• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Telcom Keep Changing Smartphone Prices

The Penguin

Chilly Willy The Penguin
I find it very interesting how the telecom companies charge the prices of a phones every week. In Canada, I believe when the iPhone 6 16GB version came out was about $100 for a two year term. Later on it is $200. The price @ThePenguin paid for his phone, $30. That's right, I paid $30. I know you can even get the phone for $0 with some providers. Today, the iPhone costs $265 on a two year term. The phone cost more than what it did when it first came out. Bear in mind there other providers may have lower prices. Anyhow, some people are getting ripped off when they buy a new phone. I just glad I'm not one of those people.

Demand for the latest Iphone is exceeding supply. Each new generation of the device seems to double in data consumption. It all adds up to higher costs that the public is presently more than willing to pay for. Also factor in lower gasoline prices which fuels consumer electronics appetites.

I suppose pricing will only subside when demand does. But at the present it seems consumers just cannot get enough data for their handheld devices. Especially when the oil futures market is suddenly providing consumers with the perception that they have the money to pay for it.

Everyone wants their own version of a Star Trek "tricorder"....and they're getting them without much regard to what it all costs.

Last edited:
True. But I think for Canada it a little more to it. You see, it use to be to get the latest phone, you have to be on a 3 year plan while most of the world is two years. I believe we also have the most expensive rate plans in the western world. Many of us been complaining to the CRTC(Canadian Radio-Television Commission) about the F'd up practices of these Telcom companies. So the CRTC came up with The CRTC Wireless Code. Part of it the Telcom can only offer contacts up to 2 years. Based on this, they will make less profit. Therefore, I thinking they keep dicking around with the pricing to make up the difference. Then at the rare time, they offer discounts to get a few new customers. So for here, it not just the iPhone keep changing pricing, it all phones. However, I don't let those Telcoms rip me off. I made them give me a 6GB data plan for $30.

True. But I think for Canada it a little more to it.

No doubt. But then in the US there's a definite shift of less regulation over handheld devices in the future. Not a trend I'd anticipate for Canada anytime soon. I don't see this as being necessarily positive for consumers either. I wouldn't expect any relief from pricing any time soon.

In general though, I doubt consumer demand for the product and service is much different across our northern border. Or anywhere else on the planet...

But as an app developer I'd think you'd appreciate such demand. It plays right into YOUR business plan. Mine too. :)

Last edited:
I got my Samsung Galaxy S5 for $100 with a two year contract last May. I got a 6GB data plan and my total cost is $115 USD a month to keep it running.
I have been a Verizon wireless customer for over 11 years now and pretty much can call my own shots with them now.

I got my Samsung Galaxy S5 for $100 with a two year contract last May. I got a 6GB data plan and my total cost is $115 USD a month to keep it running.
I have been a Verizon wireless customer for over 11 years now and pretty much can call my own shots with them now.

My cousin has one. She loves it. I like it too...seems pretty cool. My nephew loves his Iphone though...wouldn't ever give it up. Go figure!

Me? I just love my desktop system I built myself. The idea of using a computer I can't crack open just doesn't appeal to me. And I'm somewhat partial to viewing screens 27 inches wide. Or more. :D

If I ever do buy a mobile phone it would likely be something down-and-dirty...just a basic phone to be used infrequently. And priced as such...

Last edited:
I bought a cable that lets me plug it into my tv at full resolution. I put away all my camera gear,the S5 camera blows away anything I ever held in my hand including my expensivo SLR. The video is true 1080p and the S5 takes bursts of still shots that enable it to refocus a shot that is out of focus at will. I run two digital sampling oscilloscope applications that are accurate enough to handle many tasks without breaking out my lab scope. I have about $8,000 invested in a very high end automotive computer scan tool that is bulky and cumbersome to carry. There is an app installed in my phone that does a great job of a quick see on a check engine light trouble code issue and running the datastream live via bluetooth that fits in my pocket. I run VLC player on my computer and have the app to remote control it on my pc along with being a remote on my tv sets.
I am an information junkie and often use my phone to check my incoming emails without disturbing my 'puter. I use a system of my email to leave myself notes that can't get tossed away or lost that I can access from anywhere in the world that has a smartphone or computer. The voice activated features leave my hands free once I open the assistant app.
There are thousands more tasks that mine can handle that I haven't explored yet. I love to take full advantage of my technology :p

I held an Apple phone in my hand before I went Android...it was easy to use and fast but not as impressive as my open source OS is.

I bought a cable that lets me plug it into my tv at full resolution.
I got one for my Note 3 for about $10. I only used it once though. In the future, I might use it to connect to a data projector for PowerPoint Presentations.

Here in my little corner of the US my only option is AT&T and they are pretty consistent with their prices as far as smartphones go (at least when it comes with a 2-year contract), as far as I have observed.

Here in my little corner of the US my only option is AT&T and they are pretty consistent with their prices as far as smartphones go (at least when it comes with a 2-year contract), as far as I have observed.
AT&T was my provider for years until they had that sell out fiasco with that crappy company years back. I jumped ship when the new company left me standing out in the cold and refused to honor my loyalty to AT&T and only offered me junky phones that were out of control on the prices with no discounts.
You only need to try to burn me once and I just go away ;)

AT&T was my provider for years until they had that sell out fiasco with that crappy company years back. I jumped ship when the new company left me standing out in the cold and refused to honor my loyalty to AT&T and only offered me junky phones that were out of control on the prices with no discounts.
You only need to try to burn me once and I just go away ;)
Sadly it is literally my only option, as it is the only service that gets signal where I live. :(

Sadly it is literally my only option, as it is the only service that gets signal where I live. :(
I beat up Verizon and they sent me a repeater box free of charge to enhance my weak signal...it is more a voip event in my house,but I threatened to jump ship with them over lack of enough signal to even make a call.

New Threads

Top Bottom