• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The great myth of imperfection

Archer36

Note: I wrote all that for fun, I wasn't sure if I wanted to post it ... so feel free to remove it if you feel it doesn't belong here. :) I'd not be offended at all.

Once upon a time, on Earth ... (yes, the planet)

When life appeared, it was very simple and went toward something more complex. Its one of the fundamental rule of the Universe actually. It went from empty cold darkness hosting a tiny particle that exploded (big bang) and filled up the Universe with very hot stuff. It slowly cooled down and stars were able to form, then planets, then oceans and life. Actually, instead of writing all that, A dude on Ted talk did a good review of this in a very theatrical entertaining way:

Now that you all watched the video (yeah, right ;) ) ... you know that things are always going from simple to complex. Things aren't staying the way they are. On a short period of time, you can't really see it of course. Unfortunately this leads our actual society thinking that things aren't changing, and that everybody should be the same. If you aren't within a certain standard for whatever reason, you are considered by some as "imperfect"... kind of ...

Its funny, because everyone is dreaming to be different, but they don't always accept difference if its not within their range of understanding. Are they jealous or what? ;)

The fact is ... without difference we would not exist ... DNA evolution is based on difference. Its the base of our evolution. Our genes only have one thing in mind, projecting itself into the future. When humans have children, the DNA is passed to them and very frequently, there are differences in the code. Leading to a change. If the change is good, the child will be a super child with an extra characteristic that will allow him to project himself in the future more easily. If the change is bad, the child will have more difficulty to project himself in the future. Its called basic evolution. We went from a single jelly ball with two eyes and antennas to the sexy humans we are.

Of course, the successful changes in DNA are very small, we can't notice them within our life time. Significant changes are operated over millions of years. There is no way for us to tell if a change in DNA that cause a condition (lets say aspergers ;) ) is a good thing or a bad thing for humanity. There is no reason to claim that someone that is different than the mass is a bad thing ... It may very well be a big plus for the society.

So someone that thinks people that have noticeable differences are imperfect or that they are just a pain for the society, they are very wrong. Imperfection is a myth. It just doesn't exist.

Lets take an example. If our society is so strong right now, is because of our ability to store information and transmit it into the future. Way back in the time, a bacteria was transmitting knowledge exclusively through DNA. A sugar eating cell is reproducing and give the DNA to the new cell and that new cell genetically knows that sugar is good. It works, but its very slow and limited. Millions of years ago, the first brained humans took a step forward ... like many other animals, they told their kids what to do and what not to do ... the kids were learning and storing that information in their memory ... and before they die, they would transmit that knowledge to their kids, etc. Allowing to transmit and conserve tons of information in a much more efficient way than just using DNA.

Then another step was to use everybody in the group, no matter what their condition was, to transmit and conserve knowledge. I call this "compassion" ... Even if a giant tiger ate your legs, your brain is far too important to get rid of you. And humans started to help each others no matter what. The advantage of keeping the knowledge exceeded the advantage of getting rid of the weak. Mankind exploded at that point and the most powerful societies were the one able to preserve the knowledge intact. They started to write down everything on the walls of cave then later in the books and today on the internet.

Today the information is so easily stored and accessible on different medias, that we are entering in a new era. Ever felt that you didn't need to know what you parent know because the information is so easily accessible on internet? It's a reality. We don't need anymore to transmit as much information to the next one. We just store it in a media and everybody can access it later if need be.

Maybe its why so many people don't care about each others anymore, particularly if they are different. They don't have to anymore ... or so they think.

Knowing that difference is normal ... knowing that DNA keeps evolving in function of what is the best ... and knowing that there is more and more autistic/aspie people everywhere ... some are even saying its an "epidemic" ... Instead of rejecting those people, people should ask themselves what are the real reasons for this to happen. They will never get the real answer, but they should not take the risk of excluding them.

What if aspies are part of the next step? ... or not?

Perhaps there is a bigger need for people highly specialized in one specific topic since everything else is safely stored elsewhere.

Perhaps the communication skills aren't as needed today as they were in the past.

Perhaps a even greater amount of imagination is needed in order to keep creating more and more advance technologies.

Perhaps the social relationship skills aren't needed as much today.

We will never know exactly in our lifetime obviously. But in the end, I'm convinced of two things:

1- Imperfection doesn't exist and perfection does not exist. We are all different and there is a good reason for it. Rejecting someone because he is not like you is absolutely pointless. (ever heard something called "war"? ;) )

2- We certainly can't afford to exclude people that aren't like us. People have to learn to use each others in function of their skills. Cavemen were still using the guy that got his legs eaten up by the giant tiger. And this kind of behavior is even more important today I think.

That said, we will never have all the answers obviously, but what we should be convinced of, is that each of us is very important despite our differences and its critical to take care of each others.

That was a lot to take in (especially before my coffee), but I agree wholeheartedly to mostly of what you said. I think everyone has special "gifts" to offer, they just have to find out what they are and others have to come to an acceptance that they really "need and want" those gifts - even if it turns out to be from an unexpected source.
How did you know I didn't watch the video? Huh. I need coffee.

New Threads

Top Bottom