• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Solid State Hybrid Drives

wyverary

V.I.P Member
So, I've been considering replacing my 2012 13" i7 MBP's stock 750GB hard drive with a 1TB SSHD. My question is...

Do any of you have any experience with SSHD's? I have no interest in a pure-bred SSD, as I need much more storage capacity and I also move and edit large files on a regular basis. I asked this question on Facebook and the only response I got from someone who actually uses an SSHD absolutely loves it. I thought I'd pose it to a community of Aspies who would have a fair amount of knowledge on the subject. :)

I have a SSD but it isn't hybrid it is completely solid state. No moving parts.

I find it quite a bit faster and more responsive. Booting is considerably faster, like 400% increase on when I used ordinary non SS drives.

I need much more storage capacity and I also move and edit large files on a regular basis.

No question that an SSD won't adequately address constant editing and massive storage requirements. (Constant writes and rewrites above 50 GB daily will likely prematurely wear an SSD. I'm using Samsung's SSD "Magician" software that mitigates usage concerns coordinated with my OS.)

Unfortunately though while you might get SSHD performance well beyond that of a conventional 5400 RPM 2.5 hard drive, you're still stuck with the same thermodynamic and noise issues that plague most laptops. But yes, any performance enhancement is better than the typical 5400 RPM 2.5 drive that comes with most laptops out of the box.

Personally I won't have anything BUT an SSD now. Performance is incredible. Also virtually noiseless and without any real heat considerations. If I need more capacity I'll just have to spring for another SSD drive. In my case though, I don't really require a lot of space, and I don't constantly write and rewrite to my disk.

I guess in Wyv's case the trick is having to deal with Apple on such a modification so as not to void his warranty. It's just unfortunate that the proprietary nature of Apple hardware keeps this as an expensive proposition when it really doesn't need to be IMO.

Last edited:
I think the answer is simple, don't buy Apple. The main reason why I hate Apple is the way they constantly try to lock in a customer and restrict their freedoms.
If it is my computer I will do what I want with it. End of story :)

I think the answer is simple, don't buy Apple. The main reason why I hate Apple is the way they constantly try to lock in a customer and restrict their freedoms.
If it is my computer I will do what I want with it. End of story :)
It is very annoying indeed. I love my computer but Apple certainly does like to put a chokehold on anything you can do outside their brand! I will probably replace the drive myself when the warranty expires this summer.

New Threads

Top Bottom