• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Strange quirk - impulsive running

Progster

Grown sideways to the sun
V.I.P Member
Ever since childhood, I've had a strange quirk - I get a sudden surge or excitement and a kind of energy, and I just suddenly take off and run across the room, sometimes hitting the wall when I come up against it. When I do this, it's like my brain disconnects and I'm not in control of my movements, I'm not consciously aware of it happening until I find myself across the other side of the room and realise I just did it - this running is entirely involuntary. I did it a lot as a kid, and I still do it as an adult. When I was a kid, I would do it often, even in the middle of talking to someone and people thought it was strange.

What I'd like to know is, does anybody else do this? Why does it happen - what could be causing it? I'm not sure whether it is something that everybody does sometimes, or just me?

I shake my hands - I don't feel conscious of doing it. Yet my subconscious must be, because I never do it in front of other people after my dad grew alarmed and angry about it and harshly told me to stop. I didn't understand why at the time, only knew that it would get me in trouble and was something very taboo, it seemed. My dad is a doctor, so who knows, maybe he knew it was a sign of something he didn't want to accept or deal with in me. I do also run and pace in a very similar way - however, not to the point that I run into walls, and I never do it in front of anyone else. Not because I am conscious of restricting myself, but again, must be my subconscious?

My husband (who is Aspie, as am I) does this. He can’t understand why it’s a problem for me or anyone. (Besides the safety issues — as it can happen ANYWHERE at ANY time — ir creates huge sensory issues for me and at least some other folks.) He isn’t a member of this forum, but I’ve told him about this thread because I’m hoping he’ll join and talk about it.

Thank you for your replies.

It reminds me of stories I've heard about autistic people who wander

I think that @Warmheart mentions this in a thread, but I don't think it's that. It only lasts for a few seconds and it's not related to brain fog.

I do also run and pace in a very similar way - however, not to the point that I run into walls, and I never do it in front of anyone else. Not because I am conscious of restricting myself, but again, must be my subconscious?

I do it in front of other people sometimes - I do it in front of my partner - sometimes in public, but mainly at home. I sometimes flap my hands, too. My partner (NT) doesn't complain about me doing it, he knows that it is often a sign of excitement or happiness in me, and asks me why I am running. Sometimes I'm not even aware I have been doing it, or that my body language has changed in any way, and his question surprises me.

But what I'm really interested in is why this happens, is it due to overstimulation?

He isn’t a member of this forum, but I’ve told him about this thread because I’m hoping he’ll join and talk about it.
Any imput on this is welcome.

Thank you for your replies.

I think that @Warmheart mentions this in a thread, but I don't think it's that. It only lasts for a few seconds and it's not related to brain fog.

I do it in front of other people sometimes - I do it in front of my partner - sometimes in public, but mainly at home. I sometimes flap my hands, too. My partner (NT) doesn't complain about me doing it, he knows that it is often a sign of excitement or happiness in me, and asks me why I am running. Sometimes I'm not even aware I have been doing it, or that my body language has changed in any way, and his question surprises me.

But what I'm really interested in is why this happens, is it due to overstimulation?

Any imput on this is welcome.
Do you feel calm when you run ?if not it's probably a panic attack -it's common for anybody to get them ,it's away to alleviate stress.
If you feel calm it's joy

Do you feel calm when you run ?if not it's probably a panic attack -it's common for anybody to get them ,it's away to alleviate stress.
If you feel calm it's joy
No, it's not a panic attack - it happens when I'm excited, I think I become overwhelmed to the point of not being able to control my body. Perhaps it is due to overstimulation.

No, it's not a panic attack - it happens when I'm excited, I think I become overwhelmed to the point of not being able to control my body. Perhaps it is due to overstimulation.
I do these things when buzzing with internal energy or raising the energy within me for something exciting.

I do these things when buzzing with internal energy or raising the energy within me for something exciting.
For me, it seems to be more about having too much energy and needing to unload it, that's why I think that it is a reaction to overstimulation, in my case.

This sounds like bolting, which is related to wandering, but different. It is sudden, abrupt. It is when the brain gets overwhelmed too quickly. For me, it happens when a room fills too quickly with people, for example.

