant other. I'd been part of a few sites for a while and I've made friends as well as formed a couple of relationships, and while they do have their merits there are some serious flaws which I feel are more serious for those on the Autism spectrum. So if you do decide to partake in these websites I think that it will help to keep these things in mind.

1.) All of these sites rely on very impulsive first impressions, they boil things down to their most basic parts when putting you in the view of others while giving them the tools to rate and criticize. For those with social disorders their difficulties in communication can easily take the front line, which means that any issues one may have can easily become the first things people notice about them. This is true in person but websites often lack the added buffer of events and surroundings.

2.) They are setup in a way that encourages people to keep looking when met with someone that doesn't live up to their idea of perfection, with all of the search results they have access to people become more inclined to continue their search for someone better. The tools they have for rating get put to use based on uninformed decisions, people can get a rank of 1-5 stars before even taking part in a conversation. They end up with a system that promotes the act of being judgmental and un-accepting of flaws, keeping people from discovering the true persona of who they're looking at.

3.) The nature of online interaction in general is that of minimal consequence, there is less reason to remain civil and courteous when behind a screen than looking someone in the face. As a result people don't feel bad about completely ignoring responses or stopping communication mid conversation without explanation, and they are more comfortable being rude when they have the desire to be.

5.) Remember that people will put their best foot forward, in the event that you start forming a relationship don't rely solely on the things on their profile or the stuff they tell you. This is in contrast to and a result of the second point I made, because people know they will be ranked on surface features and looked over because of flaws they are encouraged to be deceiving in order to gain response.

With that said, some websites are better about these things than others. Pay sites of the "non adult" variety like eHarmony in general are your best bet if you're looking for something serious because you're putting your money where your mouth is. Others who are looking for a serious relationship are more likely to look closely if they are able to determine you're looking for the same thing, just saying so isn't good enough because people can basically say whatever they want in order to get their foot in the door. When a site doesn't require payment (probably even those that do), the best option you have is to fill out as much as you can as honest as possible. If you're not taking the time to adequately tell people about yourself don't expect to catch peoples' interest, finding someone you're compatible with isn't about rushing and the lack of time invested can easily be seen as eagerness to encounter. Take the tests these websites provide, answer questions raised by other members and build up some information for them to reference.

Plenty of Fish - Uses what I started calling "the shotgun approach". There's not a whole lot to the site and people don't really tell much about themselves on their profiles. Of all the sites I've tried it relies the most on impulse judgement, it's success depends on you conversing with a large number of people in the hopes that one will be better than the rest. I had the most conversations on here by far but they were also the most shallow.

OkCupid - I've used this one the most with the best results but it is a lot of work and rather hard to receive response (for me at least). They have a lot of features which can help you along the way and give people a better idea of who you are, it's quite a bit more sophisticated than PoF but because it is also free there are still quite a few who aren't taking it seriously. I also imagine that it's more geared towards a younger crowd for those reasons.

Match - While it's a pay site I feel it has the most potential of any I've used, though I didn't use it for long and didn't get the chance to take advantage of as much as I'd like. The cost seems to make a difference in their professionalism and it's very much geared towards forming lasting relationships, with the highest number of genuine and mature people I've come across.

I hope that this information helps people in search of that special someone, and I should say that I don't mean to discourage. It's my personal opinion that the best way to find someone you connect with is to do so through friendship before moving forward and these sites make such things a bit hard. I've actually deleted my accounts without anything to show for it (after some bad experiences) with the thought that I'll be better of forming a relationship in person, I think that it's easier for people to read intention through interaction than through letters in an internet browser. At some point I may sign up again and take a different approach with these things in mind, but hopefully others can benefit from them in the meantime.

Last edited:
I fear you may be wasting your energy. This is one hardest truth to confront for many a young, and old.

On the other side, you're so spot on it's ridiculous. Basic, rudimentary psychology of relations (because that's what this really is), and politics - of Any kind - don't mix.

Oh man I'm a dumbass with my first response...thanks DTFrontMan for an outstanding analysis with online dating. Kindly forgive me for my former rashness.
You made a lot of good points & I like what you said about first impressions, those with social disorders, paid websites appear to be better, that they "encourages people to keep looking when met with someone that doesn't live up to their idea of perfection," TRUE!!!

"there is less reason to remain civil and courteous when behind a screen than looking someone in the face. As a result people don't feel bad about completely ignoring responses or stopping communication mid conversation without explanation, and they are more comfortable being rude when they have the desire to be." EXCELLENT!

"because of flaws they are encouraged to be deceiving in order to gain response." You should critique either online dating or other stuff. I like your style of writing.

