• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The MP3 player/software thread

King_Oni

V.I.P Member
So... since AOL announced they're discontinuing Winamp and I've been using it for over 10 years... I'm slightly puzzled as to which alternative to turn to. And probably, because I stuck with Winamp this long I have no clue what's going on besides this all.

Mind you, I own an iPod thus I run iTunes. But here's my issue. iTunes cannot manage multiple music libraries very well. Most of the (physical) albums I own I ripped and have on my computer in MP3 format now. However, this collection is close to 150 gb of music. Let's not argue what someone needs this much music for. My iPod is 80 gb and thus iTunes get loopy when it wants to put 150 gb on a 80 gb storage device. Thus I don't put all my music in iTunes.

Winamp however had a media library and didn't act all loopy when I hooked my iPod in. It kinda went unfazed and just went on playing and on with it's business.

I've tried Spotify, but I'm not to thrilled about certain features, and the darn program keeps bugging me how it wants to sync my iPod, thus I haven't put all the music on all of my drives on this Spotify atrocity. I'm not interested in this streaming business either... I'll bring my own music. And maybe it's just that it's new and all, but my mind kinda goes blank when I look at this spotify thing. It's like everything is jumbled up, lol.

I've tried AIMP just now, that might do the trick, yet I guess I have to explore it a bit more to be sure if it suits my needs.

Without getting overly technical... I just want an MP3 player that plays the songs I select and queue from a easy to navigate library.

So if anyone has any other good alternatives and might have the same issue I'm having, I'm all ears what you have done to get around it.

I use mpd with the frontent ncmpcpp (there are many frontents). I also hear the the clementine player is nice.

Lol I thought this thread was going to be about the science and technology of MP3, which I believe is an audio coding format for digital audio that uses a form of lossy data compression :p

You caught me, I totally stole that information from the Wikipedia article but on the other hand, I have way too much time on my hands for me to be looking up a lot of information on Wikipedia and taking the time to understand it by doing research lol

Out of curiosity though, what is the main differences between MP3 audio coding format and other's like Ogg ? I can't tell by listening to a song in those two two different formats :/

New Threads

Top Bottom