• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sleep Paralysis

Spotty01

Wow, this is definitely the wrong place to be asking people about my medical problems, but I'm too much of a wuss to go on any other forum and it's 5am and I'm the only one awake. I'm not asking for diagnoses or anything here, just opinionated responses and maybe some tips and tricks if possible.

Okay, first of all, I woke up a little less than an hour ago after going to bed and falling asleep at a little after 10pm last night. This is the second time, as of late, that I've gone to bed at a decent hour. On both occasions, I woke up with what I can only define as cases of sleep paralysis.

Basically, I wake up, I can see everything around me as clear as day. I can also hear these auditory hallucinations as clear as day, almost like I'm still dreaming, just without the images to accompany it. I can barely open my eyes and, when I do, it's a legit struggle to keep them open. I want to get up or call out and wake someone... but I can't.

I can't move, can't speak, and, for some reason, I'm always filled with intense anxiety and fear during these episodes until I really wake up, in which that feeling subsides. The only remedy I've found to this is just closing my eyes and returning to my slumber again; I'll wake up for real before long, perfectly normal.

I've been diagnosed with insomnia if that's a factor. I've noticed that I only have these episodes when I go to sleep early or, from other folks' perspectives, at a normal time. I've always had problems with not being able to go to sleep and stay that way at night, often awakening in the dead of night at complete random. I've also noticed that these episodes never occur when I go to sleep at 3 or 4am and wake up sometime post-sunrise.

At this point, I'm almost afraid to go to bed early because of these episodes, knowing that if I go to sleep late and wake up even later, it won't happen. Unfortunately, doing that causes rifts between me and my parents (I wouldn't even begin to try and explain this to them; they hardly listen anymore as it is and I barely trust them enough to believe they'd say it's anything but an excuse), not to mention it leaves me tired all day long, I usually wake up late into the afternoon, and it leaves me feeling very, VERY irritable and generally feeling like crap.

At this point, I don't know what to do anymore. Sleep aids make me hallucinate and melatonin causes vivid dreams, one of which was a horrifically gory nightmare triggered by the latter.

Like I said, I know this isn't the place to ask about it and, also like I said, I'm not asking for an official diagnosis or professional advice, I know that I probably won't get it here. It's about 5:30 in the morning so going to the doctor or a psychiatrist is out of the question and this whole situation is bothering the Hell out of me.

Does anyone else go through this? If so, what is it characterized by? Do you have any remedies for the problem? Any other advice? It'll bring me some comfort more than anything else. That is all.

I've have a fiend that has this problem, she used some herbal remedy to fix it or something... I've heard that trying a new sleeping position can help too. But if it's getting that bad then you should go see a doctor, because it could have to do with your insomnia and may need medical help.

i do on occasion have unsettling dreams never had sleep.paralysis probably because i live unbearable stress through the daytime and awake everyday at around 3-4 am you have to see a doctor before something you WOULDNT want to cope with happens wish id tried the psychiatric route 30 years ago ,you have got to make your parents aware of your problem i wish i was better at communication but a combo health problems putting a burden on my autistic mind makes me blotto
sorry
Wow, this is definitely the wrong place to be asking people about my medical problems, but I'm too much of a wuss to go on any other forum and it's 5am and I'm the only one awake. I'm not asking for diagnoses or anything here, just opinionated responses and maybe some tips and tricks if possible.

Okay, first of all, I woke up a little less than an hour ago after going to bed and falling asleep at a little after 10pm last night. This is the second time, as of late, that I've gone to bed at a decent hour. On both occasions, I woke up with what I can only define as cases of sleep paralysis.

Basically, I wake up, I can see everything around me as clear as day. I can also hear these auditory hallucinations as clear as day, almost like I'm still dreaming, just without the images to accompany it. I can barely open my eyes and, when I do, it's a legit struggle to keep them open. I want to get up or call out and wake someone... but I can't.

I can't move, can't speak, and, for some reason, I'm always filled with intense anxiety and fear during these episodes until I really wake up, in which that feeling subsides. The only remedy I've found to this is just closing my eyes and returning to my slumber again; I'll wake up for real before long, perfectly normal.

