• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Staffing agency

Robby

Has anyone here used staffing agencies to try and find work? Have they worked? I've been trying to find employment forever I am only mildly autistic but don't want to do customer service or anything requiring heavy duty public interaction. I've applied for library page positions, have been rejected for all those. I tried a receptionist job but it was way too much multi tasking can't handle that. I also struggle with short term memory although my long term memory is very good. I can only do 1-2 or 3 things at a time and do them well, any more than that I can't handle. I am supposed to go to a staffing agency tomorrow, I tend to do ok on interviews, but what it comes down to is if I can actually do the job or not, it has to be a job I can actually do and hold. I also am afraid to go to a staffing agency because they'll see my total lack of work history and probably assume I am a drug addict or something. I already told them I am mildly autistic, don't know if that will help me or not, but at this point I don't really care. I just hope they can help me find something so I can get started working and fill up my resume, something I can actually do. I've been trying to get a job on my own but it hasn't worked out. I've also been using a local employment placement place for people with disabilities, but it's going on 3 months, and they still haven't sent me on an interview. The guy there said it just takes time due to their heavy case load, but I am tired of waiting, so that's why I am going to try a staffing agency. I just hope they are open to helping someone who is autistic like me.

I am where I am today (which isn't that bad) by starting at a staffing agency. If you have the skills, it can be a good place to begin.

Ok so I went to two different staffing agencies last week. The first one had good reviews, I went in, met with the recruiter, she just asked me like 4 questions about what I was looking to do, I was upfront with her told her I had mild autism but very high functioning, she said she would have never guessed. She told me that she would let me know if she finds anything, she said it could be tomorrow, or two weeks. Anyway, I sent her an email after our meeting thanking her for meeting with me, she did not respond. It's been a week, and have not heard from her, maybe she's just busy, but anyway, is this typical of staffing agencies? Or do they keep in touch until they find you something? How long should I give her before I call them?

I met with another staffing agency guy that same day, at a different agency, he said they would probably be getting some warehouse positions open this week, but have not heard from him either. I sent him an email today asking him to let me know, so guess it's just a waiting game now?

How long should I give them before they get in touch with me about a lead?

Might go to another agency tomorrow, and see what they say. If using a staffing agency, should I tell them about being mildly autistic but high functioning?

Anyway, it's been a week since I went to the other two agencies and have not heard from them. Don't want to get too discouraged too soon, but I'm hoping they don't just see me as hopeless and aren't planning on helping place me in a job.

Well, I answered to a specific opening. If you're not, you should keep in regular contact with the agencies so they know that you're still available for work.

I wasn't applying for a specific opening at either agency. One of them I went to last week the guy said he'd have openings this coming week for an assembly position, but I emailed him and asked him, and he didn't respond to me. So not sure how to take that. Was he lying to me?

I've thought about security just worry a little that it might be too much for me but if it was just basic patrols I could handle it I guess. Also as a gay man I am not sure how serious they would take me because I am not the butchest person around. But I'd consider it.

I'm just so tired and fed up I've done nothing this year except send in applications and nothing. I interview well but I just can't even get any interviews and the so called staffing agencies aren't doing ****. I have been working with this place since November that supposedly helps people with disablities but my case worker is a total mess, she hasn't set up a single interview for me, and constantly makes excuses. I'm not sure why she even has a job. I've been going to her since November and notta. Today was the same old song and dance she just complained about how she's suffering from strep throat, blah blah. I'm sending in tons of applications on my own and hoping something works out. It's just exhausting. My head is spinning at this point I've sent so many applications. I always try and call and drop my name after I submit one, but it just seems like I am getting nowhere. I have applied for tons of jobs since January 1st, and the staffing agencies I went to don't respond to me, and the girl at the employment place for people with disabilities hasn't done **** to help me either, all she ever does is whine about her personal problems like being sick or make excuses. I'm just not sure what to do or where to turn at this point.

Yes, I've used staffing agencies. But you can be thrust into a stressful situation as the client expects you to get the ground running with very little or no training.

Yea that's the thing I'm good if it's something I can do and have clear instructions. I don't need any major accomodations, it's difficult when you have a disability that isn't visible to anyone, like autism. I tend to need things written down so I don't forget things or to have very clear unambigious instructions.

I've sent out more applications than I can count this year. I'm just hoping something works out. Amazon is having a hiring thing next week, not sure if that would be be best for me, but nothing else is working out.

I don't get why people at staffing agencies ask you to come in, but then don't respond to you when you follow up with them asking about work.

I mean there are lots of lazy people out there but I am willing to work but I can't get a chance. I don't know what to do at this point.

Recruiters in staffing agencies are like sales. They only make money if they can "sell" you to their customer. The recruiter gets a commission based on that sale.

I don't like staffing agencies either. And this vocational place I've been working with, it's been a waste of time. I don't know why they're in business if they can't find people jobs. My caseworker is a scattered wreck she doesn't seem to know up from down. It's been 4 months since I've been seeing her and she hasn't sent me on one single interview.

I'm meeting with her and her boss this week, so we'll see if her boss has anything to say. If not, I'm ditching them. They're an agency that's supposed to help people with disabilities find work,but they haven't helped me in 4 months.

I have been very proactive with them but my caseworker just seems totally overwhelmed and not capable. I spoke to her on the phone the other day and she's always nice, but she just keeps giving excuses.

Basically I know what I need..a job that doesn't require much multi tasking or interaction with the general public, at least initially. And I don't want something really heavy on hard labor, although I am not opposed to manual labor if I can handle it.

I'm not stupid, I know what jobs generally speaking I can do and which I can't. And I figured out that unless it's over the phone, I can't do anything customer service related. Just can't. Or anything heavy on multi tasking.

I prefer direct hire too I don't feeling like I'm a pawn or go between. But it depends on the job and what's available. I'm keeping my options open. My main issue is that, having never really had a regular job, I don't know what I'd be comfortable with and what I wouldn't be. Although I already know I do NOT want anything customer service or major multi tasking. I'd like to answer phones or something but those just don't seem to be available other than receptionist jobs which I cannot do due to the multi tasking.

So I just don't know.

I prefer direct hire too I don't feeling like I'm a pawn or go between. But it depends on the job and what's available. I'm keeping my options open. My main issue is that, having never really had a regular job, I don't know what I'd be comfortable with and what I wouldn't be. Although I already know I do NOT want anything customer service or major multi tasking. I'd like to answer phones or something but those just don't seem to be available other than receptionist jobs which I cannot do due to the multi tasking.

So I just don't know.
Check into Securitas's website. I recommend you apply if they have posts in your area. The majority of guards I encounter are not 'butch', and most of your duties would consist of a few patrols and keeping a log. Depending on the site, contact with people could be minimal. Caterpillar has an empty factory out here the we patrol.

You would basically be posted at a desk in an office building. So low stress that it's going to be, at times, boring.

I used to work in retail as an auto technician. Had to get out due to customer issues and changing store policies. Started my security gig and my stress levels dropped tremendously.

New Threads

Top Bottom