• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Such incompetence in the psychiatry department

Yuck. "Females with autism are generally more impaired..." right there is part of why we remain underdiagnosed.

Exactly. They stated several things in there that were just down right ignorant. And they are supposed to be the experts! I am furious.

It's a 2002 journal, so it's from over 16 years ago, and a lot has changed since then. I suggest that when reading journal articles, you search for ones from the past few years, unless you are specifically looking at the history of a subject. This applies to any field you have interest in, not just psychiatry. The older a journal is, naturally the more misunderstandings it contains compared with current knowledge.

Frankly I'd likely take a dim view of much of anything published relative to autism in 2002 as opposed to the present. Though I think most of us can agree that medical research still has a long way to go...

The article appeared to be primarily a review of the literature, by
individuals recently starting their academic career. At that time,
for a female to be identified as autistic would require her 'symptoms'
to be very noticeable, and as such the females would seem to be
*more impaired* than the males.

Article was written 17 years ago. Much more study on the subject
has been done since that time. It's not like this is cutting edge
current information.

I recognized it was an old article. It was the only one I came across addressing autistic women and depression though. And even though it is a dated issue. I do not see any justification for the psychiatric community not recognizing autistic woman then or now. If you have talked to anyone in the medical profession recently about autism you would find that these views have not changed. They are not being taught about how to detect autism in women. We are still under diagnosed and misdiagnosed. That is the frustrating part. This article might as well read todays date as for the understanding of women with autism in the medical community.

@Ginseng

...understanding of women with autism in the medical community “

Do you mean working amongst colleagues in the medical community?
(as a medical professional)
Or a general understanding within the medical community of women on the spectrum?

Not trying to be picky,
Brain’s a bit frazzled.
Sorry. :)

When I got my diagnosis, I made sure that I was refereed to a psychologist with experience with Asperger's Syndrome. This was back when the DSM-4 was the criteria for making a diagnosis. The reason for seeking out a experienced psychologist is for that experience. It seems to me that those who are not on the spectrum just do not understand, even doctors. I knew that males are much more likely than females to be autistic. However I did not know how much differently autism affects females. I have never met a female who was on the spectrum.

New Threads

Top Bottom