• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Terrible language

Kath

Hi, I'm a mum to a son who's awaiting diagnosis for autism/Aspergers.
Does anybody else experience outburst of explicit language and verbal abuse from their child/partner who has Aspergers?
Would be interesting to know if I'm not in my own and if it's all part of the Autism spectrum.

Does anybody else experience outburst of explicit language and verbal abuse from their child/partner who has Aspergers?
Would be interesting to know if I'm not in my own and if it's all part of the Autism spectrum.
#I'm not on my own

Any thoughts on the circumstances in which might cause such an outburst from your child?

Personally I was never that way with my parents. No matter how much at times they as NTs may have exasperated me as an Aspie. Of course I grew up without any hint that I may have been autistic.

Any thoughts on the circumstances in which might cause such an outburst from your child?

Personally I was never that way with my parents. No matter how much at times they as NTs may have exasperated me as an Aspie.
Hi judge, we were sat discussing an order he had placed to purchase something and wanted me to know why he hadn't got an email confirming it had gone through.
( He had approached me for the advice) he's 18. I then asked him to show it to me via his I phone, which he did but I couldn't focus on it so said to let me look closer in which he then came out with "get some better f***** glasses. I then said "is there any need for that kind of language" in turn he got up and told me to f*** off you fat B**** and storm off to his room.

That kind of behavior is not the norm for persons with Aspergers or autism, but I have heard of it in some individuals.

Hi judge, we were sat discussing an order he had placed to purchase something and wanted me to know why he hadn't got an email confirming it had gone through.
( He had approached me for the advice) he's 18. I then asked him to show it to me via his I phone, which he did but I couldn't focus on it so said to let me look closer in which he then came out with "get some better f***** glasses. I then said "is there any need for that kind of language" in turn he got up and told me to f*** off you fat B**** and storm off to his room.

Whoa. IMO that sounds like something else going on there...not simply ASD. Being honest and blunt is different from being abusive like that.

Thank you for you views Judge and Ste 11aeres.
We're in the process of seeing a clinical psycologist so hopefully they will be able to shead some light on this behaviour.

I would like to add that, even if that is not typical behavior for someone with Autism/Aspergers, you really still are not alone. There are other persons who face the same words and behavior from family members (even if the cause is something other than autism)

It's my understanding that, while people on the spectrum can be prone to emotional outbursts (I'm certainly guilty of these sometimes!), foul language isn't necessarily a feature. I'm not a doctor, but it sounds as if your son may have issues with anger.

I have a bad temper and am prone to ranting when something doesn't live up to my often too idealistic ideals. I tend to be a little black/white about things, and when things don't work out that way, I can get frustrated. I have a very low frustration tolerance, so frustration can easily lead to anger in me. During my school years, I was often situationally mute and did not speak at school, so my frustrations at other kids and my own communication difficulties caused me to be in a high pique by the end of the average school day. By the time I got home, I often need to rant out my anger, and unfortunately, it was always the person I felt safest with who ended up being the person I ranted at, my Mum. I knew she'd never give up on me, tell me to shut up, or send me away, so she ended up being the one who dealt with me when I was at my worst.
So maybe, if your kid is blasting off into extremes of anger only around you, it's because you are the only person he feels safe enough to let the frustration and anger out to.

Keeping in mind that 'foul' language does not phase me one bit, it sounds like your son is being a teenager. I don't think there's a need to panic and rush to a professional simply based on that. He's 18. During puberty, the body changes and hormones and chemicals are all over the place, and this is even more difficult for someone on the spectrum with consideration to our condition. It sounds like he got frustrated and unfortunately took it out on you. I do the same thing sometimes when I'm frustrated, it's kind of tourette's-ish. And I'm 45! Of course I have a lot more control over this now. But I do remember being that age, Lol. I can feel when my stress and frustration level is rising now and make adjustments.

I don't think you can prevent him swearing, he is technically an adult now, and will swear if he chooses. What you can make clear to him is that the insult hurt your feelings. That you don't wish him to use that sort of language around you. Make it clear to him but it sounds like something said in frustration, and I'm sure he didn't mean it. Sometimes things just come out.

What I would suggest is talking to your son, not from an angry or judgmental place, nor from a place of putting expectations of obedience. Treat him like a person. Tell him, without being overcharged with emotion, that what he said hurt your feelings. That as your mum, you feel you deserve to be treated with a little more respect (if that's how you feel, I don't mean to put words in your mouth, these are just examples). Be open about how it made you feel, but don't go overboard with authoritarian might, nor try to make him feel guilty or anything. Just be open and direct but not accusatory. Take a gentler tack. Try not to take it too personally. I know words hurt, but you are the elder, the mum, and I know it must hurt you a lot, and I am sorry for that. But, you're the one who is in the position to act with more maturity. Perhaps you might consider speaking to a counsellor for yourself, to explore why it hurt your feelings and affected you as much as it did. I say that with your best wishes in mind. :) And a lot of us need support in our lives, that's why a lot of folk come here. :)

In adolescence, it is a time where people are coming into their own as individuals, on a psychological level, and of course there are many implications in this. It's a scary and confusing time, and is legendary for being a time where younger folk have a lot of intense emotions and this is happening while they are trying to establish their own identity and autonomy. I have seen and heard about many, many fights with parents in my lifetime. The only answer a lot of the time is to ride it out with as much grace and dignity as you can muster.