POF-I like POF but it is frustrating & you have nailed it pretty good.

Thanks for your honest assessement of online dating. Moderators please feel free to edit or delete my first comment. Thanks.

Last edited:
You may want to check out Datehookup.com too. It's similar to POF but has more active forums. I had a few dates off that site too. Everyone seems too religious for me on OKCupid. I tried running a search for agnostics on there and got very few hits. Never got a date off that site yet. Had the best luck with POF and Datehookup. Also met two on Singlesnet, a site where paid members could talk to free members, but I think that one is out of business now.

It's no worry! Can I ask why you said what you did in the first post though? I'm really just kind of curious, it's not something I felt conflict in or anything you just made some points that I'm interested in and I'm wondering what I mentioned that made you think of them. If you don't want to talk about it here you're more than welcome to PM me.

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed listening to what I had to say, and I appreciate your mention of liking my writing. I really do enjoy giving my point of view on things, often I find myself getting wrapped up in thought of various subjects spending a lot of time working things over in my mind. It's not something I get to do with any benefit though, it's hard for me to find a subject matter people want to listen to and a soap box to say things from. There's also some issues with my anxiety that come into play when talking about subjects that can raise negative reaction. Politics are something that I enjoy debating but it's often too hard for me to do so without getting worked up about people being excessively rude about their points of view. Lately I've been finding things to talk about on Youtube (there's lots of interesting changes going on there which people are clamoring about), though the comments can be kind of a cesspool for immaturity.

Oh man I'm a dumbass with my first response...thanks DTFrontMan for an outstanding analysis with online dating. Kindly forgive me for my former rashness.
You made a lot of good points & I like what you said about first impressions, those with social disorders, paid websites appear to be better, that they "encourages people to keep looking when met with someone that doesn't live up to their idea of perfection," TRUE!!!

"there is less reason to remain civil and courteous when behind a screen than looking someone in the face. As a result people don't feel bad about completely ignoring responses or stopping communication mid conversation without explanation, and they are more comfortable being rude when they have the desire to be." EXCELLENT!

"because of flaws they are encouraged to be deceiving in order to gain response." You should critique either online dating or other stuff. I like your style of writing.

POF-I like POF but it is frustrating & you have nailed it pretty good.

Thanks for your honest assessement of online dating. Moderators please feel free to edit or delete my first comment. Thanks.

I find it easy for first impressions. Basically just spice up your profile and you will get contacts. My problem is that when we meet up, my condition prevents me from interacting with them "normally" that it gets extremely awkward.

Wow! I like the way you think. I admire those who can reflect on things, not get heated up, if you disagree with them, realize you are wrong & apologize, they accept the apology. To me this is a civilized way of thinking. Experience & PTSD of getting bullied are my answers for what I wrote. But I'm talking to a therapist to forgive those who hurt me & move foward in my life. Here on this website I'd like to forget what happened to me, laugh, dance, sing & enjoy the company of others.

It might be possible that a big flaw with humans is greed. That I believe would also apply to social systems set up in the past & today. Exploiting others but I'm going off topic with that. Maybe the online dating technology is still too new & needs to evolve more. Online dating is a 2 dimensional World. Not sure if you mentioned that. Perhaps in the future it will feature holigraphic technology. I've heard a lot of legitimate complaints by women. Online dating is not perfect & I look forward to this technology changing in a better way.

Politics getting rude-it might be because radio DJ's, TV news personalities & comedians, many who make $ Millions, have been molding their audiences to get more in your face. Plus the economic climate doesn't help. I wonder how a bad economy is affecting online dating & dating in general.

It's no worry! Can I ask why you said what you did in the first post though? I'm really just kind of curious, it's not something I felt conflict in or anything you just made some points that I'm interested in and I'm wondering what I mentioned that made you think of them. If you don't want to talk about it here you're more than welcome to PM me.

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed listening to what I had to say, and I appreciate your mention of liking my writing. I really do enjoy giving my point of view on things, often I find myself getting wrapped up in thought of various subjects spending a lot of time working things over in my mind. It's not something I get to do with any benefit though, it's hard for me to find a subject matter people want to listen to and a soap box to say things from. There's also some issues with my anxiety that come into play when talking about subjects that can raise negative reaction. Politics are something that I enjoy debating but it's often too hard for me to do so without getting worked up about people being excessively rude about their points of view. Lately I've been finding things to talk about on Youtube (there's lots of interesting changes going on there which people are clamoring about), though the comments can be kind of a cesspool for immaturity.

