• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Situation In having girls as friends who have boyfreinds

Dillon

i have some girls (not many cause a lot hate me for unknown reasons) who are really good friends of mine but I find it in my mind I should not be talking to them at all anymore, why cause everyone of them tells me they have a boyfriend. Now when I hear that I try to be respectful and to give her some space. I’ve never had a girlfriend so I kind of don’t know what that is like but is it wrong to still be friends with a girl even though she has a boyfriend? I just feel weirded out by it and not know how much to explain it.
The thing that aggervates me is when one of the girls who is a good friend of mine says she will always be there when I need something or what not but yet she talks about her boyfriend and always hangs with him. So my question is should I not hang around the women who have boyfriends?
The thing that makes me upset sometimes is when I see everyone have each other which kind of aggravates me as well. I could care less but for some reason I just get emotional by it knowing I’ve never had a relationship. The whole thing is just confusing to me.

Last edited:
Hello! I'm a non-autist here (by my own simple guess).

I know there is a tendency for lovers to stick with their significant others, especially in the first stages where it's just butterflies and puppy love, for me, it grew, so I used to neglect my male friends especially, and I'd also feel a strong defending feeling if confronted about it, or weird if I'd talk to guys or get attached to other guys because it felt like betrayal to my one true love.

From what I researched, this behaviour is very easy to fall into and it's not quite healthy in a long term, you have to juggle between boyfriend and friends, because you have needs that a boyfriend cant fulfill because he is different, which can weaken the relationship and cause those needs to be seeked for somewhere else which makes it a favorable environment for cheating. Couples need some distance so they can get together and get those euphoria feelings as well as catch up and have things to talk about, so its exciting and boredom doesn't set in, leading to distancing of the couple.

There are clingy and needy couples/people which just spend a lot of time together and fear separation a lot, even just a little time, it's a great distress for them.

Humans get attached and urge to be close and undisturbed while theyre having their good time fulfilling their needs with their partner which can get addicting.

There’s no reason you should stop being friends with girls who are in a relationship, unless you’re trying to make a move on one of those girls. But relationships don’t outlaw platonic friendship.
As for people saying they’re there for you when you need them (while you’re seeing a lot less of them): it means they aknowledge they’re not around as much, but they still care about you. It means you should reach out to them if you need support and they’ll be there to support you.

This is hard for me as well, because I really don't understand the lines between platonic friend and girlfriend. I've not had romantic feelings for someone. I've deeply cared for a lot of people, wanted to disclose everything I could to them and hope they felt the same way toward me, but never a romantic feeling of wanting to commit and spend the rest of my life with them. That kinda makes it hard to connect with a lot of people, and doubly hard for people who I have an attraction to.

I did have a girlfriend, and the reason it worked was because we both had similar feelings and chose to leave everything open. Cheating wasn't really in our vocabulary, unless it was done with some malicious intent. Indeed we became pretty comfortable talking to each other about people we found interesting or attractive. There was never a fear of being replaced, and I think that played a large part in making it work.

A couple years ago she moved 12 hours away for reasons that I won't go into now, but we still are very close. She has had another boyfriend since, and has told me about him. We even talked about some of the weird qwerky stuff her and I used to do, and I would ask if he had taken to any of that. We had this conversation as though we were chilling at McDonalds. She even asked if I wanted to meet him, again like we were inviting a family friend. I initially wanted to, until I learned that him and I disagreed on a lot of things. That was pretty much the only reason though. The conversation felt so weird, but I wouldn't have wanted it any other way, and until that point I only imagined such things in a fantasy world. To this day I don't know why she shares my way of looking at our relationship, but it's something she's admitted to struggling with after she moved. A lot of people just don't get tthat way of thinking it seems. i'll probably not understand it, but I accept the fact that I'm the odd one out.

