• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Stim Toys! For fun and thereapy.

So, what objects (purpose-made or improvised) have you tried? Would you recommend them to others?

I took a two inch bare wooden ball, sanded it very smooth then smoothed it further is #0000 steel wool, then I rubbed it with bee's wax and heated it until the wax drew into the pores. I rubbed and polished the ball shiny then added more wax. I polished it until it was very smooth and shiny and the wax made it look amber. I like the feeling of the smooth round ball in my hands. If I am really nervous I can squeeze it very hard and not hurt the ball. I can also roll it around my fingers, feeling the smoothness over my skin. I like to run my fingertips over it and I can do all these things while the ball is in a pocket so no one sees. I also like to leave it on my lap (like now) and see it's beautiful color. It is my little world I can carry with me.

When I am out and the world seems so strange and threatening I can feel stronger knowing I have my own little world with me and no one knows. It's like a superpower :)

I never really realized my desire to play with squishy and fluffy things to focus/entertain myself and such was 'stimming.' I just though I really liked the feel. But I was downright obsessed with those textures. So I collected hundreds of similar objects, a lot of them getting ruined because they're made of rubber/plastic and kept in heat. But here are some toys I've used for either just playing with and feeling the texture, or used as an actual tool for focus. One thing missing from this picture is a smiley face stress ball because I can't find it.

The green frog is basically a hollow rubber from 'skin', per say, with holes. Inside the skin is a reddish-pink ball. When you squeeze the frog the inner ball kinda squishes through the holes and becomes a slightly lighter color. Definitely a favorite of mine, but I keep it at home because its too distracting to others. I got this at an an arcade in Chicago with tickets. The middle is a pink squishy donut keychain with googly eyes and colorful sprinkles. I attach it to my bag when I'm going somewhere for a long time so I can play with it and people don't bat an eye. Much more subtle than my other toys. I got this from Claire's (teen girl jewelry store lol. But they can have some good stuff like this). In the front it a blue caterpillar with puffy 'hairs
for lack of a better word. This stays at home with the frog, because of possible damage when outside, and because I'd be embarrassed if someone found out it belonged to me :rolleyes:. Last is a red apple foam stress ball, which is quite sturdy andmakes for a good hand exercise. I bring this to school to help me focus during class, but usually people ask to play with it and it defeats the purpose. And sometimes they refuse to give it back and I gt furious at them lol.
View media item 4641

Anyway, if any of you are interested in buying similar items, here's a site that has the frog and other related things, in case you haven't heard of it.
Office Toys, Stress Balls & Desktop Toys - Office Playground

Last edited:
Really want one of these...
4a5e535995de52648480897113eccb47.jpg

I have a Twiddle too, Datura ! :) Mine is the blue one. They're great! :)

One of my current favorite stim toys is this pink and purple Tangle Jr toy:

...And since I also love to stim with soft things, like stuffed animals, I always carry at least two mini Disney Tsum Tsum plushies with me:

I also have a favorite assortment of small toys I like to fidget with...two of my favorites are a die cast car named Susie and a Calico Critters cat that a friend gave me.

In addition, I also wear a chewy pendant from Stimtastic. I never knew how much I like chewing as a stim until I got one.

New Threads

Top Bottom