Last edited:
I don't think that there's ever much reason to regret anything that was said with genuine emotion, if the emotion is there then I think there's reason to say the words behind them. Things stemming from negative emotion benefit from being said by way of letting one reflect and evaluate, while things of positive emotion are usually of asset to those they're said to. The only times I feel words should be regretted are when there's no net gain, when the benefit is outweighed by cost. I've not been here very long or posted too much but I'm already finding it very easy to be myself here because people are understanding, which I can't say the same about other places.

You're certainly on to something mentioning greed being a flaw in humans. It's a similar thought to one I have often while commenting on Youtube videos. There was one video I came across recently which was just a song from a band in India that was becoming popular in the metal scene, people from India were in the comments posting about how they had pride in this band showing the world that good music can come from their country. Someone was replying to their comments expressing the idea that pride in others serves no purpose, basically belittling them for being proud of their country or the things it produced because they had no part in it. What you said reminded me of this because my response to him was in part "selfishness is the bane of humanity", which I think is the same idea behind humans finding flaw in greed. We are all part of a whole in humanity and anything we can do to encourage one another has positive impact on human nature, I think people forget that and things like computer screens separating us makes it harder to remember. Bullying is such a bad thing to let happen because it has the opposite effects, yet the same computer screens have made that easier to do.

People tend to think that their freedom of speech supersedes others' needs, lots of posters doing extreme criticizing under the notion that "if you can't handle it then you shouldn't be on the internet". This is greed and selfishness showing through. The people who do this kind of thing care more about something they have than they do about what it takes from others, they have no tolerance for the points of view from whom it's directed towards and lack the restraint that would make their freedom of speech an asset. That is benefit being outweighed by cost.

You're also probably right about the technology needing to evolve, and I do think that holographic technology or something similar will be great progress. Anything that helps to restore humanity in faceless cyberspace is a good thing. Deep down people would know it to be fake, but looking a hologram in the face when speaking may help keep people from rampant negative emotion the same way being in person does. Currently there's just not enough to express the fact that it's real people doing the talking online.

As for what you mentioned about politics, online news outlets from all sides are designed in a way to incite negative reaction. Their headlines are worded in ways to make people angry because people who are angry are more likely to post, which is how they make their money. They want people on there arguing with one another, needing to get the last word in is a perfect way to keep a comment thread going and making them income. I actually get newsletters in my email that are polar opposites of my political beliefs because of this, sign up for one site you agree with and they'll spam you with the other to make you react.

Wow! I like the way you think. I admire those who can reflect on things, not get heated up, if you disagree with them, realize you are wrong & apologize, they accept the apology. To me this is a civilized way of thinking. Experience & PTSD of getting bullied are my answers for what I wrote. But I'm talking to a therapist to forgive those who hurt me & move foward in my life. Here on this website I'd like to forget what happened to me, laugh, dance, sing & enjoy the company of others.

It might be possible that a big flaw with humans is greed. That I believe would also apply to social systems set up in the past & today. Exploiting others but I'm going off topic with that. Maybe the online dating technology is still too new & needs to evolve more. Online dating is a 2 dimensional World. Not sure if you mentioned that. Perhaps in the future it will feature holigraphic technology. I've heard a lot of legitimate complaints by women. Online dating is not perfect & I look forward to this technology changing in a better way.

Politics getting rude-it might be because radio DJ's, TV news personalities & comedians, many who make $ Millions, have been molding their audiences to get more in your face. Plus the economic climate doesn't help. I wonder how a bad economy is affecting online dating & dating in general.

Back on topic, the issue I have with online romance, I cant bring myself to do it because the internet is so fake for the majority [in my experience], I don't like the idea of being catfished or whatever, I hesitate to even make female friends on the internet because any woman could in fact be a 63yo Peruvian male midget with a lisp named Yosef (for a comedic example), but in all seriousness, I don't know if a woman I am talking to is a guy who thinks he's being funny, is my next door neighbour, is a hacker looking for an angle or even somebody only pretending to be grown up.

When in the realm of the actual flesh and blood human I interact the same way with everybody that I don't know, I converse on neutral topics and I engage for interest sake or back off accordingly, I also try to avoid things that would be considered suggestive or prying. I am pretty much completely natural and myself in interactions with the ladies, so it means I never spot any come-on until later when I am at home obsessively running though the conversations I had during the day, to make sure I appeared "normal" to the regular type folk I've met hehehe

I can talk at length to a person and they can be flirting like a mad thing, flirting so hard that any other men in the vicinity would take notice and be lining up behind me, but I cannot see it because I am not looking for it and so the conversation ends and I walk away thinking; "I'd love to have somebody like that as my partner".
I wonder why didn't they just ask me out or even ask me if I like them, it's because it is as hard for women as it is for men to understand that things have changed and each gender can do stuff for themselves now more so than at any other time in history, if I am talking to a woman and she asks me out I wouldn't think anything about whether or not it is appropriate in this day and age... I would just be amazed that she fancies me, my last partner asked me out as it happens and she said later that she felt that if she hadn't we wouldn't be together, and we lasted fifteen years!