Meeting a girl with a boyfriend, when you don't know either of them too well, can be hard especially if you find the girl attractive. Just the other day I saw a girl friend who wanted to introduce me to her boyfriend. Even though her and I are platonic, we do have some close contact (handholding, head pats, sometimes a hug when we leave), and so I was afraid she wouldn't let this continue when her boyfriend was around. She did, but I felt so awkward. Her boyfriend was quiet, so I had no clue what he thought of our antics. He seemed cool, but too quiet to tell what was on his mind. I don't know how traditional her views are on commitment and relationships and the like, and that's a really awkward position to be in, and an even more awkward conversation to have. I'm attracted to her, but not as much as I was to the girl I talked about earlier. So I really have no desire to pull her away from her boyfriend. All the same I am attracted to her enough to seek contact more often than I do most people. Now if she, against all my expectations, told me she wanted to start a relationship with me, I'd not be opposed to it but I really have no idea how it would go. I don't expect that to happen though, nor am I prepared for it and so I won't be the one to bring it up. I'd be better off with someone who I've not yet met.

The way I see it, there's no real right way to handle such a situation because people and their views are so wide ranging and impossible to predict. If you approach a girl and she has a boyfriend, I wouldn't be afraid. Maybe a little cautious if you don't know what to expect, but if you're afraid or nervous, things won't ever go right. The best thing you can do is try to scope the situation adequately before deciding how you feel. If you feel attraction, either stay away or just be really careful.. I'm not sure if you and I have similar struggles, but I hope maybe this has helped a little. It's not much, but it's all I got.

It took me some time to feel comfortable having friends being in a relationship with someone as well. Although it never was a natural feeling for me. I always just thought, "Hey they are kool to talk to and hang out with, why should it stop? we are not doing anything that is hurting anyone..." but usually the issues for me personally was because of the people I was in relationships with over the years. Male or Female, they were insecure and didn't trust me or my friends to just be friends. I had a lot of emotional abuse caused by significant others because of this, and because I had a traumatic childhood and young adulthood I was easily controlled and influenced at the time and I lost all of my good friends and gained toxic partners.

It took me some time to get through and over these experiences and lessons but after some years being single I really grew into my own being and my confidence had flourished. I am more sure of myself and I acknowledge how intelligent and good of a person I am. Because of this, I found someone who continues to support my growth and I am allowed the room to be who I am. My current partner, although may get jealous at times, never tells me who I can/cannot talk to or hang out with. He trusts that I will continue in being the honest and loving person I am and because of this I feel whole. I do not think anyone should control anyone in any way. People should be allowed to connect with other people if there is no harm done. For example... any form of abuse shouldn't be tolerated of course but naturally most people worry about cheating, so do not do that... Trust, Honesty and Communication are the big factors here... Just going out for tea and chatting for a couple of hours... whats so bad about that?...

I'm in a relationship with a male and I hung out with a male friend on Saturday and we went for a walk and to the store, just us two. We then went back to my house where we hung out for a bit with my partner as well when he had got off of work, it was really fun and nice. I tell my partners just about everything. Some might say I may even be too honest but I know my current partner really appreciates it, even if it's hard for him to hear sometimes. This ultimately has helped make the trust between us stronger and has created a very close and open heart relationship between us.

I hope you find a space comfortable enough for you to be ok with making friends of all kinds of people, regardless of them being in a relationship or not. Being a respectful human and making friends who are secure in who they are and in their relationships should help.

Last edited:
There are 2 young women in particular who I know and have always liked, my female 21 year old carer Cara, she's hot and gorgeous, but I respect the boundaries, because even if I knew her under different circumstances and she was single I'd still be loads too old for her... Also I have a friend on Facebook called Diane, known her for years as she was in my class at school in the early 80's, and I liked her even back then but she's married with a little girl now.

I have a male friend and it was a little difficult for him when I first started dating my SO (I was pretty much his only friend at the time) but we have stayed friends and he gets a hug every once-in awhile. We all hang out together sometimes and my SO and the friend "discuss" politics till they drive each other pretty much crazy (and everyone else in the room).

What is more difficult is having that friend date my sister. That is what makes the friendship difficult. I use to be able to complain about family to him and now I can't. :(

You know that’s the thing I always want to be respectful of people. Some of the women my age will give me hugs but I find it complicated with me since they have boyfriends almost to the point I feel like it’s not ok and I feel like I’m in the middle of things at times. It almost feels like as if I’m a third wheel of things when it becomes between the girl that is my friend who is obsessed with the guy she likes. I don’t know if this makes any sense but it gets to where I get upset about it at times to the point if or when I should hang out with that friend. I got to where I would have a girl talk to me first cause I’ve been called a burden before by a girl actually since she deemed me as too werid to talk which I can care less anyway. I just left it as that have someone else speak and gain interest in me first so I won’t say anything and look like a fool at times.

