• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tasks taking a lot longer because of attention to detail

Everyone thought I was lazy when I was little and now I'm very detail-oriented so no one can say I didn't do enough. I have trouble letting myself be done with anything so I get in trouble when I need to be fast.

Do you have anything like that maybe or not?
Yeah I can relate to that. It's an issue that comes up for me at school too. I study woodworking and struggle with finishing the projects in time because I spend a lot of time on every little step. And sometimes I feel scared of that being perceived as lazy from the outside. Though I think for me the perceived lazyness when I was young and to this day has maybe more to do with me struggling with executive functioning. But I guess both are kind of intertwined?

I do that at times, but usually I'll also neglect something so glaringly obvious that I'm stunned at my own 'stupidity' (even though it's obviously some kind of deficit / not on purpose) when somebody points it out.

It's kind of like, "Thanks, the sink is spotless! But you didn't even do the... floors?"
Haha, aw! Yeah sometimes I get hyperfocused on very small stuff (like organizing the baby's clothes), that I end up skipping on pretty basic stuff like mopping the floors or making sure they have clean sheets. I notice the things though but end up running out of time. So you're also a housecleaner? :)

New Threads

Top Bottom