I've been diagnosed with insomnia if that's a factor. I've noticed that I only have these episodes when I go to sleep early or, from other folks' perspectives, at a normal time. I've always had problems with not being able to go to sleep and stay that way at night, often awakening in the dead of night at complete random. I've also noticed that these episodes never occur when I go to sleep at 3 or 4am and wake up sometime post-sunrise.

At this point, I'm almost afraid to go to bed early because of these episodes, knowing that if I go to sleep late and wake up even later, it won't happen. Unfortunately, doing that causes rifts between me and my parents (I wouldn't even begin to try and explain this to them; they hardly listen anymore as it is and I barely trust them enough to believe they'd say it's anything but an excuse), not to mention it leaves me tired all day long, I usually wake up late into the afternoon, and it leaves me feeling very, VERY irritable and generally feeling like crap.

At this point, I don't know what to do anymore. Sleep aids make me hallucinate and melatonin causes vivid dreams, one of which was a horrifically gory nightmare triggered by the latter.

Like I said, I know this isn't the place to ask about it and, also like I said, I'm not asking for an official diagnosis or professional advice, I know that I probably won't get it here. It's about 5:30 in the morning so going to the doctor or a psychiatrist is out of the question and this whole situation is bothering the Hell out of me.

Does anyone else go through this? If so, what is it characterized by? Do you have any remedies for the problem? Any other advice? It'll bring me some comfort more than anything else. That is all.

i do on occasion have unsettling dreams never had sleep.paralysis probably because i live unbearable stress through the daytime and awake everyday at around 3-4 am you have to see a doctor before something you WOULDNT want to cope with happens wish id tried the psychiatric route 30 years ago ,you have got to make your parents aware of your problem i wish i was better at communication but a combo health problems putting a burden on my autistic mind makes me blotto
sorry
What do you mean by that? :disrelieved:

there are two remedies for insomnia camomile tea (says it helps )
also valerian

In my opinion, what you are experiencing is a dream. A very vivid one (awareness, seeing and hearing), but it explains the inability to move. Likely driven by anxiety about insomnia and the problems it causes with your parents, which explains the feelings.

How awful for you spotty.
Yeah I've had it. I used to get it regular, about 2 times per week from ages 17-20.

It felt like my body was made of marble and was too heavy to move,but could see everything in my room clear as day,I was just stuck there, unable to call out. If I tried really hard I could twitch my little finger a little. I felt very anxious and would see hallucinations. Normally a ghost or murderer at the window. Or a old woman in the corner of the room darting towards me. I had it when I was asleep next to my then boyfriend, I thought the sheets were covered in blood, he was dead and the murderer was still in the room, with a bloody knife pacing up and down.
Ive had life long insomnia, at the time I was having trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep. I was barley sleeping at all actually.
I was severely depressed at the time, as well as suffering with high stress and anxiety. I was drinking alcohol at the weekends, smoked cigarettes and was deeply unhappy in my education, relationships and had problems with family.
As far as I know, cigarettes, caffeine, alcohol, high stress and insomnia are going to increase chances of sleep paralysis.
They probably did with me, because when I quite smoking, drinking and sorted my life out a bit, I stopped getting it.
For me worring about it happening that night increased the chance of it happening. Also I was the opposite because going to bed late increased the likelihood of it happening.
I still have insomnia, having trouble staying asleep and I still get it on a very rare occasion.
Insomnia is probably the main culprit.
I'm no medical expert. But that's what happened to me.

When I was suffering from it, I was in no mind to go to the doctor. But it was awful! Luckily mine sorted out, but please do go to the doctor. It is a genuine condition, it's a big warning sign that your not sleeping properly and your insomnia needs addressed.

In my opinion, what you are experiencing is a dream. A very vivid one (awareness, seeing and hearing), but it explains the inability to move. Likely driven by anxiety about insomnia and the problems it causes with your parents, which explains the feelings.
I thought about that, but this is the second time this exact thing has happened. One thing that I feel completely abolishes that theory is because I still hear the music on the radio. I always sleep with my phone playing a radio station and, during the SP episode, I could hear a commercial playing as clear as day.

The most common response I'm aware of when it comes sleep paralysis and hypnopompic hallucinations is literally that there is no need to treat such a condition, so common to many. Including myself on occasion.

Generally I just laugh it off when I finally come out of it. If you really want to purse an active intent to reduce such conditions, learning to manage your conscious stress may be a key to diminishing sleep paralysis as well as hypnopompic hallucinations.

