• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Social Limit

OnEdge

For the past few days i have been doing fairly well with the decision i made in my last post. Work seems more bearable, even some of the parents and teachers seem to be more comfortable around me. Meaning they are actually trying to engage me in conversation rather than ignore me, and i have been reciprocating.

However, about half way through my work day this afternoon it was like a switch was flicked. I lost interest in everything going on around me, felt like i couldnt speak, couldnt focus on anything and i dont even remember if there were any thoughts in my head at that time either. Even though just moments before i was fully aware with everything and engaged in my environment.

So what i think happened is that i reached my social limit, i was done. Seems i can last for
2.5 days in my current situation.

Has anyone else had/felt this before? And if so, what is your social limit?

I know what you're talking about, I get that feeling too where all of a sudden its like a curtain comes down and everything just stops. I too can't focus or think or do much of anything else when that happens.

I can't say how long I can manage before it happens as I've never measured it, but I'm now intrigued

Seems to me that's in the realm of a shutdown. If so, it's just a matter of breaking down what may have precipitated it in the first place.

YES! When we reach that "social limit" you speak of. ;)

Last edited:
I usually walk away, and either go somewhere quiet or find a place with trees and grass and sit for awhile. When do I reach my limit? Depends on the lighting, noise and air quality, it usually happens inside. Too many people, too many smells and sounds, people too close, sometimes I freeze, other times I bolt for the washroom if that's the only refuge I have.

If I'm near water, as in the ocean or a pool or a bathtub or a shower I'll go there. Even washing my hands and face helps, as does drinking a cool glass of water. When I sometimes can't leave a place, if it's an airport for example, I'll head for the bathroom, or fold myself into a quiet corner.

Yeah, that happens frequently and it's nice to be able to walk away or go home. If I can't, it can be a problem. I have a short social limit for being in other people's houses. When I'm at my in laws for 2 days, I'm ok the first part of the first day. I'm chatty with my mother in law, but then after that, I tend to avoid her because she likes to chat. I feel like I'm just so tired and start getting anxious because I just want to go home.

a social limit for me is usually one verbal conversation of various length,i lose my speech, i get extremely fatigued-i either go to bed or neck a load of energy drink and i then avoid situations in where i might speak to someone,ie; not going into the next door part of the care facility,where the main staff office is as it will result in being asked questions, or the other residents here may be in the social area shouting me to come and speak to them,i avoid that almost all the time,one of my mates who lives here thinks shes done something to upset me but ive told her its not and its because im autistic.

I hit my social limit when I'm with a group of people, usually. It's like I suddenly hit a brick wall, and it sort of knocks me out, so that I feel exhausted and can't focus on conversations anymore. I also have a strong urge to leave the room, to get somewhere safer. Interacting in a group has never felt natural or pleasant, so maybe it's just my brain saying "enough! If you go on like this, you'll do yourself some serious damage!" Kind of like tripping a circuit breaker.

Actually, this has given me an idea for a new thread...

I know I have a limit of people I can interact with.
Everyone has sort of a Facebook Page in their head. You have a set number of people who you can interact with day in and day out. For a neurotypical, that's about 400 people. For an aspie, I think it's much less than that. I can only interact with about fifty people day in or day out. (When I say "Interact with day in and day out, I mean, like, if you saw him at the grocery store or whatever, you'd stop and say hi to him.)
Maybe you've just hit your limit of people to interact with. That's okay. Just stop making human relationships.
As a web developer, I only interact with a few people day in and day out. I am satisfied with the amount of human interaction in my life, even if there isn't much.

Going to church is mentally exhausting for me. I teach Sunday school so I have to use my brain to teach and to talk to people. By the time it's over I'm spent. I enjoy talking to everybody but it pushes me to my mental limit.

New Threads

Top Bottom