Incidentally, autism professionals currently mislabel wandering, bolting, flopping, school/work refusal etc. as “escape behaviors.” What these are: Valid communication that the situation or environment is beyond someone’s ability to cope. While all kids and adults may try to occasionally get out of an unpleasant situation now and then, Autistics have sensitivities and challenges which are not on a neurotypical’s radar(no matter how educated they may be) , and our communication is especially challenged when we’re under stress (no matter how articulate we normally may be).
Bolting, flopping, wandering, school/work refusal all ultimately mean a situation or environment is inappropriate for our neurology. In better situations and environments (less hectic, less social) we can thrive and be safe.

If your situation is indeed bolting, I hope you are able to learn to read which situations are simply too much for you, and streamline your life toward easier environments. Good to avoid situations where you may be overwhelmed too quickly.
My list is: Doctor’s waiting rooms, and theaters. I usually have my autism support worker either wait there for me and come get me when it’s my turn at he doctors, or we sit in the movie theater where few people are likely to come to sit. Best success!

@Warmheart Thank you for your input. I thought that bolting was a fear/flight response, but I guess it can happen under any circumstance when the brain gets overloaded, can't cope and needs to offload, perhaps it's the brain's way of regulating itself.

The problem with most autism professionals is that they don't have autism and don't experience these phenomena and so can't know what it's like or what's really going on. They don't have an insider's point of view and need to listen to us more.

Impulsive running is a standard feature in some church services.

What do you mean?

I mean that in some churches it is common for people of any
age to feel a need to run about and they do so. It's not an organized
activity. It is an individual thing. I have done so myself.

I do get this too. It may not always be running, but I do get that sudden burst of energy of excitement and I'll jump to the side or run, or something similar. It's usually when I'm talking to someone and something exciting has come up in conversation and I do it. Someone I was talking to once on the landing at the top of some stairs, said to me that they were worried I would fall down the stairs if I got excited again in the conversation, because I kept jumping and running etc. :laughing:

I do get this too. It may not always be running, but I do get that sudden burst of energy of excitement and I'll jump to the side or run, or something similar. It's usually when I'm talking to someone and something exciting has come up in conversation and I do it. Someone I was talking to once on the landing at the top of some stairs, said to me that they were worried I would fall down the stairs if I got excited again in the conversation, because I kept jumping and running etc. :laughing:
Yes, this is exactly what it is, just reading your post made me do it!!

Ever since childhood, I've had a strange quirk - I get a sudden surge or excitement and a kind of energy, and I just suddenly take off and run across the room, sometimes hitting the wall when I come up against it. When I do this, it's like my brain disconnects and I'm not in control of my movements, I'm not consciously aware of it happening until I find myself across the other side of the room and realise I just did it - this running is entirely involuntary. I did it a lot as a kid, and I still do it as an adult. When I was a kid, I would do it often, even in the middle of talking to someone and people thought it was strange.

What I'd like to know is, does anybody else do this? Why does it happen - what could be causing it? I'm not sure whether it is something that everybody does sometimes, or just me?

Neurological uniqueness that is not common to the general population. If it is, it’s been hidden. I have never met anyone to do any of these excitement movements.

What happens when you get angry? Do you also have uncontrollable actions? Like head banging, fist smashing, breaking things? Just curious. I learn so much from these autism threads.

I mean that in some churches it is common for people of any
age to feel a need to run about and they do so. It's not an organized
activity. It is an individual thing. I have done so myself.

Wow, what kind of churches do this? I was brought up in Catholic Churches with Latin mass and that was very boring. I would get slapped and pinched for fidgeting through the very long service where all we did was stand, kneel, and sit listening to boring sermons. As an adult, I discovered “black” Baptist churches where they sang, danced, and shouted in the aisles, and that was AMAZING!!!! Then, I went to Hindu service, where they dance all morning long, and eat a totally impressive free buffet meal afterwards. They have all these amazingly visual deities, and beautifully fascinating artwork. Then there are churches where a former Kentucky coworker came from, where they the preacher handled snakes. WOW. I feel I got totally gypped with my spiritual upbringing.

Neurological uniqueness that is not common to the general population. If it is, it’s been hidden. I have never met anyone to do any of these excitement movements.

What happens when you get angry? Do you also have uncontrollable actions? Like head banging, fist smashing, breaking things? Just curious. I learn so much from these autism threads.
Yes, I throw, hit, kick and smash things, and sometimes do damage to things or to myself. I need to avoid situations that make me feel angry or frustrated, because I don't handle it well.

Edit: I sometimes run or shake my arms or make other movements, too.

New Threads

Top Bottom