• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Silent Hill

This is one of those series where I've never actually gotten the chance to play them (I dont have the consoles they are on).

I have, however, played about a bazillion squillion horror games that were heavily inspired by it (indie devs are REALLY fond of that, it seems).

Based on that, yeah, I can see what everyone loves about it.

And the visual style and monster designs... yeah all that stuff is right up my alley.

The mirror scene in the third game or the random payphone in the empty room, are two highlights for me.

Of course, everybody talks about Pyramid Head.

I don’t have the appropriate consoles, so I find walkthrough videos without commentary on Youtube, basically turning it into a movie instead of a game.

I’m a sucker for monsters. Scarlet in Homecoming actually gives me chills (though that probably is more ASMR from the music than anything else).

If we’re going for comedy, there’s also this…

I thought Homecoming had a good story. I just thought the gameplay was too solid...

I remember a part where you entered an old hotel, and you had to find postcards for a woman, so she would provide you with a key. You can tell she's meant to be a ghost. But to find them, you have to traverse rooms with nurses that are harder than those from the previous titles, and also these giant insects invade the area as well.

The combat was atrocious. For this reason, it's probably my least favourite entry. There's also a part where you have to go through the sewers with a companion, but there's locked gates you have to ascend with valve handles. But you get chased by insects and it's easy to get lost, and constantly face more of them. They're not easy to kill, and you have to use less guns because ammo in that game seemed a lot more few and far between.

I think Downpour has a good story, but the game is overall pretty lacking in enemy variety, and the only boss is found at the end, in the prison. But again, the story wasn't too bad in general. It just felt a bit lacking otherwise.

They do give you side objectives, but they are just extra things you can do to gain better weapons, which I don't think is really a necessity. It's not something they force you to do.

SH2 videotape scene. Resonates with me since my first play.

It shows psychological depth and that the whole story is about James' head and how he descends into madness.

Yep. That's a memorable scene. :)

I happened to see more hearsay online recently about how a new game could appear at Tokyo Game Show in September. But they've honestly had so many stories coming and going over the last few years, that it's hard to feel interested anymore. :(

Plus, a lot of the rumours originated from Dusk Golem, who is a well known survival horror gaming related "leaker" on Twitter, who had been right about some stuff in the past. So it's not like he's not 100% to be discredited here...

I hope the rumored new Silent Hill game won't be a flop. I've seen somewhere that Bloober Team is working on it? I don't get why those guys get a lot of hate... People don't like "walking simulators" apparently. But I do enjoy Layers of Fear to this day and their more psychological look on this genre.

Capcom managed to revive the Resident Evil series in a refreshed version after a rather-meh RE6. Eager to see if SH will do it too. Tbh the concept art looks like it straight from the engine RE7 and RE8 is running on.

8m7snhatp5z81.jpg

I only played the first one... (maybe the second.) That was many years ago. Nice alternative to RE at the time.

New Threads

Top Bottom