• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Social Media

Dwoops

Im curious as to what people’s thoughts are on social media. Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, or whatever else is out there.
I personally have never used any of them in any capacity beyond having an account. I just feel like I don’t know how to do anything, it’s almost worse than communicating in person. I never know what is appropriate or even what certain things mean. Anyways, why I am asking is because all of my peers use this sort of communication and I feel left out(more than usual). When I’m in person I at least make an attempt to socialize, but I don’t even try with social media. I guess I might be afraid to do something wrong, but I don’t think that is quite it. My hesitation for social media has not only hurt my capabilities to connect with others, but I feel like I know nothing whenever I do make an attempt. A good example is using this site. There are all these little buttons to say something about a post, “agree” is pretty self explanatory, but I have no clue what the others are supposed to mean or how to use them. Like “friendly,” what is this trying to communicate?
I just feel completely lost in any form of social media and wanted to see what others thought about it.

I've done a lot of studies on social media and it's a pretty bloated thing. There is a lot going on.

Overall i think it's better not to be a part of Twitter, facebook, Instagram ... for many good reasons. Don't want to go off on a tangent lol

There is literally only 1-2 persons i actually talk to semi-regularly out of 100's on the "friends" list. Yet, this platform is still the most
convenient as it's what everybody uses. They're reluctant to use anything else that's considered a down grade. Like email.

Seeing as how everyone uses this... you might need it periodically. But i would advise going to the main site of FBpurity.com and installing their addon. It allows you to filter your news feed or eliminate it. Filter posts. There are a ton of things you can do with it that will give a large amount of control back to you and not Facebook.

As for the "friendly" icon on this site i just assign my own meaning based on the symbol lol. Sometimes it means "I feel ya on that one" or "empathy / sympathy" "hang in there" "you're awesome"

Last edited:
Facebook in general is OK, there's a lot of idiots on it, but that's true of most things, especially Twitter IMO, I have a Twitter account, but I hardly ever use it.

I have a Facebook account, but not Instagram or Twitter or any of the other ones. I keep it to send PMs or to chat with my family and that's all I use it for - like an email service really. I also visit a prog rock private group. I don't post status updates - what's the point? I don't post anything on my profile except the occasional music video.
I know one or two people who I occasionally talk to who have Facebook accounts, and when I talk to them, they seem ok, by that I mean, they talk about a variety of subjects which can be interesting, then I visit their facebook page and it's full of superfical cr*p like silly memes or cat pictures or baby pictures, or hearts, flowers, what I ate for dinner, selfies, est, etc... wtf??

Facebook is for a different kind of person to who I am.

New Threads

Top Bottom