• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should I bet on the Grand National?

Should I bet on the Grand National?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Other comment (keep it clean please, anything offensive will get reported)

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

Last year 6 Horses died in the event, but for the last few years I've put a bet on, very small stakes, and at least broke even on my bets.

Morally though, I don't think Horse racing is right, and the National is the only time I ever have a punt.

Given the high risk of fatality amongst the Horses though, should I have a punt this year? I think the event's next weekend.

you are a moral thinker so i dont think you should put money on it, but you could do what my mum does,and read the newspapers listing of all the horses and pick a horse without putting money on,yes if your favourite wins you dont get anything but at least you havent won blood money.

i dont agree with horce racing it pushes horses beyond their limit,it makes me upset to hear when a horse is injured or falls at a jump,and whipped like mad,i am from a horse background-dressage and jumping and i never whipped my horses-you can use seat aids instead;thats your own body telling the horse what to doi was taught this as i was often paralysed in my legs because of todds paralysis after daily seizures or from sensory overlad while driving to the stables.
whips are very frightening for horses,and during racing they are beaten with them.

if people want to bet on the grand national,i wouldnt stop them as its not illegal and its their choice but for me,or anyone thinking ethically its a bad choice in my view.

I can only say that on occasion I've mulled over whether or not to invest in something I find personally distasteful for whatever reasons. The answer was always the same.

-NO.

Found a disturbing website over this issue though.

Race Horse Death Watch

Last edited:
Personally I'd say no. Not only do many horses die in horse racing, I don't really see the point in betting on stuff. I'm not a big gambler in any sense, I don't like the risk.

I've only been to the races twice many years ago, but quite enjoyed it with a friend from college. Got a chance to become familiar with the racing form and managed to leisurely pick a few winners. Without having bet a dime. It was a good day.

The second time I went to the track I went primarily to take pictures for my photo class. But in either outing I never witnessed any of the horses getting injured. Tragic to see such a high rate of injuries of the most recent races across the globe.

you are a moral thinker so i dont think you should put money on it, but you could do what my mum does,and read the newspapers listing of all the horses and pick a horse without putting money on,yes if your favourite wins you dont get anything but at least you havent won blood money.

i dont agree with horce racing it pushes horses beyond their limit,it makes me upset to hear when a horse is injured or falls at a jump,and whipped like mad,i am from a horse background-dressage and jumping and i never whipped my horses-you can use seat aids instead;thats your own body telling the horse what to doi was taught this as i was often paralysed in my legs because of todds paralysis after daily seizures or from sensory overlad while driving to the stables.
whips are very frightening for horses,and during racing they are beaten with them.

if people want to bet on the grand national,i wouldnt stop them as its not illegal and its their choice but for me,or anyone thinking ethically its a bad choice in my view.

You know another nasty thing that they do to race horses is, is when they train the horses to come out of the starting gate the instant the gate opens. They will use electric cattle prods inserted into the rectum and the instant the gate opens. They give the horse a nasty electric shock. This is to mentally condition then so when race day comes. The start running the instant that gate opens.

There have been cases in where they have accidently shocked the horse then the gate was close and have had the horse injure itself from running into the gate.

Last edited:
Well I had a punt, £1.50 each way on Total Recall and The Last Samurai, neither horse was in the top 5, so I probably haven't won anything, the winner of the 17.15 at Aintree was, well it wasn't a horse in my list sadly.

I can't answer the question as to whether you should bet on the Grand National or not, because that's for you to decide and not me. Personally, I have never bet on races, not will I ever, for many reasons - I just don't want to support the industry in any way.

New Threads

Top Bottom