• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The cobra effect and millions of : unintended consequences

We have rabbit proof fences, one of which is the longest fence in the world.

Rabbit-proof fence - Wikipedia

, "The introduction of a few rabbits could do little harm and might provide a touch of home, in addition to a spot of hunting", a prediction which has not aged well.
Rabbits in Australia - Wikipedia

I live in a massive sport hunting area... It's even a huge part of this area's economy (I don't care to hunt, maybe if I was starving) ...

Anyway to increase interest people brought in some Russian boars... Over time those animals got in with domestic pigs and now we have this mass of half wild hogs that will hurt you (or kill you) if you entice them, and destroy everything in sight. On top of that only a high powered rifle will kill them... Something small caliber will get you attacked...

Every sow starting at nine months old can have up too 22 piglets a year! It's insane and it was not watched when this started, so now our wild hog population is so bad the state hunts them from helicopters to try and drop the numbers killing massive amounts at a time and nothing is seeming to help.

The destroy crops, damage property, we even had them at the golf course and they rooted up three golf greens in one night, breaking sprinklers, it is unthinkable in the damage they cause. That one incident of thousands was about 50,000.00 and a loss of player interest, and it was tough for a while...

They are such a dense animals... Sometimes when a car hits a large one, it will total the car (or cause it to rollover) which has resulted in many human deaths, as herds of them get out in the roads and bar ditches at night.

We also have a massive deer population and many of them have been breed and genetically engineered to have massive horn racks... They too are very scary things to dodge at night (or in the day) while driving here.

So now we are basically surrounded by animals bred by people and there are so many that the "sport" is not much of a "sport" anymore... Its more of an eradication process that is sad, but I suppose necessary because humans interfered with our natural eco system an in a very short time made a huge mess. Now its a gross, sad, mess to try and fix this...

Cause and Effect... at work right before my own eyes. : )

I live in a massive sport hunting area... It's even a huge part of this area's economy (I don't care to hunt, maybe if I was starving) ...

Anyway to increase interest people brought in some Russian boars... Over time those animals got in with domestic pigs and now we have this mass of half wild hogs that will hurt you (or kill you) if you entice them, and destroy everything in sight. On top of that only a high powered rifle will kill them... Something small caliber will get you attacked...

Every sow starting at nine months old can have up too 22 piglets a year! It's insane and it was not watched when this started, so now our wild hog population is so bad the state hunts them from helicopters to try and drop the numbers killing massive amounts at a time and nothing is seeming to help.

The destroy crops, damage property, we even had them at the golf course and they rooted up three golf greens in one night, breaking sprinklers, it is unthinkable in the damage they cause. That one incident of thousands was about 50,000.00 and a loss of player interest, and it was tough for a while...

They are such a dense animals... Sometimes when a car hits a large one, it will total the car (or cause it to rollover) which has resulted in many human deaths, as herds of them get out in the roads and bar ditches at night.

We also have a massive deer population and many of them have been breed and genetically engineered to have massive horn racks... They too are very scary things to dodge at night (or in the day) while driving here.

So now we are basically surrounded by animals bred by people and there are so many that the "sport" is not much of a "sport" anymore... Its more of an eradication process that is sad, but I suppose necessary because humans interfered with our natural eco system an in a very short time made a huge mess. Now its a gross, sad, mess to try and fix this...

Cause and Effect... at work right before my own eyes. : )

That's pretty sad really.

Just wondered if they released starlings,
Would they eat the pigs?

That's pretty sad really.

Just wondered if they released starlings,
Would they eat the pigs?

Speaking of the birds... Our Buzzard population is exploding! Lots more dead stuff to eat... A "road trip" here is often like a gorey horror show at times...

The huge semi trucks (most have deer guards on front)... they don't even slow down, so its just a mess of animal parts all over the place with vultures in the road trying to clean up the messes...

I have pictures of our ambulance somewhere... They hit a deer running about 85mph (it has deer guard on front)... It coated that white vehicle it in red and had intrals all stuck too it... It was one of the grossest things I have ever seen in real life... They had to use the windshield wipers and washers to see... its was just sick...

Pythons in the Everglades, Lionfish in the Caribbean. The extent of Mans stupidity and failure to learn from past mistakes always amazes me.

Referencing academically.

Having a bash at A levels 15 years ago, I was asked to reference only that which was written and published by someone else.

Somewhat perplexed I replied that "everything we're learning, reading and understanding has been written by someone else at some point in time. Are original ideas usual at A level"?

Two thousand word essay with a one thousand word biblio'
( I exaggerate, slightly. :) )

I think I forget where I'm going with this,

Yes, information from others. When making a decision. Considerations coming from the very depths of our being, stored conscious and unconscious memory, collected from reading, experiencing, listening to, talking with others.
As if our own decisions are the ideas of someone else or many someone elses.

Yes, information from others. When making a decision. Considerations coming from the very depths of our being, stored conscious and unconscious memory, collected from reading, experiencing, listening to, talking with others.
As if our own decisions are the ideas of someone else or many someone elses.

Yes.

I like the idea that humans are developing a collective intelligence like ants.

There seems to be evidence of such, and it would explain why ideas seem to surface at the same time in different places.

Check out the Noosphere; Noosphere - Wikipedia

Collective intelligence that represents the next stage of development of Earth.

It's easy to think that Earth is just something to stand on - apart from us, yet we ARE the earth as much as the rocks and sea.

New Threads

Top Bottom