• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Social Skills Tips

Crazi

I know I'm not everyone but what worked for me to become more social was watching African-American sitcoms as a kid. I grew up getting a feel for the the pattern of the language and the laughter was contagious. I learned when to laugh and where to emphasize my words.

I also learned to emphasize my weirdness to the point of comedic effect. I found I would have very imaginative ideas and my liberties with language varied greatly from others, so I learned to use this to my advantage. They say that there's a grain of truth behind every joke. For me at least this is very true.

Basically, laughter is laughing about our weaknesses which is a helpful coping method. So my advice to you, if you want to become more social and have a sense of humor is 1) emphasize your weaknesses to the point where it becomes intentional and you might people laughing with you not at you. It like distances yourselves from your weaknesses and says "hey, it's alright." And 2) listen to the way language flows. Draw pictures of what you think that flow would look like if you need to. Whatever it takes to get the rhythm down cause once you can do that, you may not relate mentally but emotionally you can, and that my friends makes a HUGE difference.

Again, there are no guarantee in this, I"m just sharing what worked for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom