• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Spectrum disorders and me - help needed

Nomen Dubium

V.I.P Member
Hello everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to pose this question, but I hope someone can at least point me in the right direction because I think I need some help.

Specifically, I have Klinefelter's Syndrome, an abnormality in which a male has an extra X chromosome, (it's sometimes called '47, XXY' because of the extra chromosome). Because KS is a spectrum disorder the effects vary from patient to patient, with a few baseline constants to anchor it - for me these include sterility, language-based learning difficulties (which made life very difficult until I developed coping strategies), poor memory, poor communication skills, impaired social interaction and problems with processing information. I've read that men with Klinefelter's are likely to also be on the autism spectrum, but I don't know how to find out for certain if I am. I've identified behaviours within myself that seem to correspond with the little I know of Asperger's, but I can't be sure Some of the behaviours I've noticed are:

• Verbal, motor and mental tics - usually palilalia but also spontaneously generated, meaningless words and phrases, and physical twitching confined to the head, neck and shoulders. A psychologist who was treating me for something else tentatively suggested Tourette's when I asked him about these symptoms.
  • Intense interests in topics that I can't interest anyone else in. These usually last a week or two and then it's on to something else. Some interests linger, though.
  • Social anxiety - if I visit a venue I'm always alone. I've driven 50 miles to visit an attraction before now, looked around it for about an hour and then driven 50 miles home again, all without interacting with anyone else beyond what's necessary to get in.
  • Dyspraxia - I'm okay sitting down, but I can be clumsy when moving around. Sometimes arm-shaking and hand movements when I'm walking.
  • The biggie: meltdowns - I get stressed very easily, and then I get stressed about being stressed and all that stress builds up into a rage explosion. I work in a solitary job with unreliable equipment and when the equipment malfunctions, I can end up screaming, crying, banging myself over the head... once I ended up smashing the inside of the van. It's not just work-related. I had one last night while I was trying to install a media player on my computer. It wasn't working and I got more and more wound up until I was raging again.

Out of curiosity I took an online Autism Spectrum Quotient test (it was a link from a YouTube channel; don't know how legitimate it is) and scored 39 points, which I think places me inside the bracket of interest. So... is it possible to have Klinefelter's and Asperger's at the same time, and if it is, at what point do they overlap and what should I do about it?

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

giphy.gif

So, next question. Not sure how to phrase this, but 'how old is too old?'

I was in the chatroom until quite late last night - late enough that my memory of it is a bit hazy - but I vaguely recall somebody mentioning that my age (I'm 50) puts me outside the normal bracket for some symptoms that I nonetheless experience, namely things like meltdowns that I get on a pretty regular basis (I've had one this week and came close to another at work yesterday). Is there an age you reach where these things supposedly taper off, or might the Klinefelter's complicate the picture?

New Threads

Top Bottom