• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Showing compassion

Cogs Of My Cranium

I don't think there's a day that goes by without me reading or watching something about aspergers. These things are either by people who have it or by professionals/relative etc. I often think about the compassion of the people who produce such media often with nothing in return. Sometimes I worry that even though I want to help others and show empathy/compassion etc. that this simply doesn't show as these things have to 'get over' the negative inner 'shell' of myself. It has to make its way through this inner fog of negativity and I wonder about its power once I've managed to form it into real information/communication.

I wonder if the people who create such content go though the same thing or they simply just 'do it'. If they do just do it is it that they have to switch off certain thought processes to reduce self criticism? Also once the stuff has been made I wonder how they keep it out there and not resist the urge to remove it due to self criticism or criticism by others e.g. A YouTube video.

It's been my observation that almost everyone I've gotten to know even a little bit has an inner judge. The allistic-minded suffer too, but their attorneys are top-flight, while the autistic folks either represent themselves or have lousy public defenders.

Put another way: I think that anyone with a self-esteem problem deals with an inner critic. Aspies are more likely to have self-esteem problems because we spend so much time getting told there's something wrong with us, usually with incivil labels such as "nerd, weird, 'doesn't fit,' crazy, disorganized," etc.

New Threads

Top Bottom