If he is engaging in true antisocial behaviour, such as purposefully hurting other people or engaging in violent behaviour, then I'd suggest counselling for him. If it's only episodes of swearing, I suggest it is 'growing pains'. Well, if he needs help with AS that is another matter. I wouldn't worry about counselling just on this one incident. Is what I'm trying to say.

But really, he's just being a normal teen (by 'normal', I don't mean ideal, I mean, that many act this way unfortunately, it isn't an anomaly). Many don't act like this, but a great deal do. You can fight it and that usually makes it worse, or you can be the bigger person and just ride it out. He likely wants to be his own person now and has his own opinions on things and you can't really expect him to be a perfect angel, he's an individual with his own personality. What you can make clear is that outbursts of insults are hurtful and not acceptable.

I wish you the best.

*edit- and by suggesting counselling for you, I meant in a way that it's ok for you to have someone to talk to and get support from. Sorry, I am aspie of course and sometimes people (especially NT folks) interpret my way of speaking in a less than positive light, which is my onus of course. But I mean what I say in positive terms.

Last edited:
Anyway, as I said, you are not alone.
As for us here, even if we don't experience the exact same words from our loved ones, we do know what it is like to be treated badly by those we care about and not to understand why.

Anyway, as I said, you are not alone.
As for us here, even if we don't experience the exact same words from our loved ones, we do know what it is like to be treated badly by those we care about and not to understand why.

Of course she is not alone. :) I think that this is a universal theme, which is why I shared the perspective that I did. It would seem that it is a facet of the human condition. I am certainly not immune to it, and have experienced many hurtful words from those who I have cared about.

__

I wish to point out as upon re-reading my post, it sounds misleading, but when I say that I would have a little tourette's episode, it did not take the place of insults. Sometimes I would get very frustrated and swearing was one of the ways I would vent. I did not go around calling people names like that, it's something I learned early on as I was often the target for them myself, having been bullied mercilessly since very early on so I knew how it felt, and didn't want to perpetuate the same feelings in anyone else. It was important to me. But I did have moments of frustration and would vent. If anything, I would address a person's behaviour, not their person. Much of the time, I'd go off to blow off steam by myself. I do not have an anger problem nor anything along those lines. My only conditions are ADHD and AS, and it's been fully investigated and confirmed.

Anyway, as I said, I wish you the best with your son Kath. I doubt that your son meant to hurt you. And I apologise if anything I said came out offensively, I did definitely not mean it that way.

As humans, it happens. We make mistakes and say stupid things.

Last edited:
It has been my experience that teens can be very moody and dramatic. Hopefully this the case with him and he will grow out of it. As far as the bad language is concerned, I am appalled by the language of young people these days. I know that I am old and old fashion, but the everyday language of most young people is very bad. As a youth, I would have had more respect for my elders to talk like that.

It has been my experience that teens can be very moody and dramatic. Hopefully this the case with him and he will grow out of it. As far as the bad language is concerned, I am appalled by the language of young people these days. I know that I am old and old fashion, but the everyday language of most young people is very bad. As a youth, I would have had more respect for my elders to talk like that.
For what it's worth, I've never really sworn that much, and especially not at my parents. It tends to happen only if I'm upset, or if someone swears at me first.

Honestly, I think you could go back to the fifties or sixties, or even earlier, and the older folks then would still be saying the same thing about the younger generation. There are just different words involved now.

I used to lose my temper with my parents when I was 13-15 and finally when to the shrink. The cause was simple for him, I hate my parents but now I just treat them as childs that are on charge of me.

For what it's worth, I've never really sworn that much, and especially not at my parents. It tends to happen only if I'm upset, or if someone swears at me first.

Honestly, I think you could go back to the fifties or sixties, or even earlier, and the older folks then would still be saying the same thing about the younger generation. There are just different words involved now.
I know that not all young people use bad language and I didn't mean to imply that anybody in particular does. You are right about the different words involved now and that's the problem. I've had to throttle my own sons for their language around their mother. She can swear like the dickens herself, but that's not the point. It's a matter of respect.

She can swear like the dickens herself, but that's not the point. It's a matter of respect.
Of course, and I agree with you. I do think most people grow out of swearing excessively, though, especially if they're in a positive environment surrounded by good role models.

Sounds far more like Tourette's syndrome to me!!!

Bloody hell sh@t F#ck!!!

New Threads

Top Bottom