• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

“Sesame Street” Premieres

Nitro

Admin/Immoral Turpitude
Staff member
Admin
V.I.P Member
KsZQQm_nNHfE16mIrTTCgH3IYA6eH2DyESydJsARp4OeSaDsmVtR8LTkq0jNFTfigqAZe18LlQCK0lJzmgyrGDZRosH_-a4lJvXkd7_EjezEkPnNQIvFSMhcIA=s0-d-e1-ft
November 10, 1969
Millions of children have learned how to get to “Sesame Street” since the beloved series premiered exactly 52 years ago. Documentary producer Joan Ganz Cooney and experimental psychologist Lloyd Morrisett formed the Children’s Television Workshop in 1968. Now renamed Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit began producing “Sesame Street” to ready young children — especially from underprivileged backgrounds — for kindergarten. First filmed at Manhattan’s Teletape Studios for National Educational Television — a precursor to PBS — the show brought together actors, animation, celebrity cameos, and personable puppets, many built by Jim Henson’s Creature Shop.

Episode one followed Gordon (Matt Robinson), a teacher introducing his young new neighbor to the characters inhabiting their block. Viewers met handmade puppets Big Bird (voiced by Caroll Spinney), Bert (voiced by Frank Oz), Ernie (voiced by Henson), and Kermit the Frog (Henson), plus a then-unnamed Cookie Monster (Oz), and an orange Oscar the Grouch (Spinney). Grover, Count von Count, Elmo, and Snuffleupagus — Big Bird’s onetime imaginary friend — joined the cast over the next 17 seasons. Later Muppet additions included Rosita, who is bilingual; Julia, who has autism; and Karli, who is in foster care. More than 30 international versions of “Sesame Street” have debuted since, and the American original has won 209 Emmy Awards.

I remember that when I was the targeted age for Sesame Street, it was a bit of an odd time for the show. Elmo existed and was starting to be used in some episodes and merchandise yet I can’t recall ever seeing him on the show. Same with Prairie Dawn which I had no idea who she was when these stickers of Sesame Street characters on them and I was super confused why it looked like Betty Lou was there twice wearing different clothes when none of the other characters did the same.

I was too old for Sesame Street, yet for quite a while I took delight in the imaginative, off kilter, humor. Then, the enjoyable Muppet Show, began at a very low time in my life. It was frequently the only bright spot in my Friday nights.

Last edited:
I was the target audience for Sesame Street when it premiered. I watched the show every day before Kindergarten and was far ahead in counting, shapes, colors and knew some Spanish words and a load of songs. Most of my classmates did not watch Sesame Street.

Believe it or not it was actually a contraversial show when it debuted because of the mixed race cast. Many of my class mates parents were still deeply intrenched in the ideas of social divide and the inferiority of "different races".
I entered Kindergarten in 1972.

My best friend in Kindergarten was named Theo. He was the only black student in our whole elementary school. The teacher actually asked our parents if we were allowed to play together!

I credit Sesame Street for subtely poking reticent parents through teaching their children inclusivity, that the kids then used in frontal assault to question their parent behaviors and attitudes.

It was The Count and Oscar the Grouch that did it for me.

It was amusing to be asked "Will you stop that?!" after repeatedly walking around chanting, in accent,
" One ! ah, ah, ah, arrrgh.
Two! ah, ah, ah, arrrgh...
and so on, up to ten.
repeatedly.
for no other reason than I could :)

There is a song from Sesame Street that I've had stuck in my head over and over again since about 1983. It's kind of a funky song that goes "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12!" I think it's played as a ball bounces around a pinball machine. Does anyone remember that one? Kids used to sing it on the playground. It was on Sesame Street episodes for several years.

I still sing that whenever anyone starts counting something... Which happened about a week ago, when my wife was counting some beads out loud.
She didn't appreciate the singing, cause she lost count and had to start again. ;)

There is a song from Sesame Street that I've had stuck in my head over and over again since about 1983. It's kind of a funky song that goes "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12!" I think it's played as a ball bounces around a pinball machine. Does anyone remember that one? Kids used to sing it on the playground. It was on Sesame Street episodes for several years.
That would be Pinball Number Count which was performed by the Pointer Sisters. I heard that it was turned into a club dance remix and was popular a few years ago. Sesame Street used to do covers of songs on the radio and pop standards without changing the lyrics. One of my favorites that I’ve found on YouTube is Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds where this little Anymuppet girl is singing the verses and then the set is crashed by a group of loud hippies who sing the chorus. At the end of the song, the girl looks up and says, “Hey! That’s not Lucy in the sky! It’s Wanda the Witch.” And one of the hippies asks “Who?” And the girl replies, “Wanda.The Witch.”

yeppppppppppppppppppppp sesame street is the best best best best best best show ever i still watch it it makes me happy

I wish I could find a woman I could stay up all night with watch sesame street with. A woman who would jsut want to chill out and eat popcorn, while watching muppets. A woman that adores and worships the genius of Jim Henson like I do.

I was fooling around on YouTube and I came across this scene from Sesame Street that I remember seeing when I was little (I had to be 2 at the time). Am I the only one who finds this disturbing? Is this not stealing?

I'm nearly 60 years old and Swedish Chef still comes out of my mouth when I'm adding ingredients to a pot:

Splooshdy Burble.

I'm nearly 60 years old and Swedish Chef still comes out of my mouth when I'm adding ingredients to a pot:

Splooshdy Burble.
I was entranced by the Muppet Show, until one too many Friday nights watching it instead of getting out and enjoying myself. I was living independently and wanted to be happy, competent, interesting, and a good companion. I've worked at it.

When I bring in the trike to put on the trainer this winter, I will watch episodes at least 4 times a week.

New Threads

Top Bottom