• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Still trying to figure out who I am...

nightowl

Hi to you all,
I am very new to this site, the reason for me finding this wonderful site is that I have a friend who has AS, and as the time has passed by I have realised that we are quite similar in certain ways. I have tried to read as much as possible about AS, and only yesterday when I found a chart about Women/Girls with AS, it was as if I was reading about myself.

I have always felt odd, have difficulties to make friends all through my life. When I was young I was told not to be too trusting in people, something life has taught me in the "hard way". I have husband, and children, they are all different from myself, and I have been told that I have no sense of humour, that I'm asocial. I have tried to explain that being forced into meeting people without given the chance to prepare myself for it, makes me physically sick. I am happy when I can be on my own, doing things I like to do. I love reading books, computers, music, science, anything that has to do with medical science.

I scored 147 on the RAADS-R test, highest on Social Relatedness, and Sensory Motor sections.

Welcome home Nightowl, I'm certain you will not only find a warm welcome but loads of information to help you make that decision. Hopefully your family are being supportive in your search, and they could benefit from some of the links on the site too.

Welcome home Nightowl, I'm certain you will not only find a warm welcome but loads of information to help you make that decision. Hopefully your family are being supportive in your search, and they could benefit from some of the links on the site too.
Thank you for the welcome :) I'm still in the beginning of my search. Unsure whether I will tell my family or not. I have been searching for so long, desperately in need to find out what's wrong with me. And now it seems that I finally have have found some answers.

Welcome :)

I related very much with your description of having to learn about life the 'hard way'. You'll also find that this can be a fairly normal process for many with AS; especially women on the spectrum; as we tend to spend much of our early years invested in appearing like everyone else, only to later realise we have no idea who we have become in the process. The good news is that this is your chance to now decide who it is you want to be; an ongoing process I continue to enjoy thoroughly today. I hope that you too find this process to be as liberating as I have.

Feel free to browse through our resources section, for books on AS:
Resources | AspiesCentral.com

I especially recommend picking up a copy of this book (as you may find it quite relatable): Aspergirls: Empowering Females With Asperger Syndrome | AspiesCentral.com

New Threads

Top Bottom