• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Slow downloads on Xbox One - 38 Mb Fibre

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

I've Googled and asked on the Talk Talk Forum, but not found any results or had any replies to my topic.

I did ask a Talk Talk Engineer last year due to problems, and he basically told me that Talk Talk prioritise downloads on PS4, is this still the case?

I've just spent the majority of the last 2 hours downloading a 43 Gig update to Tekken 7, 2 hours to download a 43 Gig file on a 38 Mb connection? Not acceptable, should've been all done in about 35-40 minutes.

According to this website, the estimate for a 43GB file @ 38Mbps is 2 hours and 42 minutes. YMMV, of course, since that 38Mbps speed may not always be consistent depending on many factors. 35-40 minutes is out of the question at your current speed.

If the download is taking much longer than this - say, a little over twice that figure - try getting in contact with your ISP directly by phone. You can also try out speedtest.net to see if there are any hiccups with your connection.

Last edited:
Just inputting "Talk Talk server downloads slow" in search engines indicates Talk Talk has had problems on this issue for at least the last eleven years with accusations of throttling going back to 2006. I stopped counting at six pages of such links/complaints.

One thing for sure. A provider's ability to attain download speeds can be a very different matter from the ability of a host to facilitate them for a plethora of technical reasons. The simplest perhaps being Talk Talk's server capacity and load balancing is continually outpaced by user demand. Lots of variables in the equation.

All made worse if they are continually unwilling to commit more resources to meeting such demand perpetually involving such high data amounts and over an eleven year period of time.

In essence I don't think they care how long it takes people to download the data they host. Unacceptable or not.

Last edited:
Remember that the speed your Internet provider gives you is not actually the real download/upload speed. The real download speed is the total divided by 8. In your case 38Mb/ 8 =4.75Mb/second download.

If 43GB are aprox 43000Mb, divided by your download speed is around 150minutes, which are 2h and 30min aprox. Remember that any other device conected to yout network (cellphones, other computers, etc) will decrease your speed (like when you're using a shower and someone else opens all the faucets in the kitchen) also if you're downloading using wifi the speed will not be as fast/stable as a wired connection.

Your download speed and time for such a huge file is correct, I don't think there's any problem with it.

Last edited:
Just inputting "Talk Talk server downloads slow" in search engines indicates Talk Talk has had problems on this issue for at least the last eleven years with accusations of throttling going back to 2006. I stopped counting at six pages of such links/complaints.

One thing for sure. A provider's ability to attain download speeds can be a very different matter from the ability of a host to facilitate them for a plethora of technical reasons. The simplest perhaps being Talk Talk's server capacity and load balancing is continually outpaced by user demand. Lots of variables in the equation.

All made worse if they are continually unwilling to commit more resources to meeting such demand perpetually involving such high data amounts and over an eleven year period of time.

In essence I don't think they care how long it takes people to download the data they host. Unacceptable or not.

Well yeah there is that, lots of demand on server speed so that people can game online without bad lag or latency issues, which will happen if your Ping is high.

Well yeah there is that, lots of demand on server speed so that people can game online without bad lag or latency issues, which will happen if your Ping is high.

It's a precarious "juggling act" just to provide nominal bandwidth whether for downloads or real-time play against endless demand. Something inevitably "gives" in the process.

If they allowed the deficit to show up in game play, it would just send away players in droves. But if they contain it to downloading performance, people will continue to play and likely just grouse about downloading times. As they apparently have been for many years... ;)

It's a precarious "juggling act" just to provide nominal bandwidth whether for downloads or real-time play against endless demand. Something inevitably "gives" in the process.

If they allowed the deficit to show up in game play, it would just send away players in droves. But if they contain it to downloading performance, people will continue to play and likely just grouse about downloading times. As they apparently have been for many years... ;)

If the kids think downloading times are bad now, hark back to about 20 years ago when the world and his dog was on a maximum of 56k dial up unless they could afford fast servers.

Back then even a 1 Gig file would've took all day and then some to download never mind a 43 Gig one.

If the kids think downloading times are bad now, hark back to about 20 years ago when the world and his dog was on a maximum of 56k dial up unless they could afford fast servers.

Back then even a 1 Gig file would've took all day and then some to download never mind a 43 Gig one.

56kbps? LOL...try 14.4 kbps!

Tell me about it. I can remember Windows updates and installations that could take well more than six hours to download. And sometimes with some interruption in my connection causing me to repeat the process from scratch.

But personally I don't consider a massive download these days taking a few hours to be necessarily "bad". As long as my connection holds it's just a matter of having patience and little else.

New Threads

Top Bottom