• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Speaking to Employer About Autism Diagnoses

claslv87

I was diagnosed last year with high functioning autism, since this time I've been sitting on this information and have wanted to share this information with my employer, but have been hesitant to as I have no idea how to discuss this with them in a productive way.

To complicate matters, I currently do not have the documentation on my diagnoses as the psychologist whom performed the test and told me I have high functioning autism will not hand over the report directly to me (I am currently seeking local resources on obtaining these medical records).

As such, I am left with this sort of...void...at work, I want to be able to explain myself, social awkwardness, etc. to better improve relations with my co-workers, but I am afraid of negative consequences of revealing that I am autistic if I explain things wrong. I have difficulty communicating things in person (I liken it to my thoughts going through a shredder and being pieced together as I speak) and so I've remained silent, but in doing so I've also become frustrated.

What I am seeking is information on how to discuss these matters with my employer, I live in an area where therapists, etc. that specialize in autism are non-existent and I feel pretty alone in figuring this out.

Thank you and I appreciate any advice :)

I have never disclosed to any employer,accept one,if your disability does not effect the job then your employer has no need to know.If you have held the job for more than two weeks than clearly it hasn't effected to job,so no need to know.Just my thoughts,don't know what else to say.

Right now l work in a autistic friendly place where there is more than one of us. This helps a lot. But in 99% places, l would never disclose it. But this is just a personal opinion.

Welcome to Autism Forums! If you tell other people about your diagnosis, they probably will not understand and will think really weird things. For me, it is a need to know basis only. I can see how under the right circumstances that a employer might need to know, but be very careful with that information.

New Threads

Top Bottom