There are a few sources online, although I can't vouch for how useful they may or may not be. It's not an area that seems to particularly interest the scientific community, which kind of reinforces what I already posted:

The Sleep Paralysis Project | Treatment

Hallucinations During Sleep - American Sleep Association

I'm directing this at Judge kind of, but also the whole thread (that's why I'm not directly replying).

One of the reasons I'm so freaked out by this sleep paralysis is because, late last year, I had something called a "night terror". You may recognize the name, but if you don't, it's essentially the word for waking up screaming and inconsolable. Basically, I got up and ran into the living room screaming like I was being murdered.

I could very much hear it, as well as the desperate, terrified cries of my parents because they had no idea what was going on, but I wasn't really conscious. I was just conscious enough to know that it was happening, but not enough to stop it. It left me in an intense state of anxiety and tipped off my GAD; I even stayed awake for 48 hours straight for fear that it would happen again.

Why am I telling you this? Because these episodes of sleep paralysis remind me of the way I felt (aware, but not really conscious) when I had that night-terror and, every time, I fear that I'll suddenly find myself waking up in the living room after screaming and scaring everyone in the house half to death, including myself.

I'm directing this at Judge kind of, but also the whole thread (that's why I'm not directly replying).

One of the reasons I'm so freaked out by this sleep paralysis is because, late last year, I had something called a "night terror". You may recognize the name, but if you don't, it's essentially the word for waking up screaming and inconsolable. Basically, I got up and ran into the living room screaming like I was being murdered.

I could very much hear it, as well as the desperate, terrified cries of my parents because they had no idea what was going on, but I wasn't really conscious. I was just conscious enough to know that it was happening, but not enough to stop it. It left me in an intense state of anxiety and tipped off my GAD; I even stayed awake for 48 hours straight for fear that it would happen again.

Why am I telling you this? Because these episodes of sleep paralysis remind me of the way I felt (aware, but not really conscious) when I had that night-terror and, every time, I fear that I'll suddenly find myself waking up in the living room after screaming and scaring everyone in the house half to death, including myself.

Well, for a few waking moments it can be quite vivid. I know, I've experienced it. But it is what it is...but only momentarily. Once I consciously realize what happened, I usually just shake my head and chuckle a bit.

It's where your mind and body reaches a point where it seems to be "in between" a conscious and unconscious state. Most disconcerting in real-time where for a moment one may not be able to tell the difference between fantasy and reality. But no matter what transpires in between, you always come out of it unscathed.

For myself, I'm able to recognize the pointlessness of being fearful of fear itself and simply shrug it off.

Your best weapon IMO against such things is your conscious intellect. Beyond that if you feel so compelled for "help", you really should consult a physician who specializes in sleep disorders.

Last edited:
I want you to focus on encouragement...if you are able to be enthusiastic/emotionally encouraged/joygful during these incidents... then I believe that they wont occur... there is a link between the emptiness of the emotion and these episodes... if you do not become void of emotion in the moment leading to it...it cannot occur...

I've never had sleep paralysis, but I used to get weird episodes that may or may not have even night terrors.

They happened only when I was falling asleep, or waking up, but was still conscious.

I'd feel like I was being rejected by the universe and every atom in my body felt like it didn't fit here. It kind of felt like every atom had a needle stuck in it, with electricity going through it, and it would start small and build up for what seemed like hours, and it would very frightening.

Imagine your soul coming back into your body in the morning, and being rejected by the universe, and being stuck in you body as a kind of ball of black discomfort.

That's only a glimpse, as words cannot describe the experience at all, it was so wierd.

They often had dreams or hallucinations come in towards the end, especially as a child, like my mum coming in to comfort me and her head splitting open to reveal a monster disguised as my mum.

I used to get them regularly as a child and teenager, then they diminished as an adult in both regularity and intensity. I maybe had 5 in my thirties, and a couple in my forties.

What I found helped was to not fight them. The experience is going to play out no matter what, and the fear and clenching up as I tried to push it away is partly what made them so bad.

I don't know if you can try the same thing?

The last few times I had them I relaxed, and went with it, accepting and not fighting, which was hard to do, but really helped.

New Threads

Top Bottom