• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Some Questions Featuring Computers!

Gomendosi

V.I.P Member
These are questions that could go elsewhere but as they feature computers?

Somebody once told me that the reason why I have so much trouble with computers, crashing, dying HDD?s that sort of thing, is because I have too much static electricity in me! I tend to think it?s because I buy second hand parts as that?s all I can afford and also the climate where I live is hot & humid!

What would be the best budget chip, board and vid card for someone who wanted to start gaming with a latest release? As I have a steady job now I thought I would put together a decent computer and start playing some newer games, I still play things like unreal tournament and delta force 2 on my current desktop LOL

Relating to discussions about appearing on webcam, how do you mob get along, because I know that these would be pictures or vids of me that everybody can see now and forever and it totally freaks me out! I was livid when my boss took pix of me, along with others, at random times and put them on his social page and when I complained he laughed and said the government has had whole dedicated computers with pictures and vids of me on ?em!

Lastly and, this is asked with tongue in cheek, are you still a pirate if you give away copies of what you download to anybody who wants it LOL
--- That is not ordinary piratical behavior methinks mateys ARRRRGGGHHH ---

Concerning your question about building a gaming computer, what would be your budget for that?

Thanks for asking, we'll say, about a thousand money, Aussie dollars ; ]
That should be sufficient, $1000.00 (he says having no idea and hoping nobody laughs)

I don't see why I would laugh? That's an excellent budget for a high performance computer :) I was expecting something lower than that...

I did a currency check on Google, that's about + or - $1060 USD (correct me if I'm wrong, 'cause I'm going by this figure)...I don't know what e-tailers or resellers are available in your country, but I imagine that the prices for hardware aren't too much removed from the States.

Anyways...with that budget, I'd suggest at the bare minimum:

CPU - Intel Core i5-2500k (~$210)
GPU - Radeon HD 6950 (~$240)
Motherboard - ASUS P8P67 Pro (~$170)
RAM - 2x4gb of DDR3-1600 (~$50)
PSU - I wouldn't go lower than $90 on the PSU, 650w for one GPU, add 150w for each additional GPU
HDD - prices have gone up on hard drives which sucks, I'd spend around $90
Case - spend around $100, and make sure it has at least 2 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans; if not, ~$10 for each fan
Optical - there should be just enough money for an optical drive

This doesn't include shipping charges and these are all estimates which means you could potentially save some money, but with your budget this should be enough to get you started. If you have any older parts that are compatible (especially hard drives) and if you take advantage of rebates or special deals, that'll save you even more money :) Also, if you can squeeze it into the budget, get an aftermarket cooler for the CPU, you won't regret it and it'll allow for a modest overclock should you wish to go that route. The stock cooling for Sandy Bridge CPUs is supposed to be within their "standards" (********, obviously), but the climate in which you live in problems might crop up with the CPU not staying within thermal limits.

You could also wait another couple of months for the new Ivy Bridge CPUs to arrive and the next generation of hardware as well, if you so desire.

If you have any questions to ask, or if any fellow techies here have any criticism or feedback to offer please do so.

Last edited:
Relating to discussions about appearing on webcam, how do you mob get along, because I know that these would be pictures or vids of me that everybody can see now and forever and it totally freaks me out!

I have only appeared on webcam about 2 or 3 times overall... I think. I tend to avoid webcaming as it is uncomfortable for me. If I am going on webcam then I usually worry about my appearance to the other person and keeping up the conversation in real-time.

Adding to Johnathan's answer to your computer question, remember that you can upgrade pretty much everything on your computer at a later date. So start with something good but fits your budget and then upgrade as your money allows.

About the piracy question, honestly, even though there is a tiny risk of being found out it's such a widespread problem that it's hard to pinpoint just one individual in particular. Not only that, but if it's free software (e.g. GPL license like Linux) you really don't have much to worry about anyways.

If you'd like to know, the copy of Windows 7 I'm running isn't legit at all and I've yet to hear from the government about it. It is kinda cheap seeing how so much time and effort goes into operating systems development, and technically it is classified as theft, but I can't settle for something like Linux right now as it isn't fully compatible with my hardware and my OEM copy is already in use which would prevent activation on a different motherboard. Perhaps in the future I could actually buy a licensed copy, but again it's a huge problem and if you do decide to join the crowd, then it would only be fair to track down the millions of end users who are just as guilty of pirated software (even if they aren't aware of it) and punish them equally.

Sorry, this maybe off topic?

I use an iMac. SSD (Solid State Drive) is really nice. They are great for graphics (Gaming). But I don't do games. I had Dell Computers in the past but always had Windows issues. I never have any trouble with mine. My wife as an iMac also and I have a Macbook. I love Apple products because I enjoy using them. I don't get into building computers but love to use them. For example my iTunes library is about 800 albums of Classical and Opera. My enjoyment is using the computer, not fixing or restoring it - been there.

Arrrggghhhhh, thanks for all the help you guys, I am defiantly going to have to buy a new computer as this one has been on its last legs for years.

Why is it that computers can turn a completely rational adult into a slathering, rage filled, hormone fueled behemoth with the quiet desperation of a thousand nerdy IT professionals at his back spurring him on?

I swear by all that’s holy I would be happy to reef out its wiring and take its smoldering carcass outside whereupon I would blissfully smash it into a billion tiny pieces, if I wasn’t so sure some well meaning twerp would come up to me and ask something completely innocuous like “Are you alright”, to which my reply would be “I own a computer mate, do you honestly think I’m alright”

LOL

Whatever you wanna do with your old one, go for it. If there are any parts you can salvage from it and if they'll be compatible with your new build, save them as it'll save you money should you go the route of building a new one.

About your old one, I'd suggest a flamethrower. That, or I'd overclock the processor without a cooling fan, overload the power supply, fiddle with the capacitors, etc etc. Creativity in destruction y'know :)

New Threads

Top Bottom