• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sleep Schedule is off by several hours, help to move it back?

VernalSole1355

So I'm in a bit of a pickle with my sleep schedule. Here it is:

First thing is first. I need 10 hours of sleep. Every time I sleep and don't have an alarm set, my body will not let me wake up until I get my 10 hours, unless I need to like use the restroom or have to get up early that day, but then I can't operate fully for a bit. If I eat something however, my body will come online relatively quickly. Otherwise I end up with an hour long lag.

I want my sleep schedule to be from (on average) 10 p.m. to 8 a.m., but right now it's more like 12.a.m. to 10.a.m (on average). Anyone got any ideas of how to shift my sleep schedule around a couple hours to get it to where I want it to be?

That's relative to your metabolism and no others. Only you can solve such a dilemma, provided your metabolism has a viable solution.

For instance, in terms of my own metabolism I'd provide a simple answer. That you can't quickly get back those lost hours. That you must painfully adjust accordingly. Though in my own case my metabolism requires only about 7.5 hours of sleep in comparison and has since I was around your age.

Anyone can weigh in and tell you what works for them. But with no guarantee that it would work for you, especially given your normal requirement for sleep.

Last edited:
This is a brutal way to do it but it usualky works for me.

Pick serveral days when you don't have work or school or anything requireing cognative function.
Stay up round the clock until you reach your target bed time. You will need to eliminate stimulants during this period, so your mind and body will be mush by 10 p.m. the next day.
Set an alarm for 8 a.m. the next day.
Avoid stimulants again and go to bed at 10 p.m.
Add a ritual at 9:30 to help your mind prepare for bed. Have a cup of sleepytime tea with a slice of toast. Taking a warm shower or bath can help you relax. Keep your ritual the same every night at the same time.
It will take time but you should be able to adopt new habits.

Take melatonin at 9pm and by 10pm you should feel drowsy enough to fall asleep. Stay away from electronics in the mean time and get some rest before you sleep. Just sitting in your bed with your eyes closed is much better than getting no rest at all.

New Threads

Top Bottom