• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Some time to think

wanderer03

I've had some time to think about the "so-called" American dream with the big house and the picket fence and I realize that I vehemently reject this dream. For me, the very definition of insanity is working all day and all week long to barely afford a house that you get to spend so little time in. Society considers this normal but to me it's crazy.

It's only now that I'm beginning to climb out of the deep, dark cavern of depression that I realize what really counts in my life. My goal is to have a modicum of freedom and to go from being employed to being an independent contractor. I don't want a home or family, just to be able to earn a living and live out my years in relative happiness. I'm not meant to live the traditional life as expected by society. If this puts me on the fringe, so be it. A rich life does not necessarily need to be a conformist one.

I'm glad you know what you want in life. I often think about what I want, I don't think I'm quite there. I think about relationships and I struggle to see just how far i can go with them, being asexual I don't find others actively attractive but I do want a romantic relationship with someone. What I want from life at the moment is the ability to live somewhat independently from my parents and have a job I enjoy, and that seems to be like achieving the impossible.

I'm glad you know what you want in life. I often think about what I want, I don't think I'm quite there. I think about relationships and I struggle to see just how far i can go with them, being asexual I don't find others actively attractive but I do want a romantic relationship with someone. What I want from life at the moment is the ability to live somewhat independently from my parents and have a job I enjoy, and that seems to be like achieving the impossible.

It may seem impossible but it really is not - you will get to the point where you can live independently and find a job that you'll like. It may take time but it will happen as you are on no one's timetable but your own. You might begin by asking yourself what it is that you enjoy doing. It took me some significant soul searching to finally admit that I hate IT, despite being good at it, I traded IT for a job driving. Sure driving is mundane but when Monday comes around, I don't dread it and I'm not sent into a tizzy.

I want a relationship with a woman but I don't want to get married and I certainly don't want any children.

I've had some time to think about the "so-called" American dream with the big house and the picket fence and I realize that I vehemently reject this dream. For me, the very definition of insanity is working all day and all week long to barely afford a house that you get to spend so little time in. Society considers this normal but to me it's crazy.

Well, I'm Canadian, but good for you.

There's not a lot of good I can say about my parents, but they did realize that the North American Dream lifestyle is not for everyone, and didn't try to push it upon us. And that is why all four of their children are single now, for one.

New Threads

Top Bottom