• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensory issues?

Crysalis99

Long time no talk; I know it has been AGES since I have posted on here in regards to either myself or my children.

So spring boarding off my intro-post from Feb. my divorce is still pending and still in the middle of getting my children assessed for their neurodivergence. I still have my kids most of the time. My daughter still needs to have the ADOS-2 assessment completed for the formal autism diagnosis. But between the interventions looking to be used with my daughter, I am still 99% certain she is on the spectrum (and have only continued to be "all in" on my own spectrum/aspbergers traits. My son, I feel you could flip a coin in regards to being on the spectrum but he is in the very least ADHD - Hyperactive). While in school last year, I was able to get as many educational services in place and have garnered a very close working relationship with the school to help address the negative behaviors within the school day. But I have managed to set her up with outpatient occupational therapy. And this is the area my question/concern possibly lies.

o my daughter struggles wearing underwear and thusly will "rub" herself. Weve gone the pediatrician route, and aware of various skin issues and what not but she continues to do it. It isn't done for physical gratification which leads me to think this is sensory related due to the underwear issue. Anyone have any tips or pointers on how to curb this behavior?

So like many autistic kids, that "brain - gut" connection is definitely an issue with my daughter and her constant stomach and constipation issues. I have her on a capful of Miramax/day under pediatrician guidance. And while she has that consistent regime to help her bowel movements, life sometimes get in the way and she will really struggle to go to the bathroom if she even misses one dose. And it becomes an "entire ordeal" with anxiety and pain and screaming. Like poor girl, she can really really struggle to go. Obviously the easiest solution is to stay consist with that Miralax. But has anyone got any tips/anything to help normalize the pain and just the "crumminess" of pooping? I mean I have basically told her everyone does it and sometimes it hurts for everyone, but she greatly struggles to poop and it destroys me to see her in so much pain during those moments :(

I have all the professional/medical interventions in place but was just wondering if there is anything I can do at home to help?

Thanks in advance!

I have experience with constipation, but mine was side effect od chemotherapy for cancer. I got rid of it with Movicol. It is a powder that you melt in water and drink. Don't know if it is available in the USA. In addition, add fieber rich food or a fig and plum syrup.

I’m sorry, I have shut down recently on communications as well.. and even as I type this out am actively trying to dissuade myself of any relevance.. but I’ll say it none-the-less hoping maybe something helps.

My 40yo self can’t relate to actual constipation.. but can relate to fairly painful sometimes spastic bowel movement that seems somewhat like constipation, seeming like my system is in an autopilot process of evacuating my entire intestines over the course of an extended period (normal bm: 5-10mins, other: 30mins+) which seems like far too much work for what is expended and it’s light consistency.. but cramping, stomache knots, cold sweats, loss of energy, some extensive bouts of barely manageable pain doubling me over further and on rare occasion; losing consciousness altogether and waking to lying in a mess on the floor.

I’m not straining, I eat a balanced diet and have regular bowel movements but on bad days, some movements the body handles entirely forcefully on it’s own, no incontinence but usually at least vaguely urgent when arising and I am unable to do anything but sit down and wait it out..

So far I have not seen any correlation with diet after trying various elimination diets.
I have noticed that I can usually tell by how my nerves/senses are responding as to the likelihood of such happening that day but unfortunately I have tried opted solutions across a large gambut, the only relief I’ve gotten has been from painkillers, even just basic ones like Advil liquigels, not much mind you but enough that I don’t feel like I’m dying on the throne.

I don’t like that as a solution due to other concerns but it’s all I’ve had work for me so far and take sparingly, hopefully soon may have better ideas to work with once GI work is further explored.

My 4yo daughter has only noticeably had random bouts of nausea/stomachache, no issues with bowels movements so far, so sorry I cannot be of more help in that aspect. She does rub both front and back in occasional bouts of discomfort but usually due to not wiping efficiently.

New Threads

Top Bottom