• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensitivity to electrical stimulation

V.I.P Member
A couple of times when I've had minor sprains and injuries (back, shoulder) I've been to physiotherapy and they've wired me up to one of those electrical stimulation machines (do they even use those any more?).

I remember the first time I tried it there was a woman in the next booth (separated by a thin partition about 7 feet high). Her physio wanted to connect her up and she was really frightened, she had tried it before and didn't like it. The physio eventually talked her into giving it a try at the lowest setting.

My physio later put the electrodes on my back and asked me to tell him when it became unpleasant. He kept prompting me as he turned up the juice "How is that? Is that okay?". Eventually he asked me if I was comfortable with the machine at that setting and I said that it was fine and he could go higher. He said "that will have to do, it is already on the highest setting". It just felt like a pleasant vibration.

Everyone I have ever heard speak about those machines really hates them.

142857 - What you are referring to is a TENS unit. More commonly available nowadays from most pharmacy chains.
More info at -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcutaneous_electrical_nerve_stimulation

I made one a few years back from an electronics magazine article. Man, you could make your arm shoot straight out if you could stand it!!!
I think the shop bought ones aren't as powerful.

Something like those things was used on me on my head when I was about 10 or younger. Not for the same reason than for you tho. After that no anymore.

But how about going to massage instead? They are relaxing and usually more effective.

New Threads

Top Bottom