Last edited:
Some people are just a bit more physical when it comes to expressing affection, even if platonic. It’s okay to feel uncomfortable with this, but you shouldn’t feel guilty over it. I hug my friends and kiss them on the cheek. Some get a kiss on the lips. In my social circles, this is normal behavior and not sexual at all. Seen through a stranger’s eyes, this might seem entirely different. It really depends on where you’re coming from.

I would LOVE to be close friends with people I have crushes on. They are almost always in a relationship, married, or a different sexuality. Yet, because they have someone it's really hard for me to even be friends with them.

So, personally I see nothing wrong with being friends with your crush as long as you don't try to take them away from their relationship.

All my girlfriends were effectively good friends before moving on to something more intense. With one consideration. None of them except one had significant others at the time. Not a coincidence, at least on my part.

I learned early in life (long before discovering my own autism) that "complicated" relationships of much of any kind weren't for me. And for those who pride themselves on being "high-maintenance", well....I'd simply avoid them altogether.

Do you feel the same way about male friends who have girlfriends? Because there is really no difference. People in relationships can have close friends of either gender, same as people who aren't in relationships, there is nothing unusual or inappropriate about it. Just think how awful it would be for them to suddenly be isolated from their friends just because they have entered a romantic relationship, they would be lonely and it would put too much pressure on the romantic relationship to meet all of their social needs, that would be healthy at all!

Some people are just a bit more physical when it comes to expressing affection, even if platonic. It’s okay to feel uncomfortable with this, but you shouldn’t feel guilty over it.
Yep I agree with this, I hug some of my friends, it doesn't matter whether they are in a relationship or not, as it is completely platonic. The only thing that matters is that we are both comfortable with hugging. If you are not comfortable with it then say so, but there's no need to feel guilty.

It seems to me that you seem to be taking too much responsibility for the situation... there is no need to feel guilty or uncomfortable for having a normal friendship. These women have chosen to be friends with you. They are capable of deciding whether their relationship with you is appropriate in the context of their relationship with their boyfriend, there is no need for you to second guess their actions.

Do you feel the same way about male friends who have girlfriends? Because there is really no difference. People in relationships can have close friends of either gender, same as people who aren't in relationships, there is nothing unusual or inappropriate about it. Just think how awful it would be for them to suddenly be isolated from their friends just because they have entered a romantic relationship, they would be lonely and it would put too much pressure on the romantic relationship to meet all of their social needs, that would be healthy at all!.

Yes I agree with this. I am bisexual. If I couldn't be with people I could potentially be with then I'd have no friends.

Unpopular comment inbound, Yahoo!

Proceed with caution...
Use your best judgement.
If one of those girls is fighting with her boyfriend and y'all get together for a night of drinks or just hanging out sober. That could turn bad real quick. (Alcohol+/- -> emotional gf -> calls her bf where she may or may not lie to him about you to make him jealous during their fight-> next thing you know he shows up at your house / her house and it's time for you to fight)

On the other hand. If y'all have been friends for a while and hung out in a group or something and got to know their bf's you could probably be able to judge better which women and their bf's would be trouble or not.

Anyway your feelings of being weirded out by it are well placed. Alot of people i know believe guys shouldn't hang out with girls if they already have a gf and vice versa. For good reason. Alot of people like to fantasize and think there wouldn't be any problem but i've seen hundreds of times... relationships ruined because of this. "Oh, we're just friends!" Behind the scenes cheating. Or... it was just a "moment of weakness" then they'll lie to cover it up. Hell, even i'm guilty when it comes to this. Platonic female friend fights with her bf then manipulates me into some things, seduces me and ya. Anyway moving on.

All it takes is a little fight. maybe some alcohol or none at all. and option 2 is right there. Available. I believe if someone is in a relationship they shouldn't put themselves in situations that would ruin it. Problem is since most can't even comprehend the common causes and effects it's usually understood as NOT putting themselves in those types of situations.

Bottom line. I've seen so many supposed platonic friendships while people were dating. A large majority of them lead to the bed. or have already been there on and off. I couldn't count how many times i've heard "Ya, but he/she thinks we're just friends so it's cool".

Proceed with caution. Dating world is filled with cheaters and liars.

