• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Scripting phone calls

I don't do this for phone calls but I do write things out if there is someone I need to convey something I feel is important IRL. I usually do this three to four days in advance and review and edit it many times as I usually come off as being aggressive and angry without even realizing that is how the other person is taking it. I also write things out when I am going to the doctor but usually just hand them what I have wrote down to keep for their records and don't have to stumble through reading it to them.

l actually like the phone and prefer it then talking directly to people. I don't have to look and you, and l can cut to heart of the matter quickly . If talking in person, then l have to have my crystal ball and read what you aren't saying, especially since l have an extensive customer service background.

I don't try to script the entire phone call. If *I* tried that, I would obsess over the different responses that I might get until I never called at all. :rolleyes: However, I do mentally prepare exactly what I want to say when someone answers the phone. I normally converse okay--I have my weird, awkward moments, but I can generally respond pretty well once the conversation is going. My problem mostly seems to be organizing my thoughts in order to clearly express why I'm calling.

I have the same problem with answering my phone. Sometimes, I won't answer it. Instead, I'll call back after I've had a moment to prepare myself to speak with whomever it is who is calling. I'm fine when I don't. This part, at least, is an anxiety thing for me.

Last edited:
It depends on how well I know the person and the comfort level I feel in regards to him or her. If it's someone I'm close to, then no, I won't script phone calls. If it's someone I'm getting to know, then I'll possibly write a list of things to perhaps talk about to prevent awkwardness and pauses...that is, when someone is able to get me on the phone in the first place. I hate phone calls. I'd rather meet up in person. ☺

6w83wjkdu1e41.jpg

I used to write out scripts many years ago, and still had difficulties. Now I just jot down important points to make sure I don't forget to bring up those points. Sometimes it gets messy, but as I get older I don't care so much what people think of me.

Questions like this are why I like this forum. Because you can ask questions and no one judges, and also it confirms that you are not the only one who struggles with these things.

Last edited:
I used to keep an index card next to the phone with excuses for getting off the phone...
Someone is at the door
The dog just threw up
My husband just fell off the roof(bwahahahaaaa)
I once ended a phone call with “got to hang up, my cat is on fire” and the other person got angry because it was a lame excuse but my cat had actually set itself on fire by snuggling up to a lit candle.

I once ended a phone call with “got to hang up, my cat is on fire” and the other person got angry because it was a lame excuse but my cat had actually set itself on fire by snuggling up to a lit candle.

Omg, l guess that was a true curiosity Almost killed the cat.
I hate phone calls. If l think too much, l sink into sludge. If l stick with the flow, then l can get thru.

New Threads

Top Bottom