• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should Autistic people be eligible for disabled parking spaces?

Should Autistic people be eligible for disabled parking spaces?

• Yes

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Depends

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It's interesting how the comments on the poll you posted are only from parents with autistic children who want to be eligible for parking in a handicap spot. So in that case, the question would be whether parents of autistic children would be allowed to use a handicap spot.

As for people on the spectrum being eligible to use a spot themselves: I don't think you should be eligible automatically. Being on the spectrum doesn't automatically make you entitled to things. In my opinion, if you want to award parking spots to people on the spectrum at all, it should be judged on a case-by-case basis. It would probably come down to what comorbidities people have as well. For me, personally, a handicap spot would be ridiculous. I think it would be ridiculous for most people on the spectrum without mobility-impairing comorbidities. But for some, it might be the right call.

Only if they have an additional physical/mobility disability. Autism isn't in itself a physical/mobility disability. If one has a drivers license, then presumably one is fit to drive. If a person has severe anxiety or sensory processing issues which affect their driving, then they probably wouldn't be driving in the first place.

IMO I should be eligible for a blue badge, my carers have been saying this for years, the ones that drive anyway, as I have limited mobility and can't walk very far without severe back pain.

To be fair this condition has improved somewhat since I've lost weight, but I do still get back pain when walking a long way.

Yeah, it depends. It it was for me then I would be in two minds, I now have a car and I've been able to park just fine. However I have in the past been anxious about this situation, worrying about where I might park if I can't find a space. So it is troubling.

If I needed a handicapped placard solely for the challenges caused by autism, then I would probably do the world a favor and not drive in the first place. I just don't see how I would make it out of my driveway at home.

It's interesting how the comments on the poll you posted are only from parents with autistic children who want to be eligible for parking in a handicap spot. So in that case, the question would be whether parents of autistic children would be allowed to use a handicap spot.

As for people on the spectrum being eligible to use a spot themselves: I don't think you should be eligible automatically. Being on the spectrum doesn't automatically make you entitled to things. In my opinion, if you want to award parking spots to people on the spectrum at all, it should be judged on a case-by-case basis. It would probably come down to what comorbidities people have as well. For me, personally, a handicap spot would be ridiculous. I think it would be ridiculous for most people on the spectrum without mobility-impairing comorbidities. But for some, it might be the right call.
Off topic: The word "comorbidities" is used quite a bit in relation to ASD. I think that word is so [shudder]... morbid.:confused: I vote for replacing it with "additional challenges."

That's an easy "depends". If you have mobility problems that are separate and have nothing to do with autism, for example, then you could be eligible for it, but otherwise I don't see it happening on the sole basis of autism alone.

In your case, based on the info you've given here it might be worth while to pursue it. In my case, after driving through Dallas yesterday and surviving I would definitely be ineligible :eek:

Last edited:
because autism is a spectrum in the UK some councils give blue badges to autistic people but not every council .
autism can be considered life-threatening if you cannot understand traffic for instance .

If you get PIP you can get a blue badge
I have no physical mobility problems, but unfortunetly facing multiple mental health issues :(
Im eligeable for a blue badge

I'd say 'depends' is the easy choice here... but mostly that 'maybe' is reserved for the parents/caretakers of those on the spectrum. Some people with Autism/Aspergers may honestly need it, but
I can't think of anything that is tied directly to being on the spectrum that would also (in such an extreme state) not limit the person from driving at all.

For instance, I bike or walk most everywhere as I live in the middle of town. Being on the spectrum does nothing to limit my mobility at all. It would be a waste for me to have a blue badge when I do drive, just to have it tempt me into possibly using a spot that I don't actually need.

I think that, like most things, it should be a case-by-case basis and not just a hand out for people on the spectrum. It isn't fair to those with genuine mobility (or other) issues who might desperately need to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible to minimize pain, damage, etc.

New Threads

Top Bottom