Last edited:
Unpopular comment inbound, Yahoo!

Proceed with caution...
Use your best judgement.
If one of those girls is fighting with her boyfriend and y'all get together for a night of drinks or just hanging out sober. That could turn bad real quick. (Alcohol+/- -> emotional gf -> calls her bf where she may or may not lie to him about you to make him jealous during their fight-> next thing you know he shows up at your house / her house and it's time for you to fight)

On the other hand. If y'all have been friends for a while and hung out in a group or something and got to know their bf's you could probably be able to judge better which women and their bf's would be trouble or not.

Anyway your feelings of being weirded out by it are well placed. Alot of people i know believe guys shouldn't hang out with girls if they already have a gf and vice versa. For good reason. Alot of people like to fantasize and think there wouldn't be any problem but i've seen hundreds of times... relationships ruined because of this. "Oh, we're just friends!" Behind the scenes cheating. Or... it was just a "moment of weakness" then they'll lie to cover it up. Hell, even i'm guilty when it comes to this. Platonic female friend fights with her bf then manipulates me into some things, seduces me and ya. Anyway moving on.

All it takes is a little fight. maybe some alcohol or none at all. and option 2 is right there. Available. I believe if someone is in a relationship they shouldn't put themselves in situations that would ruin it. Problem is since most can't even comprehend the common causes and effects it's usually understood as NOT putting themselves in those types of situations.

Bottom line. I've seen so many supposed platonic friendships while people were dating. A large majority of them lead to the bed. or have already been there on and off. I couldn't count how many times i've heard "Ya, but he/she thinks we're just friends so it's cool".

Proceed with caution. Dating world is filled with cheaters and liars.
I agree with what you said and that’s the thing I do worry, choosing who to actually talk to where there won’t be any sort of conflict since that seems to happens with me at times.

In all honesty I just wait for someone to gain interest in me instead of me going after the person myself. Yes I’ve had a couple girls like but it’s either the girls have no interest or are just plain jerks which I never understand why?? If I just do my own thing and not worry about anything else then good things will happen. Yes I want to someday have a relationship with a woman but I’m really in no rush I’ll just wait for it instead of me trying to chase after it. As I say sometimes just let me be me.

Them being jerks... maybe where you meet them is a factor? In my early 20's used dating sites and met some girls at the bar or at parties. With dating sites they're often the bottom of the barrel so to speak. Gorgeous, sure... but terrible personalities, loose, no real hobbies or interests and 0 morals / values.
If you have the social skills and are not apprehensive about trying new things maybe you could join some sort of a club in your city of one of your special interests. It may attract better women into your life. A better fit.

"Friends" can mean booty call in this day and age. If a girl ever tells you a half truth, like "we hung out and just kissed", that means she bonked him. Women in one proximity all want "the one guy". The guy who looks vaguely like Justin Timberlake. He will have all the sex while everybody else will hate life and it is only because he looks slightly like Justin Timberlake...That's as deep as attraction goes. Either that or she will stick an Asian guy or an African American guy next to her like a stage prop. It's all about her image. Always.
It's okay to be friends with her unless she calls you crying about her relationship or even worse, asks you to do something for her.

"Friends" can mean booty call in this day and age. If a girl ever tells you a half truth, like "we hung out and just kissed", that means she bonked him. Women in one proximity all want "the one guy". The guy who looks vaguely like Justin Timberlake. He will have all the sex while everybody else will hate life and it is only because he looks slightly like Justin Timberlake...That's as deep as attraction goes. Either that or she will stick an Asian guy or an African American guy next to her like a stage prop. It's all about her image. Always.
It's okay to be friends with her unless she calls you crying about her relationship or even worse, asks you to do something for her.
This sounds like your describing the actions of a wild animal on a nature show... *reads in David Attenborough's voice* "The human female will often use males as a prop to increase their own status, pretending interest in a potential mate while secretly seeking out a more desirable male. Here you can see females chasing after the most desirable male member of the tribe, know as The Justin. All other males are judged by how closely they resemble him. Appearance and status are the only things of importance amongst human females, and they will often lie in order to manipulate males.":tearsofjoy::rolleyes:

This has been my experience, my little brothers experience, my dads experience etc etc. Maybe it's just this generation or something?

New Threads

Top Bottom