The other thing about the internet though, is how easy it is to divorce necessity from what you're presented, you see only the good things, you talk to a person on the internet and you share stuff in common, because there is no physicality to persuade or dissuade you, you make decisions based on the words they type, this is where the danger lies because the written word is open to interpretation, you don't have to deal with the impact if you don't read it like that, somebody says to you that their cat died and you are typing how sad it is but it isn't sad to you, but if you are in person and somebody says their cat died, you can register the emotion with them, they strike you visually with their sadness, you offer a shoulder to cry on and a warm body to hug, you can hear the sadness and the loss, you can feel the tension in their body, this is communication, it is twenty times as hard to truly communicate anything as truthfully online because everything you read is coloured by perception and imagination.

I can write a single paragraph and ten people can read it and assume I am a hero while another ten will read it and think of me as a villain, but I am neither, you take me for what I am online and build me to what you need me to be and reality is never able to meet expectations.
In order to really communicate on the internet you have to be honest and that is one thing you shouldn't be too much of on the internet and as it is the internet, the majority will struggle with the concept of honesty, it is a catch 22 situation.

The one final thing I have that I need to work on in relation to relationships, is I always break down why I cannot possibly be a good catch for a person and how it wouldn't work, it is the worst form of torture I can inflict on myself but I always find reasons why they are too good for me.
Once, there was a woman working in a takeaway, a few years or so ago, and we used to have long conversations about all sorts of things and one day she told me she was leaving town and I was like, that's a shame, oh well, seeya. I had already gone through a hundred thousand million reasons as to why we wouldn't work out together and how I would stuff it up and that she wouldn't want a "damaged" [not because Aspergers] person anyway, only later did I see that she was interested and I was simply oblivious. If she actually ever had intentions of asking me out I never gave her indication that it would be received.

Thinking about it, the only reason I ever got to have a relationship is that I regularly drowned my brain in alcohol and went up the club, it [the brain] couldn't stop me from saying yes when I was asked out, I obviously can't go back to drinking excessively just to get a date though, and it would look weird if I just went to the club and started busting a move on the dance floor, sober, with no friends to dance with, in my late thirties, like some sort of desperate, lonely, old [In relation to the other clubbers] hybrid man/ nerd outcast.

I think I have sort of gotten used to watching the other guy get the girl and then counting the hours until she realises what a butthead he is and dumps him, it is an amusing way to while away the days LOL

I'm glad this thread exists, I was just going to make a post asking what peoples experiences were like with online dating I've been thinking about giving it a try as I've been living in my current neighborhood for roughly 7 weeks and have not yet had the nerve to talk to pretty much anyone.. Its funny this just popped right up when I was going to ask! I know I should man up and go to a bar or club and try to make something happen but I'm in totally new surroundings don't really know anyone, I'm just feeling real nervous pretty much anytime I leave the house lately. Seems like most of you guys did better with the paysites, I was gonna try either chemistry or match I guess I'll see if it works out.

PS - LOL all the time I am doing this **** haha

I am pretty much completely natural and myself in interactions with the ladies, so it means I never spot any come-on until later when I am at home obsessively running though the conversations I had during the day, to make sure I appeared "normal" to the regular type folk I've met hehehe

Have you considered truebeginnings.com? They screen for married people, sex offenders, and felons. I've never been on there, but it sounds pretty safe. I think it's a site with good intentions.

Something that baffles me on these websites often is how there are people on there looking for someone and state "I have a busy life because of my job, thus I have no time to find someone"... how do these people expect to have a functioning relationship with time devoted to eachother?.

I guess it depends on what people are looking for. Plenty of men and women both are looking to just screw around. And then there are many have never been married and are ready to give up everything for the whole white wedding, house, dog, 2.5 kids, and happily ever after. Then some who have already been married and divorced once or more and been run thru the mill, are busy with kids and careers, and more than anything would just like some committed companionship when they are free, without the expectations of giving up their independence and the things they worked so hard for. This would describe me if I was actually still looking.

sciconnect.com seems like a good site. It's specifically for people who are interested in STEM subjects or nature. It's cheap and members looking for a same-sex relationship can sign up for free.

New Threads

Top Bottom